PDA

View Full Version : Exchange City

speechteachri
06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
If any of you ever get the chance to send your kids to a program called Exchange City...It is a nationwide program for economics...DEFINATELY DO IT!!!!

Many public schools have been doing this program as well as many homeschoolers (like us). It is a 6 week curriculum that is taught to the children (a little tough if you only have one and homeschool like me, we had to modify a lot of the group lessons) in all areas of economics supply/demand, starting and running a business, keeping a checkbook, etc....

Then the culminating event is a two day thing at "the city". The first day is a general run through and instructions, the second day is the kids running the city! It gave the kids a great taste of "real life" and was a great opportunity for them to learn teamwork, responsibility, money management, scheduling, etc. I was a parent volunteer, so I got to see the whole day first hand. It was a lot of fun but also a lot of work, and kind of stressful in some ways. The kids were really tired by the end, but everyone seemed to have a great time overall.

A great opportunity if you have the opportutiny to participate!!

cglaura
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks! That looks very interesting. Unfortunately not in NJ, but there is alot of good info and downloads I can use somewhere in my lessons. I like the pre/post assesment tests.