PDA

View Full Version : Stolen CC #

Lucinda
05-04-2007, 07:24 AM
over Easter someone got ahold of my cc # and started charging . since it was good friday , my bank was closed so could'nt do anything. I did however find out the email addy this person was using it was quam_gas@yahoo.com . I checked out profile and it had just been made two days before charges started to appear. The company that gave me the email addy that was used to buy something did refund the charges. The other charge the did go through was from netzero . The netzero email they wanted was rogercole@netzero.com. Netzero wouldn't refund the money ,but bank took care of it. There were a few bigger charges ,but luckily they didn't make it through . Closed card asap when bank opened. Sad people dont have more to do then sit on here and try to steal other people's money.

~Kathie
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Sorry that happened to you. It must be a small bank not to have an 800 24/7 number??

Glad it all worked out and you caught it. I check my balances all the time almost every day.

AdLibCorner
05-04-2007, 06:48 PM
You might want to get one of those reloadable cards to use online. Also, PayPal offers a virtual credit card number good for one use. I think it is still a free service with PP.

A few things I do to protect myself...
1 -Use a totally different bank than the one we use for our personal business to shop or do offers online. This makes it impossible to get from one account to the other if hacked.
2 - Keep a relatively low balance.
3- Use a PO Box for the bank account I use online. I happen to use a MailBox ETC because you get a regular street address with them. For the $33 a quarter I pay, I earn it back in freebies, offers and other things I would not otherwise participate in. Again, no one online can find my home street address.
4- Set up an email address specifically for the use with PayPal to connect with my bank.

By having the MBE address, I feel safer signing up for a lot more offers.

sammielynn
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
This is scary stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
05-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! Seems to be so common on these boards lately!

I agree with the previous poster!

I have a prepaid credit card I used for offers and a p.o. box too. It just gets so scary!