PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to WDW

linanglab
07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Okay....no....I am not going on my FIRST trip. But my sister and her family are leaving mid August with her 4 kids (8, 7, 4, & 4 months) and my parents.

I was explaining EMH and fast pass with her today. She needed to feed baby, so she is calling me back to get more info. Anything I need to tell her? I probably will remember most things, but I am sure I will forget some.

My sis has gone to WDW before, but about 10 years ago, with only her DH and her.

She is staying at ASSports, I think - a value at any rate.

Any help? I love planning. Even if it is not for me! (However, for me it is still much more fun! LOL)

faithhope
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
ideas
- baby swap
- your favorite parades/fireworks/shows
- food
- favorite things to pack in your bag to take into the park for the day
- the stroller rental price

How fun... I'm so ready to start planning again... but if I start too soon I'll drive my family bonkers.

linanglab
07-14-2008, 11:25 AM
ideas
- baby swap
- your favorite parades/fireworks/shows
- food
- favorite things to pack in your bag to take into the park for the day
- the stroller rental price

How fun... I'm so ready to start planning again... but if I start too soon I'll drive my family bonkers.

But you can drive US bonkers!!!! We are all bonkers around here, you know? We LOVE planning. It is never too early, is it????? LOL

Thanks for the ideas! When she calls back, I will keep this thread open to help me remember things. I forgot about babyswap because I never had to use it! Thanks for that reminder!

They are driving, so they will already have a stroller, but I will remind her that her other kids may need a breather with a stroller....

disney_girl
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Also since she will have a little one, you might tell her about the Baby Care Centers that are in each park- usually near the entrance. They are a nice place to get out of the heat to change diapers, feed, breastfeed, etc! And if you happen to forget or run out of something (diapers, meds etc) you can buy some there in a pinch.

I don't know if you guys do the photopass, but if you prepurchase it, the cost is $99.95 including shipping. http://www.disneyphotopass.com/previsitcdplan.aspx

I'll see if I can think of anything else...

m 'n c
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I would mention eating times. I am sure you have her set up for ADRs but it's the counter service that can get really crowded. I would tell her to try to eat as close to 11:30 as she can as it will help.

How about those glow sticks at Dollar tree vs. in the parks? Might save a few bucks. Sending packages to the resort when you shop vs. carrying them throughout the parks with you.

Rotate air conditioned rides/attractions with those that are outside.

Bring water with her but she might want to pack some kool aid singles/crystal light/propel so that they don't feel sick drinking that much water. The flavor helps a little with that sick feeling.

chipndale
07-14-2008, 12:51 PM
So far all great suggestions. My cousin just took his family for the first time the end of June and they didn't want to hear anything about the parks and they had a terrible time and didn't see any magic at WDW and they will never go back. So if your sister is listening to you that is a big plus. I would suggest telling her to have a plan of attack for the day(I am sure that you are helping with that) and then to be flexible - you never know what is going to happen while you are there. Just enjoy and soak up the magic! Can you believe that my cousin and his family hated Disney?

lrsellars
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
We used a product called Aquadry (a towel for drying your car off) that we wet and placed on my youngest daughters legs while she was riding in the stroller. I had read on the DIS that someone used it for their baby to keep them cool and it REALLY does work!!! It's even better then the neck coolers - we have both. My youngest has a TERRIBLE time in the sun/heat so I knew I better try it. It would be the ideal size for a baby.

disney_girl
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
We used a product called Aquadry (a towel for drying your car off) that we wet and placed on my youngest daughters legs while she was riding in the stroller. I had read on the DIS that someone used it for their baby to keep them cool and it REALLY does work!!! It's even better then the neck coolers - we have both. My youngest has a TERRIBLE time in the sun/heat so I knew I better try it. It would be the ideal size for a baby.

That's a great idea! Especially when they are in the stroller with their legs exposed to the sun so long!

disneyforever
07-14-2008, 05:49 PM
So far all great suggestions. My cousin just took his family for the first time the end of June and they didn't want to hear anything about the parks and they had a terrible time and didn't see any magic at WDW and they will never go back. So if your sister is listening to you that is a big plus. I would suggest telling her to have a plan of attack for the day(I am sure that you are helping with that) and then to be flexible - you never know what is going to happen while you are there. Just enjoy and soak up the magic! Can you believe that my cousin and his family hated Disney?

I cannot imagine anyone hating Disney! One of my brothers doesn't hate it exactly - but he would only prefer to go once every 10 years or so - and only for a day or 2. DH and I are completey opposite. I go thru withdrawls if I don't go to DL (it's closer to me) at least every 6 months. WDW is harder for us to get to but we are actually going twice this year.

JOLAROCHE
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
ponchos if going in August is a must.

Also you might want to mention lockers if they have to much to carry.

I used a backpack on the stroller when my sonwas little.

bs4free
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Some good shoes and lots of water, lots of sunscreen and too have fun!

Photopass???? Pre-buy Photopass cd and how that works Is a good idea too!

pbhall13
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Angela.....

if she is at all iffy about using fastpass or parent swap I know that the disney mom panel made videos on these.........you should have her or hubby check it out (I know sometimes when i try to explain this to some people they get a little confused)

Pamela

linanglab
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
These are all good suggestions! Thanks! I talked her through itinerary stuff. Get this.....she is on the dining plan and only has 1....I repeat......1.....ADR. My poor sister.....where have I gone wrong!

I gave her some eating suggestions and she was going to call to see if anything is open.

I love the car rag idea for keeping cool. Never would have thought of that. With a 4 month old, that will be very useful.

She is not going to do photopass. Shocking, I know. But her kids would not cooperate, I am sure, and are just not interested.

They are super excited. I told her she won't see and do everything. They will be there for about 4-5 days. I told her the must sees and the absolutely do not waste time things (well...one....Stitch).

Anything else?

chipndale
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=linanglab;162156]These are all good suggestions! Thanks! I talked her through itinerary stuff. Get this.....she is on the dining plan and only has 1....I repeat......1.....ADR. My poor sister.....where have I gone wrong!/QUOTE]

Well, I guess you must be the much more intellegent sister! Just be glad that you have her calling about getting some more ADRs.

linanglab
07-15-2008, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=linanglab;162156]These are all good suggestions! Thanks! I talked her through itinerary stuff. Get this.....she is on the dining plan and only has 1....I repeat......1.....ADR. My poor sister.....where have I gone wrong!/QUOTE]

Well, I guess you must be the much more intellegent sister! Just be glad that you have her calling about getting some more ADRs.

I would like to think that I am the more intelligent one! LOL However, she is a pretty smart cookie. But I got the WDW smarts.

llgray16
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Which days is she going in particular? August is a tough time and very careful planning as to park selection should be done to really get the most out of their trip. If you post her days and what they want to do, I may be able to provide some suggestions to avoid some of the crowds :D

I would highly recommend that she spend the less than $20 for a subscription to Tour Guide Mike (use the link on the DIS theme park page to get a discount.) It would give her lots of great tips for park touring, etc.

kerry34
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
All the suggestions on here are great so far. I also wanted to add something little, but useful. Tell her to put something around the handle of her stroller that is brightly colored so it will make the stroller stick out when she goes back to retrieve it. Even if she is using her own, if there are alot of strollers in the area she will have an easy way of identifying it immediately. Also if her kids are going to have ice cream tell her to put drink lids through the ice cream stick, it is a good way to keep it from dripping all over and making a mess. I did this with my little ones and it saved a big mess of mickey bar chocolate from getting all over. If I can think of anything else I will post.

linanglab
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Which days is she going in particular? August is a tough time and very careful planning as to park selection should be done to really get the most out of their trip. If you post her days and what they want to do, I may be able to provide some suggestions to avoid some of the crowds :D

I would highly recommend that she spend the less than $20 for a subscription to Tour Guide Mike (use the link on the DIS theme park page to get a discount.) It would give her lots of great tips for park touring, etc.

Her dates are August 18-22. I tried to get her to get TGM a couple months ago, and she did not. Maybe I ought to put a bug in her ear again. She is calling today for more ADR's. I told her I was calling her tonight to make sure she called. She is a bit of a procrastinator....You CANNOT procrastinate when it comes to WDW! LOL

linanglab
07-16-2008, 11:42 AM
All the suggestions on here are great so far. I also wanted to add something little, but useful. Tell her to put something around the handle of her stroller that is brightly colored so it will make the stroller stick out when she goes back to retrieve it. Even if she is using her own, if there are alot of strollers in the area she will have an easy way of identifying it immediately. Also if her kids are going to have ice cream tell her to put drink lids through the ice cream stick, it is a good way to keep it from dripping all over and making a mess. I did this with my little ones and it saved a big mess of mickey bar chocolate from getting all over. If I can think of anything else I will post.

Great thought! I did that when my kids were younger, and plum forgot! (okay....that plum word made me giggle a bit....what a silly phrase!) When I call her about her ADR's I will let her know these things too. Thanks so much!

llgray16
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Her dates are August 18-22. I tried to get her to get TGM a couple months ago, and she did not. Maybe I ought to put a bug in her ear again. She is calling today for more ADR's. I told her I was calling her tonight to make sure she called. She is a bit of a procrastinator....You CANNOT procrastinate when it comes to WDW! LOL

OK she is going some of the dame day as us. Here is what I would suggest for her days (and the reason(s) why)

Aug 18th - Epoct (EMH-AM @ AK, Mondays never good at MK and EMH-PM @DHS)
Aug 19th - MK (I'm sure they want to get this in as soon as possible and this would be a good day for it!)
Aug 20th - DHS (good day and they have already been to MK and Epcot and want to avoid EMH at AK)
Aug 21st - AK (so many people got AK in last night that it would be good to go today)
Aug 22nd - If they are looking to do a water park this would be a great day for it; if they are looking for another park I would say anyone except EP (EMH-PM)
Aug 23rd - Any park except water parks (weekends mean lots of locals) and DHS (has EMH @ AM)
Aug 24th - I don't know if they have any time this day or not. If they do I would recommend getting in Epcot one more time.

Those are just my recommendations based on our experiences around EMH. As you can see we aren't big fans of EMH. There are just too man rooms on property and so many people want to take advantage of EMH. We find that we get less done when do an EMH versus avoiding those parks on those days. We have had great luck in avoiding crowds and maximizing our time in the parks! The only exception would be evening EMH if they are prepared to stay up very late (as in after midnight/ 1am.)

Don't forget to tell her that there will be no Spectromagic parade while she is there due to the closure of the bridge between Liberty Square and Main St.

I hope she and her family have a wonderful trip!

linanglab
07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks Lynn. I will pass these dates on to her. Aprreciate your time! :)

I will let you know what days she has decided for which parks. She may have most of them planned though, because of some ADR's she is making. Not sure. They do have park hoppers, but I highly doubt they will use them very much if any.

llgray16
07-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks Lynn. I will pass these dates on to her. Aprreciate your time! :)

I will let you know what days she has decided for which parks. She may have most of them planned though, because of some ADR's she is making. Not sure. They do have park hoppers, but I highly doubt they will use them very much if any.

Your welcome :) It is fun planning other people's trips. My best friend is taking her girls for their first trip in Aug but she is the type that doesn't want to take any advice. I'm sure they will have a good time but it would be better if she listened to me :cool:

I hope your sis gets the ADRs she wants! I called a couple weeks ago and had a hard time getting anything I wanted. I have to call again today and switch a few things around. I'm not too optimistic of getting what we want but doesn't hurt to try :p

linanglab
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Your welcome :) It is fun planning other people's trips. My best friend is taking her girls for their first trip in Aug but she is the type that doesn't want to take any advice. I'm sure they will have a good time but it would be better if she listened to me :cool:

I hope your sis gets the ADRs she wants! I called a couple weeks ago and had a hard time getting anything I wanted. I have to call again today and switch a few things around. I'm not too optimistic of getting what we want but doesn't hurt to try :p

She got a couple of odd times - 2:45 and 3:45. I told her to call everyday, that something might open up. She is stressed about times of her meals and which parks she is at and not being able to utilize her park hopper because of meal times, etc. I told her to relax, and just make it part of her routine to call every morning to see if anything opens up. My sister is taking my advice - a bit late though. I should have taken over for her 4 months ago! LOL