PDA

View Full Version : M'nC's food journal

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I've seen this on dwlz before but I just can't keep up with more than 2 message boards at any one time so I'm starting this over here. So many people have success reading their own and other's food journals that I thought it might be a good idea to type mine out each day in this thread. If you want to comment feel free to do so here or even start your own thread. You DO NOT have to be on WW to participate in this section or in the food journals. Everyone is :welcome:

July 28, 2008

I started using a food scale at home to measure my portions. Last week or the one before HungryGirl was talking about how not all cups are equal so you should try weighing on a food scale if you want to be accurate

Breakfast:
1 serving (53 gms) Kashi Go Lean Crunch 2 pts
1 serving (5 oz) strawberries .5 pts
1/2 cup skim milk 1 pt
Total 3.5pts

Lunch:
Ham & Cheese sandwich on the light
sourdough bread with light mustard 3pts
1 cup grapes 1pt
WW key lime yogurt 1 pt
Total 8.5 pts

Snack:
1 cup cherries 1pt
Pria bar 2 pts
piece of candyish stuff 2pts (estimating as I have no idea. It was about 2 bites)
Total 13.5 pts

Dinner
1 slice bread .5 pts
1/8 cup shredded cheese 1 pt
1 serving sloppy joe (est 5 servings in recipe) 3 pts
1/2 cup peas 0 pts
Total 18

Nighttime snack:
1 cup skim milk 2 pts
Daily TOTAL 20 pts

hmm not quite my 22 points but close enough I guess.

:sunshine:

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea..... I should probably do the same thing to count my carbs. And man your Kashi sounds good right now. That is always my fav. cereal, but no cereal for me for a little while :cry:.

I am doing good so far today, I have ate breakfast and lunch and have only had 3 carbs, I can still have 17 more later today !

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Definitely start a journal Miranda as I think it will help all of us. :)

I love Kashi GLC but Kroger has it up to $4.79 a box. I found it on drugstore.com the other day for $3 a box and bought 3 and then HEB had it for $3 a box so I bought 2 more. I hope that lasts through another sale because I can't spend $5 a box on it.

Sunni
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Great idea Cat!

I have to get back to that...writing what I eat down. It is so easy to forget the little things that I just grab. Or I find it helps to remind me what I need...like more water/fruit. I love when I can look at the list and it smiles back at me when I am doing well. :rolleyes:

ok....well maybe it doesn't smile but I do. :rotfl:

Keep the good work up Cat!

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM

I love Kashi GLC but Kroger has it up to $4.79 a box. I found it on drugstore.com the other day for $3 a box and bought 3 and then HEB had it for $3 a box so I bought 2 more. I hope that lasts through another sale because I can't spend $5 a box on it.

I stocked up with Drugstore.com had that sale a few weeks ago too ! Good thing DH likes Kashi since I can't eat it right now.

askomsky
07-28-2008, 02:14 PM

We have so many grocery stores and health food stores the price has really come down for us. I usually get mine at Trader Joe's.

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh how I wish we had a Trader Joes. I have checked all around and most are $3.50 and up. Walmart is over $3.50 :( drugstore has it back on sale so I'll be buying another 4 boxes to keep in the pantry.

andrea2289
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
There are a lot of coupons for Kashi cereal on Ebay right now ;)

Alot are for the Vive but there are also a lot for 'any' Kashi cereal. This is also my favorite cereal and I also love their crackers. I buy a lot of these types of coupons on Ebay.

Also, totally off subject, but I just stocked up on Powerade Zero coupons off of Ebay. The coupons are for $1 off of one 32 ounce bottle. At my grocery store they always go on sale 10 for $10 so I just got 20 bottles....for $4.49 (what the coupons cost me) LOL :clap:

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
How is powerade zero? Is it really sweet/watered down like the flavored Dasini's?

andrea2289
07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
To be honest, the Powerade Lemon is my favorite. I don't LOVE the flavor choices of the Powerade Zero, but I don't find it too sweet. It comes in strawberry, mixed berry and grape. If I was paying full price, I'd buy the regular lemon flavor, but since I am getting such a good deal on this right now, it's what I am drinking LOL

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Off to another good start I think. I hope to get back to the gym tonight but that all depends on how efficiently I and my coworkers work today. I really don't want to be there past 8.

Breakfast
1 serving of Kashi Go Lean Crunch 2 pts
5oz strawberries .5 pts
1/2 cup skim milk 1 pt
Total 3.5 pts

Lunch
It was a Jason's Deli day
1 Turkey Reuben (with sauerkraut yumm-o!) 9 pts
1-2 cups fruit (guestimating here) 2 pts
Total 11 pts

Snack
1 cup cherries 1 pt

Total 1 pt

Dinner
Since lunch is eating out I'm swapping and having my normal lunch for dinner.
ham & cheese, w/mustard sandwich 3 pts
1 cup grapes 1 pt
1 WW strawberry yogurt 1 pt
Total 5 pts

Grand Total 20.5 pts so far

disney_girl
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
You are doing great Catherine!! I really need to get on a better eating "plan".... I'll have to work on that!

andrea2289
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Snack
1 cup cherries 1 pt

Cherries sound so good! Your plan for the day looks great Catherine...and very healthy!!

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Cherries sound so good! Your plan for the day looks great Catherine...and very healthy!!

I love cherries too. I wish they were a bit cheaper as I would eat them more often. I just hope this can carry me into the weekend and I stay on track. Weekends are always the worst.

disney_girl
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, you are making me want cherries too...love them, but they can be so darn expensive! I did have to run to Walmart for some stuff for this cake and grabbed a box of the Kashi Go Lean Crunch. It was $3.12, but it was the last box there! I'll try it out in the morning and see how I like it!

You are doing well so far this week!

m 'n c
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Here we go again. :clap:

Breakfast:
I should just call it the usual but then that wouldn't allow me to see what I was eating and thus defeat the purpose.
50gms Kashi Go Lean Crunch 2 pts
4 oz Strawberries .5 pts
1/2 cup skim milk 1 pt
Total 3.5 pts

Lunch:
Total guestimate going on here. My team picked a sandwich shop ( :rolleyes: ) so I gotta figure out the points on a small Zero sub (ham, salami, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, mustard, on fresh homemade bread)

Sandwich 12 pts (really no idea. various places on DWLZ claim 10-15 pts)?????
Baked Lays 2.5 pts
Total 14.5 pts

Snack:
1 cup cherries 1pt
1 mini 3 musketeer 1 pt

Dinner:
ham and cheese sandwich with mustard 3 pts
1 cup grapes 1 pt
1 WW yogurt 1 pt
Total 5pts

Its looking like 25 points today. My daily allowance is 22 points but I did eat under my points the past 2 days so I guess it evens out. I do plan on running or doing some cardio tonight so that should lower my overage by a point or two.

andrea2289
07-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Its looking like 25 points today. My daily allowance is 22 points but I did eat under my points the past 2 days so I guess it evens out. I do plan on running or doing some cardio tonight so that should lower my overage by a point or two.

Still a good day overall though! And the cardio will help.
I plan on walking a little longer/harder tonight also after my Taco Bell Lunch lol :p

m 'n c
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks Andrea. I can always hope my sandwich wasn't all that bad but it tasted so good so I better quit fooling myself. It was worth the points though. Next time I'm skipping the chips. I hate plain chips but since I sent one of my staff out I can't really complain about it.

I am trying a trick I pulled out of Shape magazine. I have that 3 musketeer wrapper sitting next to my computer on my desk so that I can stare at it each time I take a sip of water. Every time I see it I am going why did I eat that and "no more" today. It really is working.

andrea2289
07-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I am trying a trick I pulled out of Shape magazine. I have that 3 musketeer wrapper sitting next to my computer on my desk so that I can stare at it each time I take a sip of water. Every time I see it I am going why did I eat that and "no more" today. It really is working.

LOL Hmmm I need to do that with my nuts sitting on my desk! I know they are healhty for you but not when you eat half the jar. I am not a big sweet eater but I am a carb/salty addict. I can put a serious hurtin on a bag of chips or a jar of nuts LOL Honestly, I can't keep my favorite chips in the house (DORITOS Natural White Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips). If I do buy them, I just accept the fact I am having an 'I don't care day' and just let myself eat as much as I want! :rolleyes:

m 'n c
07-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Well I was bad. I just couldn't muster up enough energy to go to the gym when I finally got home. I will have to do better tomorrow. Good news is that I haven't put anything else in my stomach that is not on that list.

m 'n c
07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh today is going to be difficult. I walked into work and my staff had a starbucks order going already. Can't say I wasn't thinking along those lines myself but it makes lunch difficult.

Breakfast
50 gms Kashi GLC 2pts
1/2 cup blueberries .5 pts
1/2 cup skim milk 1pt

Snack:
1 tall Mocha Frapp lite no whip 2pts
1 large bottle of water 0 pts

Lunch:
Classic Caesar Salad:
Crisp romaine lettuce tossed with shaved Grana parmesan, house-made croutons and classic grilled chicken. Served with bread, butter and a cookie.

Modified the above by: Gave away the cookie and the bread/butter. Limited the cheese and used spray caesar dressing brought from home. Not sure it did much but I feel better about it.

Snack:
banana 2pts
cherries 1pt

Dinner:
ham and cheese sandwich 3pts
WW yogurt 1pt
1 cup grapes 1pt

I am at 13.5 points before lunch gets added in. Not terrible I guess. I need to find a salad to eat that won't kill me.

disney_girl
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
You are doing good so far!! The eating out can be tough on any diet- but you are making decent choices! I'm going to have to jump back on the bandwagon after Saturday. This just hasn't been a good week for exercising/ eating right with everything going on.

I know it has only been a few days, but do you think the food journal is helping you stay more accountable with your eating? I think you are going to make me break down and get cherries lol!

m 'n c
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
You are doing good so far!! The eating out can be tough on any diet- but you are making decent choices! I'm going to have to jump back on the bandwagon after Saturday. This just hasn't been a good week for exercising/ eating right with everything going on.

I know it has only been a few days, but do you think the food journal is helping you stay more accountable with your eating? I think you are going to make me break down and get cherries lol!

Seeing my food diary in writing definitely is helping as well as putting it out there to you guys. When I just write it down at home where no one else sees it I am more likely to cheat and think no big deal. Now that i have started this thread and see yall reading my posts I feel very guilty if I don't stick with my diet and points each day.

I think today is the last day of cherries. The bananas Mike bought last week were very green and are just now ripening up so he's been eating my cherries all week and we just ran out today. I love cherries but they are so darn expensive. He was complaining that he spent $9 on cherries but when I asked if he weighted his purchase (2pounds at $3.99/lb) before buying them he said no. :rolleyes: At least we ate every single one of them and none went bad but they obviously won't be an every week item.

m 'n c
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Ugh! My little staff just picked his favorite restaurant to eat at for lunch. I love the place but oh the points I can only imagine. Oh goodness.

disney_girl
07-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Yikes! Good luck!

m 'n c
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok I'm going with the chicken ceaser and asking for no dressing, easy on the cheese garnishment, and grilled chicken not grilled in butter if possible. A tad picky but I don't know what else to do. lol

andrea2289
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Good choice Catherine! All you can do is the best you can do! You have more willpower than me. I find it almost impossible to eat well or 'light' when we go out. I think it is because I love eating out so I always want something yummy LOL

disney_girl
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, sounds like that's a decent choice considering. I'm with Andrea- hard to eat well out lol. I won't even tell you what we had last night at the Italian place UGH.... and worse...it was at least 9 before we got our food!

andrea2289
07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I won't even tell you what we had last night at the Italian place UGH.... and worse...it was at least 9 before we got our food!

This made me laugh out loud because we are going shopping at Opry Mills in Nashville this Saturday and we are eating at Romano's Macaroni Grill...brother :rotfl:

m 'n c
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. It wasn't much of the advertised salad by the time I got done with it but it still did the trick. The positive reinforcement from you guys in this thread really helps.

Now onto those Italian meals -> I am super jealous. I could go for some chicken parmagean right now.

m 'n c
08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Morning guys! I need to tally up my points for breakfast but it should be around 5 I think.

Breakfast:
50 grms Kashi Go Lean Crunch 3 pts
4 oz blueberries (they were about to go bad) 1 pt
1/2 cup skim milk 1 pt

Snack:
1 cup grapes 1 pt

Lunch:
1 ham and cheese sandwich on Nature's Own Honey Wheat light bread -> 3 pts
1 WW yogurt in Amaretto Cheesecake 1 pt

Snack:
1 cup carrots 0 pts

Snack
starbucks mocha frapp light with raspberry 3 pts

Dinner:
Junk salad - romaine lettuce, 1/3 cup peas, 1/3 cup corn, 1/3 cup black beans, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 2 tbsp salsa, spray ranch dressing, 1 cup grilled chicken, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup cucumber
1 bud light

Snack after workout:
1 cup skim milk
1 bagel with cream cheese (I needed the carbs)

If I can ever get this salad to digest I will go run on the treadmill for a few miles.

m 'n c
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Morning everyone!

