PDA

View Full Version : AHHH!!!! Midwest just cancelled my flight!

IckyMickey
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I just got home and read my email from Midwest cancelling my flight. I tried to go in and get a refund and it's telling me there's an error and to call them. I've been trying for a long time and it's busy! :headache:

I need to book ASAP as we're heading down around Thanksgiving and we just got our MVMCP tix for the first night we're there.

I've got 6 Airtran seats ready to pay for but want to confirm our cancellation first. Orlando wasn't one of the cities being cut nor are the date outside of their continuing service plus I can't get in and get a refund like it says!

Great, this is my mom and step-dad's first trip! Needless to say we'll need to add another $100 per person to the cost just for the new airfare!

What to do!?!? :cry:

jl8595
07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Ohh, I'm so sorry. How stressful. Good luck with everything; I hope you're able to smooth it over quickly and affordably. :hugs:

Sunni
07-21-2008, 08:46 PM
:hugs: Sorry to hear this is happening.
I hope all works out for you. Good Luck!

askomsky
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
UGH!!! So any luck? Let us know, I hope you get it straightened out. :hugs:

m4travels
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't know if you're still waiting on working the refund route, but I understand that they have "live chat" available from the website. That might be an angle for you.

Mom2aPrincess
07-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh no! How awful. I hope you get it all worked out. :hugs:

IckyMickey
07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your thoughts! I was so worried and I really appreciated a sympathetic ear! What added to all the turmoil was that we had a end of season little league party at 6:00 pm last night which I was organizing as the team mom. When I went online to check what pizzas we agreed to order, I read the Midwest email instead.

I tried for over 90 minutes to get through to Midwest just to confirm the cancellation. We live near Milwaukee so there were lots of news reports, but they were continuing service to Orlando during November so I was naively thinking it wouldn't effect us.

I went on AirTran's site to see what they offered and they only had one morning flight which was non-stop going out at 7:20 and about 60% of the plane was already full. I freaked that if everyone who was on my Midwest plane looked for the only direct flight out that morning, it would fill very quickly.

So as I continued to try calling Midwest, I entered all of our info including which seats we wanted on AirTran. Then I waited while I tried to confirm with Midwest again. In the meantime, it passed 6:00 which was the party time and I still couldn't get through. I decided to just purchase the tickets on AirTran, but when I hit purchase, it kicked me out and I had to start all over with all of our info. So now I'm worried about Midwest, late for the party and did I just puchase tickets with AirTran or did it reset? I went and entered all the info again, (the price went up $20 and the seats I wanted were already taken) and hit purchase again. This time it went through to the confirmation page.

Thankfully I've only received one confirmation email from AirTran so I bought only 6 tickets instead of 12. However, we are now paying $130 more per ticket for all 6 of us. That's another $500 for my family and $260 for my mom and step-dad's first trip to Disney ever! The direct flight is 2hrs 37 min's versus a 1 layover flight with any other carrier was about 5-1/2 hours minimum so I knew we'd be paying more but I hate layovers!

I still haven't gotten ahold of Midwest for my refund, it's still busy. I will try the chat, but it doesn't start until 12:00.

Oh yeah, I then forgot to order the pizza's until about 45 min's before the party. So in between redials, I ordered the pizzas, checked my email - 2 families had emailed me 30 min's before the party to say they weren't attending :rolleyes:, redialed Midwest, then cancelled 1 of the pizza's I had just ordered. The party ended up being very nice although I felt I was in a daze for awhile. The boys seemed to have missed eachother, we had the right amount pizza, and I received a very nice floral boquet for being "the best team parent ever.":blush:

Thanks again you guys! SR was the first place I thought to share my dilemma and have some caring replies!

Michelle

jl8595
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Wowsers Michelle! That sounds like a stressful day that doesn't bare repeating, LOL! Glad you were able to get on Airtran and hopefully Midwest will pull through with your refund. In a few months you'll be wandering around WDW and it'll all be past you.

m 'n c
07-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Glad everything worked out for you. I hope you are able to get your refund.

askomsky
07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
WOW! Sounds like a lot on your plate. (Also sounded like my week last week! lol)

I hope you get your refund and it's all taken care of.

catnapfan
07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through all that and hope everything works out in the end. I've been watching the news on Midwest closely. We have flights booked to Orlando Aug 25 and back to MCO on Aug 30. I was so worried they would cancel our flights but so far so good. I think the changes start Sept. 8th. Anyway, Midwest is our favorite airline and now they are only flying to Orlando October through April which won't work for us since we normally travel during the summer. We will probably try Air tran next year since they have a non-stop.

IckyMickey
07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks again everyone! I tried Midwest's Live Chat starting at 1:00, but I must be live chat illiterate. :rolleyes: However, I finally did get through on the phone and spoke to a really nice lady, Heidi, who had my credit processed in about 2 minutes. She was very apologetic. I actually felt bad for her, wondering how much longer she was going to have a job.

Now, everything would be even better if a code came out for November when we're going to make up for the increase. I've got my fingers crossed. :sunshine: