PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland for the first time

schachteles
07-18-2008, 02:45 PM
My best friend from junior high is getting married in February in San Diego...my DH and I think that this is a great opportunity for us to spend a day at Disneyland...I wish we could do more then one day, but since we already have a 10 night trip/cruise to Disney World in November with the kids, we have to be cost sensitive, since this trip as the whole was not in the budget.

But I was just looking at the tickets...you can get a single day park hopper for $91 or a single day one park pass for $66. Which do you think is best to do? We have never been to Disneyland, only Disney World too many times to count.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions!!

SunshineGirl
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
SG and I went to DL for one day last month. I was just like you and had been to WDW many times but never DL. I was really glad that we did both parks for a couple of reasons. The first was that DL was so small compared to WDW. The second was that I think that CA is a huge part of the whole DL experience. It's what makes DL so much different than WDW.

That said, we didn't have kids with us. So we were not as into riding the rides as what we would have been if we had the kids with us. So that is something to think about.

schachteles
07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah I just mentioned to my DH about doing both...since it will just be the two of us that is a great way to check it out...and have some adult time...and it looks like there are more adult rides at Adventure.

bbangel
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Definately do both! There are some great shows and attractions in CA and the walk time between the two parks is only a few minutes. You could go back and forth multiple times in one day if you wanted to and not waste that much time. Last time I was there we hit a parade in DL, a parade CA, and fireworks in DL. That can be a little tough when the parks are crowded but park hopping is much easier than WDW!

gpp2001
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
You'll want to go to California Adventure before they change it!!!

Karn

disneyforever
07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
DH and I go to DL about every 6 months. You should do both parks. If for no other reason to get a feel for both in order to go back one day and spend more time and money there. :rotfl:

I love both parks, but we usually end up spending more time at California Adventure - due to the big rides and less crowds. There is better food and they serve alcohol too. :angel:

You won't be able to do everything in both parks, so be sure to do some of the rides that WDW doesn't have. Mr. Toad, Nemo subs, California Screamin, Space Mountain (WDW has - but CA is better), Pirates (same reason as Space), ect. If you want a good restaurant in DL to eat at - try the Blue Bayou. Yummy food.

SunshineGirl
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I was glad that we did Pirates and Haunted Mansion there. There was a really obvious difference to me almost as soon as HM started. Something subtle about the WAY that they made the ride. But something that I noticed immediately.

We had some great food in CA. But I would like to eat at Blue Bayou sometime as well. Just seems like it would be cool to be eating and watching the Pirate ships go by.

juliokirkland
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd definetly get the parkhopper and do both parks. Parkhopping is so more convenient at DL than at WDW.

Dining at Blue Bayou is such a unique experience. If you do plan to dine there, defienitely request waterside seating. A great tip to ensure this if you plan to dine there during lunch, is to request the first seating of the day. I'm not sure if it's 11 or 11:30am but you are pretty much guaranteed a waterside table then.

keishashadow
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
We went less than a month ago...wish i were there now lol

BlueBayou was wonderful, get the pirate ship brownie thing....DH was so excited to see the pirate ship:D

Space Mt & BTM were different & interesting...im glad i got to ride the dark rides not @ WDW (Alice, Mr Toad, Pinocchio)

def. glad we worked the trip in:)

Mandi
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd do both parks too if you can afford it. There are such great rides at both it'd be a shame to totally miss one of the parks.

As to Blue Bayou, I'm in the minority. I don't care for the food there. I love the ambiance though. However, if I had only 1 day to be there, I'd skip the character/TS meals and just snack on the fly. All of the TS meals take close to 2 hours by the time it's all said and done... and that's a lot of rides you'll be missing out on! But that's just me. I don't put too much stock in food. I'm all about the rides.

Don't think anyone mentioned Alice in Wonderland. That's only at DLR too and it's such a cute ride. You really don't want to miss that.

keishashadow
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd do both parks too if you can afford it. There are such great rides at both it'd be a shame to totally miss one of the parks.

As to Blue Bayou, I'm in the minority. I don't care for the food there. I love the ambiance though. However, if I had only 1 day to be there, I'd skip the character/TS meals and just snack on the fly. All of the TS meals take close to 2 hours by the time it's all said and done... and that's a lot of rides you'll be missing out on! But that's just me. I don't put too much stock in food. I'm all about the rides.

Don't think anyone mentioned Alice in Wonderland. That's only at DLR too and it's such a cute ride. You really don't want to miss that.

i did:D...forgot to mention Indy was AMAZING - don't miss!

Alladin show great & we liked the Monsters ride...Toy Story another goodie, yet really burns up the day even in line 1st thing, we weren't done until after well after 10 one day & the other day we waited until almost 10 then they decided the ride wouldn't be operating:headache:, so no fastpasses in CA

Mandi
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Oops. :blush: That's what I get for skimming!

schachteles
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I think we are just going to have to do both...I really wish that we had the time to spend two days there...just don't think that is going to happen. But with how my friends wedding planning is going, I am beginning to wonder if it is going to be just a getaway for my DH and I.