Breakfast:
50 grams Kashi GLC 3 pts
1/2 cup skim milk 1 pt
2 oz raspberries 0 pts
2 oz blueberries .5 pts

Lunch:
ham and cheese sandwich on lite bread with mustard 3 pts
1 cup green grapes 1 pt
1 WW mixed berries yogurt 1 pt

Snack:
1 cup carrots 0 pts

Dinner:
defrosted chicken & dumplings from crockpot 6pts ???

schaery
08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey you're doing pretty good with the food journal! Have you ever tried the Stoneybrook Farms Organic Yogurt? I buy the plain flavor and top it with fruit, Kashi (or Cascadian Farms) granola, and honey. Good for breakfast with wheat toast. Do you have a Super Target there? They have their own brand of natural peanut butter that's good, (on wheat toast) and less expensive than other brands. Yeah, I know that adds the points, but just a little smear on the toast.

disney_girl
08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey Catherine..how's the food journal going??:)

m 'n c
10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Carla - It wasn't going there for a while and not I'm at 160 :cry: I think I learned my lesson.

Breakfast
50 grms of Kashi GLC (3pts)
4 oz strawberries (0.5 pts)
1/2 cup milk (1 pt)

Lunch
Sandwich - white wheat (2pts), cheese (1pt), ham (1pt)
1 cup grapes (1 or 2 pts)
1 banana (2pts)
1 WW yogurt - key lime pie flavor (1 pt)

Snack
1/2 cup carrots (0pts) - strike that. I forgot them at home. :(

Dinner
?????

disney_girl
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Well...no time like today to jump start and get back on track! You have your trip behind you and you can work on getting back to where you want to be!! :sunshine:

I am soooo slacking in the exercise area and need to get back on track NOW!

m 'n c
10-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Well I'll get an Oct challenge going and we can start together.

m 'n c
10-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Great news! I'm down 2 pounds so I am back in the 150s.

Breakfast:
50 gms Kashi GLC
4 oz diced strawberries
1/2 cup skim milk

Lunch:
We have a big meeting today starting at 1 so we are ordering in. I'm going to order a large ceaser salad (no dressing) and a cup or bowl of minestrone soup.

Dinner
Spaghetti with meat sauce and corn

Sunni
10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Great news Cate! Keep the good work up.

I can't wait to join you all. They don't want me losing any weight right now...ugg! I still want to lose about 10-20 lbs. LOL

m 'n c
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Man some days I am good about posting and others I totally forget.

I'll try again today:

Breakfast - trying to change things up a bit but I think I ended up with more points than intending

1/2 cup egg beaters (just the whites)
1/2 slice Fat Free cheese
1 cup skim milk
1 piece of toast (white wheat)

Snack:
Transferring the banana from breakfast to a mid-morning snack.

Lunch:
Ham and cheese sandwhich
yogurt
baby carrots

Dinner:
left over spaghetti and meat sauce
1/2 cup corn

m 'n c
10-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Man some days I am good about posting and others I totally forget.

I'll try again today:

Breakfast - trying to change things up a bit but I think I ended up with more points than intending

1/2 cup egg beaters (just the whites)
1/2 slice Fat Free cheese
1 cup skim milk
1 piece of toast (white wheat)

Snack:
Transferring the banana from breakfast to a mid-morning snack.

Lunch:
Ham and cheese sandwhich
yogurt
baby carrots

Dinner:
left over spaghetti and meat sauce
1/2 cup corn

m 'n c
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Well I started journaling again this week. I have done so-so but it's all trial and error right?

I'm going to share the first half of this week's journal and then update Sunday for the last half of the week. If you want any recipes or have any questions just let me know.

Monday 1/19 First Day Back Journaling
Breakfast:
1 cup kashi go lean crunch, 1/2 cup diced strawberries, 1/2 cup skim milk
Total: 4 points

Lunch:
1 cup homemade chili, 1 cornbread vitamuffin top, 1 cup green grapes, 1 WW yogurt
Total: 8 points

Snacks:
1 banana, 1 cherry coke zero, 1/2 cup of mixed pickles
Total: 2 points

Dinner:
1 cup Tuna helper helped, small dinner salad

Water Servings: 8 glasses of water
Milk Servings: 2 servings
Fruits/Veggie Servings: 5
Vitamin: Check!
Exercise: 45 minutes on the Wii playing Wii Sports
Total points for the day: 22!!

Tuesday 1/20
Breakfast:
Weight Control Banana Bread Oatmeal, 1 banana, 1 cup skim milk
Total: 6 points

Lunch:
This was the downfall. We went to a mexican restaurant and I couldn't resist the chips and queso.
1 Chicken Fajita Salad with grilled chicken and salsa for dressing, Chips, Salsa, and Queso
Total: no earthly idea but it is bad

Dinner:
1 cup Tuna Helper Helped, small dinner salad

Snacks:
1 cup skim milk, 1 WW cookie, Random bite size candy
Total 5 points
Water Servings: 8 glasses
Milk Servings: 3 servings
Fruits/Veggie Servings: 5 servings
Exercise: 30 minutes on the Wii Fit
Vitamin: Check