PDA

View Full Version : Miranda's Food Journal

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Okay at Cate's great suggestion, I am going to start one too. I am not doing weight watchers, but I am starting Atkins again.... it worked for me before and I lost 35 lbs (which was all I needed to loose) and kept it off until I got pregnant with dd. So here is day 1:

Monday July 28th, 2008 - Carbs allowed 20

Breakfast
Slim Fast Low Carb Chocolate Shake - 2 Carbs

Lunch
Steak Strips (the kind you put on Salad, but I ate them on their own) 0 Carbs
2 ounces of Colby Jack Cheese - 1 Carb
1 Sugar Free Chocolate Turtle - Less then 1 Carb

Afternoon Snack
1 Atkins Day Break Chocolate Peanut butter crunch Bar - 2 carbs

Dinner
I wanted breakfast food for dinner so I had
2 Eggs- 1 carb
1/4 cup cheese - 1 carb
2 oz sausage - .5 carbs

Evening Snack
Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Bar - 3 carbs

Total for the day: Only 11.5 carbs, plently under my 20 limit !

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I've been eating those steak strips too lately and have really enjoyed them. They are a great way to spruce up a salad.

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
how bad is one piece of lettuce? I know you said a cup was kinda carby. Maybe you could do a lettuce wrap with the steak and cheese using 1 piece of lettuce.

Sunni
07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Great start Miranda! Keep the good work up!

Steak strips are delicious. I like using different seasonings on them. I love it with salad.

Iteach
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
What brand are those steak strips? Are they frozen? They sound really good to use in a salad, an alternative to chicken. I have not seen them at the grocery store. Thanks

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
how bad is one piece of lettuce? I know you said a cup was kinda carby. Maybe you could do a lettuce wrap with the steak and cheese using 1 piece of lettuce.

You just read my mind.... I looked that up earlier today and I can do that.... It looks like I can do that for like 1-2 carbs. I know last time I did low carb I had a burger but with lettuce on the outside instead of a bun in the second phase. I think that I may make the wrap you just described for lunch tomorrow.

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
What brand are those steak strips? Are they frozen? They sound really good to use in a salad, an alternative to chicken. I have not seen them at the grocery store. Thanks

They are Tyson.... they are right beside the chicken strips in the refridgerated section in my store.

m 'n c
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Yup that is where I have found them too. I got the store brand last time because they were a tad cheaper. My kroger has chicken strips too and I think turkey.

Iteach
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks so much! I'll look for those.

askomsky
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
How do they taste though really? I'm not a big steak person but I think I would like a change every once in a while.

andrea2289
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
We actually eat a lot of homeade steak tips and this is my go-to marinade. It is quick and easy and sooo yummy. You could certainly adapt it any way you'd like and it works with with round steak which is very lean.

Equal parts lite soy sauce (I use the Kikoman with the green label) and light Italian dressing and a splash of white vinegar. Thats it! I prefer the light dressing because it is not so oily.

I cut mine up into bite size pieces and marinade it for a few hours. The vinegar tenderizes the meat and helps the other flavors soak in. Sometimes I kabob them with veggies and do it on the grill and sometimes I just saute it over a high heat because they cook quick!

mirandag819
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
How do they taste though really? I'm not a big steak person but I think I would like a change every once in a while.

I thought they were yummy.... they were seasoned a little, I just heated them up in the microwave and ate them on their own. They would definatly be good in a salad or wrap, and they would probably be good cold even.

mirandag819
07-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Tuesday July 29th, 2008 - Carbs allowed 20

Breakfast
3 Sausage Links - 1 carb
Hard boiled egg - .5 carbs

Lunch
1 Slim Fast Carb Control Shake - 2 carbs
Steak Strips again (forgot lettuce) - 0 carbs
Cheese - 1 carb

Afternoon Snack
Atkins Advantage Bar- Caramel Fudge Brownie - 2 carbs

Dinner
I made Filet Oscar but could only have the filet (dh and dd has filet oscar - YUM) - 0 carbs
1/2 cup brocoli - 1 carb
1/2 cup cauliflower - 1.5 carbs

andrea2289
07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
What kind of sausage liniks do you buy? I was going to have sausage with my eggs this morning but all I had were some my DH bought when he was home and they were horrible for you lol (but I am counting calories)

mirandag819
07-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Jimmy Dean lean sausage links. I will have to look when I get home and see what the calorie content was... I didn't pay much attention to that since I only have to look at carbs.

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Interesting re: sausage links. I'll have to look for them. I tried soy ones once and just about died. I finished the box but I was not happy about it.