PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do WW without meetings?

Pooh's Pal
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone is doing the WW diet right now and could answer a few questions for me?

After the scare of my lifetime a few weeks ago, I am about to start WW as my doc says it's one of the best ways to lose weight.

I really, really can not afford to join WW right now. I've been out of work for over 2 weeks, so until I get back to work and some get some income into this house, I thought maybe I'd start by myself now. (I know SR has WW in the offer section, thanks Tricia, and I will probably join a few weeks after I get back to work, but I have to worry about paying the bills 1st)

I'm meeting a friend of mine in the morning (before I go to yet another doctor's appointment) and she I has the entire starter kit from 2 years ago, including the case, the restaurant books and the original point guide....even thou' her stuff is about 2 years old, but it should do me okay, right?

Also, I was on WW eons ago, but back when you counted calories, is the point thingy much easier?

:thanks: for any and all info my Sunshiny :sunshine: friends might have for me as I venture into unknown waters!!

m 'n c
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I do it off and on. I find that the diet really doesn't change much it's just how they are allocating the points. (ie over days or with flexing during the week). I would go with what your friend has and it should be just fine. I have a computer calculator if you want me to send it to you. It is quick and easy when you need to just drop numbers in to get the points. Just pm me.

I also have a rather old restaurant cheat sheet in word. Not sure how accurate it is now but it has some of my favorite restaurants, menu items, and point values that I use to carry in my purse. I should work on updating it.

jenvance
07-23-2008, 07:08 PM
No but after I have the baby I may try. I haven't really gained a lot of weight with this pregnancy so I already have a head start, I would like to get back to my high school weight. Not just to look better, but to feel better too. I have to start eating healthier.

pbhall13
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh Deb..........I am sending out my well wishes to you.........sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.........will you be able to go back to work soon? I hope so.

As for WW. I have 'all the stuff' your friend has and I would say yes it would still apply. they may have tweeked a few things, but mainly the food that they sell (and the point are already allocated on package) I would read over all the material and decide if you want to do the points or the flex plan and then go from there.

I hope you feel well soon friend.

Take care. Pamela

SunshineGirl
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
I started in 1998 and the only major change in the POINTS plan is that they top out fiber now. Back then you could add Fiber One to any food at all to bring the points down. Now they top the fiber at I think 4gm per serving. So there isn't any benefit from a points stand-point to adding tons of fiber to a fiber-less food.

You can definitely get by with what your friend has and what you find online. Use Dottie for restaurants and brand name foods (http://www.dwlz.com/). Also Hungry Girl will help you with recipe ideas and she has a lot of point values there (http://www.hungry-girl.com). The points are a lot easier to me than calories and they help me think about the true health value of foods compared to each other. I'm not a food expert, but I do know a lot more than the average person because of my time on Weight Watchers.

The big thing is figuring out how many points a day you should be eating. Once you figure that out, you can limp along for awhile to kick start yourself.

Good luck with it!! I absolutely believe that it works for a lot of people and is the type of diet that is sustainable for life. By keeping my finger on weight watchers (but not always following so well), I have gone from having my weight swing back and forth by 20 pounds at a time to 5 pounds over a year. So it isn't just about the losing, it is about the maintaining, too.

askomsky
07-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree 100% with Tricia. I joined in 2000 and became a Lifetimer at the end of that year. I lost 75#'s with it. It's a LIFESTYLE change not a diet.
When I joined like Tricia said you could count fiber well past 4, to me that's the only big difference and some foods points have changed. (Salsa used to be free now 1 pt, baked potato was 2 now 3 etc)

Catherine is also right the points are very easy to follow the biggest changes the last few years have been how they allocate them or how you should use them really.

Old habits die hard there are some foods that I still eat/use or ways I cook that I started with WW and never changed. I.e Spray butter is free unless 30 squirts, works great with FF popcorn. LF mayo, certain cooking substitutions etc.

My biggest problem IS counting every LICK, TASTE, or BITE that goes into my mouth. I exercise, drink my water, eat my veggies./fruits.... I've PROVEN to myself time and time again the last 8 yrs that I LOSE weight and maintain it when I count my points and gain it back when I don't!!

My OB/GYN though WW was one of the best programs out there and encourage me during my second two pg's to stay on it (WW wouldn't let me weigh in while I was pg though) My primary doctor also thinks it's a great program. I love that I have the freedom to eat what I want when I want (as long as I'm FOLLOWING the program! LOL)

Dotties website (The link Tricia gave you) is AWESOME for finding points on most restaurants and fast food items. Great in a pinch!!!!! I used to live on that site.

Good Luck Deb, you can do it!

DisneyMa
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
If you are worried about using dated material (I think it should be the same) you could sign up for the first meeting. I think the cost is around $15, you go to a meeting and get the first book, pointer and attend a small meeting at the end of the group meeting (explaining the system). Really, if you have dwlz.com, a pointer and the first book, you can do it on your own.

I worked there many moons ago. I need to get my butt back in gear. I'm just not following the plan and my pants are getting tight!:eek:

andrea2289
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
So it isn't just about the losing, it is about the maintaining, too.

Ditto!

I have never done WW but I lost over 70 pounds about 15 years ago and did it counting calories and making healthier choices.

Some of my tips: Cook as much as you can. If you cook your own food, you know exactly what?s going into it. Eat out as little as possible, make that a reward. Stay away from boxed and convenience foods. I have a huge appetite, so I try to find foods that I can eat a lot with the fewest calories. I love vegetable soups (no carbs no meat just lots of veggies, garlic, and onions) very low in calories and very cleansing to your body. Keep things made up to grab when you hungry. I keep a big bowl of celery, cauliflower and cucumbers cut up for when I want to snack (I use South Beach Diet Ranch to dip because it is the only light Ranch I like). I second butter spray. I use it on veggies, toast, air popped popcorn. I have not bought margarine or butter in years, honestly, I just have adapted to not using it. I love to cook, which I think helps, because it is a challenge for me to make something really yummy that is also light and healthy. And reward yourself! Give yourself realistic goals and reward yourself for getting there. But my one tip for keeping the off weight is: Once you are at your goal weight, never again let 5 pounds turn into 10. If I gain 5 pounds, I get myself right back on track and lose it before it's 10.

I love reading other people?s tips and ideas! WW has worked for many people! Just find what works for you and you?ll do great! :clap:

SunshineGirl
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Eating out is HUGE. It is the biggest thing that sabotages my weight loss and maintenance. I love to eat out!! But there are really not enough healthy choices out there to eat out regularly. Unless you are already at your goal weight and exercising regularly. If you are trying to lose weight and eat out, you are going to have to eat the same things over and over. When you cook for yourself, there is a MUCH bigger world of possibilities. And you get more bang for your buck. Sure, you can get a small hamburger and fries at McDonalds for like 12 points. But you will be really hungry. For those same points at home I can have a barbecued chicken breast, vegetables, a fruit salad, a baked potato with low fat sour cream, and frozen yogurt for dessert!

askomsky
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Eating out is HUGE. It is the biggest thing that sabotages my weight loss and maintenance. I love to eat out!! But there are really not enough healthy choices out there to eat out regularly. Unless you are already at your goal weight and exercising regularly. If you are trying to lose weight and eat out, you are going to have to eat the same things over and over. When you cook for yourself, there is a MUCH bigger world of possibilities. And you get more bang for your buck. Sure, you can get a small hamburger and fries at McDonalds for like 12 points. But you will be really hungry. For those same points at home I can have a barbecued chicken breast, vegetables, a fruit salad, a baked potato with low fat sour cream, and frozen yogurt for dessert!

Here! here! Applebees is about the only place I feel comfortable eating out bc they have the points right on the menu! lol

Pooh's Pal
07-23-2008, 10:09 PM

And I work in a restaurant....kind of 1 step up from Mickey D's, surrounded by ice cream too...Oh My!
But my mind is made up, I HAVE to do this.

SunshineGirl
07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
And I work in a restaurant....kind of 1 step up from Mickey D's, surrounded by ice cream too...Oh My!
But my mind is made up, I HAVE to do this.

You need to find out what the exact point values of every single thing on the menu are. That way, you know what you can have regularly and what you can have in a moment of weakness. It's all about educating yourself to make good decisions.

Is it a chain that has nutritional information somewhere that we can help you with?

askomsky
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
You need to find out what the exact point values of every single thing on the menu are. That way, you know what you can have regularly and what you can have in a moment of weakness. It's all about educating yourself to make good decisions.

Is it a chain that has nutritional information somewhere that we can help you with?

If I remember correctly where she works then I think it's on Dottie's website.
I agree and I try to stay away from that place bc the food taste's yummy but blows my points right out of the water!

Some helpful things I just found
I love bagels and cream cheese, WW now makes their own bagels are 2 and cc is 1.
They also came out with their own cookies which are pretty good but I'll take a vitalicious muffin top over their cakes! :)

FF popcorn and watermelon are two great things to help you fill up.
Drink an 8 oz glass of water if you feel hungry and want to snack. Wait 15 mins if your still hungry find a healthy snack. 9 times out of 10 the water will fill you up and you won't "need" the snack.

m 'n c
07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Oh I have the new system too if you want info from it. I went last fall for a few months and have most of the materials.

SunshineGirl
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
When I am out and must eat "fast food," I go with Subway. I know that I can get the 6 inch turkey without cheese loaded with veggies and a side of low fat chips and be okay. It's one of the only places that I can grab a quick meal that is low in points and feel full when I am done. SG does the veggie ones so that he can have a footlong.

Progresso soups...look for the ones that are marked for Weight Watchers. 0 points for half the can! Also the Weight Watchers yogurts are marked as 1 point each. And the string cheese.

Pooh's Pal
07-23-2008, 10:44 PM

Just checked and the nutritional info is not on their website....figures! But we do have it in a binder at the cashier desk, available upon request for customers, and us girls. I also put an another copy of it in my office, I have to stop by there tomorrow after my doc's appointment, I think I'll grab it and bring it home, so I can look it over before I go back to work.

Yes, it's a very "Friendly" New England chain restaurant, and Pam (or anyone who's been there with their kiddo's) will tell you..food is yummy, but oh soooo bad for you.

Thank goodness I love salad, chicken and have the freshest fish right at my door here on Cape Cod, like tonight I had a fresh piece of Cod, poached in the microwave, and fresh green beans. And those Rotisserie chickens in the grocery stores I love (minus the skin). Working in the restaurant biz all my life (only at present job for 5 years) I'm not the greatest cook, sad to say.

I told my doctor the hardest part is the long shifts I work..like 6am to 6pm or noon till midnight, tired and hungry is not a good combination!

:thanks: again for all the encouragement and advice! ;)

andrea2289
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I second Subway and Progresso Light Soups...love them! In the evenings when I am having a craving I will have a cup of hot tea sweetened with one teaspoon of sugar (has less that 20 calories). There is an endless variety of hot tea. Usually by the time I am done, my craving has passed. Currently I am on a blueberry tea kick :)

We also love to eat out, and when I eat out, I do not want to watch what I eat LOL - If I know we are going out, I will really watch what I eat throughout the day and just get right back on track. My daughter and I have really gotten into sharing meals. By the time we have salad and bread, we can't eat as much as they give you. It saves money and keeps you from overeating. ;)

Could you bring a lunch/snacks to work with you? Maybe it might help when you want to reach for something else?

Pooh's Pal
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Oh yes, I plan on bringing my fruits and veggies with me....

SunshineGirl
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I keep high fiber chocolate on hand now. Specifically, the Glenny's brownies and Vitalicious muffin tops. Because of the fiber in them, they fill me up and I get my chocolate fix at the same time.

DisneyMa
07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Take your WW pointer to the grocery store. I have found that there are items out there that are the same points or +1 point higher than the lowfat/WW/diet foods. Usually when you purchase those specific foods there is less in the package and it costs more!

A great example is instant oatmeal. I was buying the less sugar (2points) I picked up the weight loss instant oatmeal (3points) So it had more points, cost more money and had less packages in the box.

I always carry a WW pointer now!!

m 'n c
07-24-2008, 12:38 AM
One of my new favorite snacks which would be easy for you is 1 wedge of laughing cow lite cheese (garlic and herb flavor) and an apple. Talk about tasty and just 2 points!

One of the things that helps me when I am being good OP (on program) is to write the point values on the packages as I unload them from the grocery bag. It may help you. I have also started using my food scale more and not relying on the "serving" size on the package. I found thanks to Hungry Girl that not all 1 cup portions of cereal are the same. Measuring via weight not cup size can really make a difference in how much you eat.