PDA

View Full Version : worried about my f-i-l and our trip...

speechteachri
06-30-2007, 03:07 PM
My f-i-l has been struggling with Parkinson's for some time. He is only in his 60s. It's been really sad. Last Sept he and m-i-l moved up to my s-i-ls house to live with them and he has struggled with many pnumonias but always rallies back. He has been doing really well, and was even scheduled to go to FL on 7/18 with m-i-l for my nephew's wedding on the 21st. Well this week he got pneumonia again. He was doing better, but is now doing worse again. So much so that he has now been put on hospice care at his own request. He is really ready. He is struggling to breath, has many bedsores, and is in a lot of pain and cries out just to move. It's very hard on my s-i-l, m-i-l, and the whole family. I keep being thankful that I am not there right now (how terrible of me!).

Anyway, we are scheduled to fly to Disney on 7/12...(less than 2 weeks from today) for 8 days at Disney, then 3 days with the family in the Tampa area for the wedding. My dh is even the photographer for the wedding, so it's not like we could just skip out and come home early. We felt comfortable making the arrangements because he was doing so much better over the past few months.

Now I am feeling SO selfish thinking that it might be better if things happened quickly. I feel so terrible for thinking that way. I don't know what to do. I love my f-i-l very much, and would love to see him rally and be around longer, but I don't know. I would hate to get to Disney and worry the whole time about him, or worse...have to come home for a funeral. I feel so terrible! Selfishly I keep thinking that we cannot afford a trip like this one again for at least another two to three years, but I also don't want to wish my f-i-l- to die so we can go. I think whatever happens at this point there will be a cloud over the trip.

I just had to write down my feelings somewhere...I guess I am looking for some sympathy, and knowing that many of you are Disney lovers, like we are, I thought this would be a good place to do it. I thought you all might understand.

I'm not having a good day!:( :(

zoodoyle
06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
I completely understand - we went through a similar experience a couple years ago. My Grandmother passed away a week before we were to leave for our disney trip. She had been sick for a while, and we knew it was a matter of time. I remember all the conflicting feelings I had at the time, all the guilt I felt for even thinking about how my vacation may be effected.... My Grandmother ended up passing peacefully on Christmas Eve, we had a lovely celebration of her life and love on Christmas with our whole family, and we were still able to enjoy our vacation the following week, as we knew she would have wanted us to!! My thoughts and prayers are with you!! :hugs:

sunshinemckenzie
06-30-2007, 11:09 PM
:hugs: :hugs:
Situations like these are hard for everyone. I can only imagine the inner struggle you are facing. God be with you and your family. Sending you many prayers and thoughts and:hugs: :hugs:

coastalgirl
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope today finds you having a better day than yesterday! My prayers to you and your family!:hugs: