PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express Questions

SunshineGirl
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I think I was totally confused about how this thing works. I could have sworn that I read that you could take the Magical Express straight from the airport to the Magic Kingdom. Weren't they promoting something where you could get right off the plane and head to the parks?? Now what I am seeing is that you MUST go to your hotel first.

Here's my problem. I booked flights for us for October 21 so that the girls could just leave school early and we could still get to MNSSHP. So our flight leaves Indy at 4:00 and gets to Orlando at 6:25. I figured if we could head straight to the park, we would be there by 7 and still have 5 hours to play, catch the parades, fireworks, etc.

Now if we have to leave the airport at 6:30 and head to the resort and THEN go to the park, we may be lucky to get there by 8:00. :( Help!!

Plus one other problem...laptops. We'll have our laptops on the plane with us but will definitely not want to take them to the park.

I feel like my whole plan is turning into a disaster!

jnorth1007
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Honestly I would probably order a car to meet you then you can run out of the plane and meet the car and not have to wait for Magical Express. I have heard of people having to wait for Magical Express to leave because they are waiting for other people to get off of their planes. This way you can get to the resort quicker and maybe drop off your stuff at bag check and leave. I don't know what kind of timing you would be looking at with that but I am sure it would be quicker that ME to the resort and then to MK. The driver might even be able to take you from the resort to the Contemporary where you could do a 10 min walk to the MK and you can skip the monorail and the time it will take.

Hedy
07-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Honestly I would probably order a car to meet you then you can run out of the plane and meet the car and not have to wait for Magical Express. I have heard of people having to wait for Magical Express to leave because they are waiting for other people to get off of their planes. This way you can get to the resort quicker and maybe drop off your stuff at bag check and leave. I don't know what kind of timing you would be looking at with that but I am sure it would be quicker that ME to the resort and then to MK. The driver might even be able to take you from the resort to the Contemporary where you could do a 10 min walk to the MK and you can skip the monorail and the time it will take.

I'm with Janet, but as you'll have laptops, if you room isn't ready or you don't want to stop, would you want to leave them with Bell Services? Maybe renting a car 1 way might be a good idea.

disney_girl
07-02-2008, 09:16 AM
The only other thing I can think of other than Janet's advice is to rent a car for that day. Then you could leave your laptops and luggage in the car while you go to MK. I know that there are some rental companies in some hotels near Downtown Disney. But that may be more trouble than you want to deal with!

icartjetta
07-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Or you could have someone that you know from Orlando, pick you up!:rolleyes:

SunshineGirl
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM

You are the best!!

m 'n c
07-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Don't you know she was baiting you this whole time??

SunshineGirl
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM

LOL! My first thought was actually to jump in a car with the girls and leave SG at the airport to do all of the work.

pbhall13
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM

That entered my mind!!!!

Too funny Cate!

LOL! My first thought was actually to jump in a car with the girls and leave SG at the airport to do all of the work.

Now that could work too, poor SG!

Hope you have been able to figure this out......cutting it close is tough and when you have planned it down to the minute/hour you want it to work out!!!

Good luck Tricia!

Pamela

chipndale
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM

That would have been what we would have done. But a car rental or having someone pick you up and drop you off at the MK will save alot of time. The most we have ever waited for Magical Express was about 30 minutes but you also are taking the chance that your hotel will be the last drop off and you will be sitting on the bus while they drop off the others at their resort. :cry:

schaery
07-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Hmm.....that should be worth a free trip to the park! :)

jenvance
07-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I have heard that sometimes you have to wait for a while with Magical Express. We always drive not fly but the hotel will take your stuff to your room for you I believe.

LauraLea
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Remember Tricia, you will have to wait for luggage (unless you are doing all carry-on). You cannot just send the luggage w/out using the bus.

Laura

SunshineGirl
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Remember Tricia, you will have to wait for luggage (unless you are doing all carry-on). You cannot just send the luggage w/out using the bus.

Laura

I wonder if we sent Kevin with the luggage on the ME while we went in the car with Traci straight to the park? Then we would probably be at the park by about 7 and Kevin might get there about 8:30. The only problem with that is that our MNSSHP tickets are at Will Call at the Ticket and Transportation Center under HIS name. :(

bbangel
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Have him call and switch the tickets to your name. And you should be able to grab them at any Guest Services window.

Magical JenK
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Laura

Interesting....You mark your bags before you arrive, they arrive at the resort AFTER you do, how would they know if you didn't take the DME?? I've only used the DME & NOT done the bag thing (we've always gotten our bags)....so when you do the bag thing do they ask you to confirm about your luggage when you check in at the DME counter? Not trying to start trouble, just curious how it works if you do the bag thing.

Anyway, Tricia where do you think you read that? :rotfl: Sorry, but I think that's funny. I DARE you to post this question on the disboards!! :angel: I think Traci should pick you up or you should rent a car. If you do National or Alamo, you can drop it off at the Dolphin resort the next morning & pick up a bus to the park of your choice!!

It will all work out!!

SunshineGirl
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Anyway, Tricia where do you think you read that? :rotfl: Sorry, but I think that's funny. I DARE you to post this question on the disboards!! :angel:

You'd love to watch that show, wouldn't you? LOL!

Maybe I'll check with SG and see what he thinks about trying to get the names switched so that the girls can go on ahead. It would save us not only the time of stopping by the hotel (which wouldn't be more than about 15 minutes) but also the time of waiting for the luggage (which could be another half an hour). So the question becomes whether it is worth 45 minutes to have SG with us. LOL! If it were a normal day in the park, I would absolutely wait an hour or so. But we're only going to get in about 4-5 hours of MNSSHP as it is and we are used to being there 6-7 hours.

Magical JenK
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Heck yeah!! :popcorn:

3dog2kidmom
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Maybe I'll check with SG and see what he thinks about trying to get the names switched so that the girls can go on ahead. It would save us not only the time of stopping by the hotel (which wouldn't be more than about 15 minutes) but also the time of waiting for the luggage (which could be another half an hour). So the question becomes whether it is worth 45 minutes to have SG with us. LOL! If it were a normal day in the park, I would absolutely wait an hour or so. But we're only going to get in about 4-5 hours of MNSSHP as it is and we are used to being there 6-7 hours.

Hi Tricia,

We have used ME a bunch. Yes, you do have to ride if your luggage is along (don't ask me how they would know otherwise but it is the rule). There is usually a significant wait to get the bus so not ideal if you have party tickets. You do not, however, have to wait for your luggage at your resort. It will be delivered directly to your room whether you are there or not. As for your laptops, you can leave them with bell services at the resort and catch your bus to the MK. Where are you staying again? We are actually getting in that same evening but our flight doesn't land until 8:00 so there is no way we can make the party.

I think what I might do if it was me is rent a towncar for you and the girls to go straight to the MK and if he is willing let SG take ME with your carryons to the hotel and meet you at the party. Or if Traci picks you up the same thing :)

LauraLea
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Interesting....You mark your bags before you arrive, they arrive at the resort AFTER you do, how would they know if you didn't take the DME??

Some people have reported successfully getting their bags w/out riding the bus. But you do have to check-in at the ME counter, and if you don't I suppose there is a possibility they will not get your luggage if you do not. Then again when you board the bus you have to present your voucher, again if you do not board, they may not pull your luggage.

When the question is asked of WDW, they say they will not transport your luggage unless you ride ME. But, there is always the possibility their systems cannot support this. (LOL - imagine that!) Not sure though if it is worth the risk of not getting your luggage. I've not read on the DIS if anyone actually have not rec'd luggage, but I never really searched to find out.

Just a heads up. So if SG is OK with lagging behind to do the grunt work, it should work.

Laura

chipndale
07-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Tricia - I think that you should ask that question over on the Dis boards also. It will make for some good reading and I really don't have much planned for this weekend because of all the rain we are suppose to get. :popcorn:

askomsky
07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Tricia - I think that you should ask that question over on the Dis boards also. It will make for some good reading and I really don't have much planned for this weekend because of all the rain we are suppose to get. :popcorn:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: HA HA HA! I just noticed your new tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UGH And since I noticed you had one, I thought better check mine... SURE ENOUGH>>>>>>>>>> ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
I got myself a new one too!

Magical JenK
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
UGH And since I noticed you had one, I thought better check mine... SURE ENOUGH>>>>>>>>>> ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Ooo I got a new one too...I just said it today...Sunshine Tag Fairy has been BUSY!!!:thanks:

chipndale
07-03-2008, 12:25 AM

Hey, I finally managed to get a tag! And it is sooooo true. I do like my bubbly esp. after a day of listening to my ds4 ramble on all day long.

ligrumpygirl
07-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Ooo I got a new one too...I just said it today...Sunshine Tag Fairy has been BUSY!!!:thanks:

WOW I woke up to all these new tags! See what happens when I spend time with DH?? Everybody gets a tag but me...think he will understand when I tell him "Sorry no "us" time tonight...the tag fairy might be out??" Oh well, she will just have to catch me being witty at another time...I do say oh so many witty things! ;)

Have a great day, oh fabulous tag fairy (a girl can suck up can't she??!)! :angel:

3dog2kidmom
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Oh well, she will just have to catch me being witty at another time...I do say oh so many witty things! ;)

Lucky is the girl who gets caught saying witty things and not stupid ones -- that would be my luck, LOL!

llgray16
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
The only thing you aren't taking into account is what if your flight is delayed or the flights change? With all the troubles/changes with the airlines, there is a good possibility of that happening. Is that the only night you can do MNSSHP?

SunshineGirl
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
The only thing you aren't taking into account is what if your flight is delayed or the flights change? With all the troubles/changes with the airlines, there is a good possibility of that happening. Is that the only night you can do MNSSHP?

It's our only shot at all. They don't have it Wednesday and then we get on the cruise ship Thursday morning. The ship gets in Sunday morning and we have to have the girls back for school on Monday. If I didn't care about them missing school, it wouldn't be such a problem because we could fly out any time that day on Tuesday. But DD7 is ADAMANT that she not miss school.

llgray16
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
It's our only shot at all. They don't have it Wednesday and then we get on the cruise ship Thursday morning. The ship gets in Sunday morning and we have to have the girls back for school on Monday. If I didn't care about them missing school, it wouldn't be such a problem because we could fly out any time that day on Tuesday. But DD7 is ADAMANT that she not miss school.

That is a tough one. I would hate to put that much money (for the tix) in the hands of the airlines. Not to be a downer but I haven't had one flight lately that hasn't been delayed or changed. Is there any way you can get an earlier flight?

SunshineGirl
07-03-2008, 01:39 PM
That is a tough one. I would hate to put that much money (for the tix) in the hands of the airlines. Not to be a downer but I haven't had one flight lately that hasn't been delayed or changed. Is there any way you can get an earlier flight?

The only earlier flight we could get would have them missing school the whole day. It's pretty much this one or not even trying to go (which would be the first time that we have missed in years). The problem is that our school switched from a full week of fall break to 3 days of fall break. So it has pretty much ruined our fall vacations. GRRR!! I keep hoping that they will change it back if enough people complain.

I guess if we don't show up, we'll have to call Traci and have her take her family instead. LOL!

disney_girl
07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that's tough! I think I would have to go with either the rental car that you could return to the Dolphin (??) or having that special Orlando resident pick you up! I just don't see it working out as well if you use magical express the timing is completely out of your hands (and you have the laptop issue).

llgray16
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
The only earlier flight we could get would have them missing school the whole day. It's pretty much this one or not even trying to go (which would be the first time that we have missed in years). The problem is that our school switched from a full week of fall break to 3 days of fall break. So it has pretty much ruined our fall vacations. GRRR!! I keep hoping that they will change it back if enough people complain.

I guess if we don't show up, we'll have to call Traci and have her take her family instead. LOL!

We don't even get a fall break. I wish we would get some time off during the school year that would be good for a trip!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. I'm sure you all will have a great time at WDW and on the cruise!

nurseminnie76
07-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Tricia, I hope the flights work out for you. We have sorta the same issue. I bought tickets for my parents to go with DD and I to the party. Their flight doesn't get in until close to 6:00. DD and I are just going to go without them and then we will meet up when they arrive. This is our first Halloween party so DD is really looking forward to it.