PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's Wedding

AdLibCorner
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Does anyone have any wedding ideas that would be good to use in my daughter's wedding in her church. She wants it very formal. We are looking for ideas for the guest book table for starters. Also something nice but with a different twist for the unity candles would be great too.

I've purchased her dress. It came with a matching wrap that she doesn't want to use so I am repurposing the fabric from that for her ring pillows, pew markers and covering her guest book.

Bridesmaids gift ideas would help too. We have the usual stuff on our list.

Lucinda
05-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Mom of the Bride. My daughter got married last sept. I loved planning a wedding so much fun and excitement. We used a teaching stand for the guestbook and pen ( kind like a Sunday School teacher would stand behind and teach. Then put bows around it. looked great.HOpe this helps a little. If ya have any more questions just let me know.

Lucinda
05-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh forgot something . My daughter gave her girls earrings and necklace to wear for the bridesmaids gift. They wore for the wedding looked very nice.

SunshineGirl
05-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Two of my favorite things from my wedding were the bridesmaid gifts and the unity candles.

Our unity candle itself was pretty normal. But my mom and Kevin's mom each went up and lit "memory candles" for family members that had passed away. Then they each lit a candle for us that we used to light our unity candle.

For the bridesmaids, I think I bought them jewelry or something fancy like that. I don't remember. What I DO remember was the personal part. I burned a CD for each of them with songs that were special to us and made a CD cover with a picture of me and each girl. They were cheap to make but really special because each girl's was different.

Does she want to use a traditional guest book? I have seen really cool weddings where they used a piece of pottery (like a serving plate) that was later glazed and mounted.

AdLibCorner
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Some great ideas ladies...
The guest book she decided on is the size of an autograph book. We are looking for something with the acid free paper. She wants me to cover it so match her dress and use the same sequin/bead pattern.

Unity Candle -- We are going to embellish one again to match her sequin/bead pattern on everything else.

Bridesmaid gifts - so far we have decided on a large tote bag with their initials on them. I'm going to get large bath sheets and make wraps with a Velcro closure and again apply their initials. I'm also putting in some flip flops with the fuzzy yarn crocheted around the straps. All this color coordinated of course. We plan on putting in the jewelry they'll wear, nail polish so all the girls match, a manicure set and a small bottle of the same cologne so that they all have the same scent.

I loved the CD idea for her attendants. We are already doing that for the bride and groom as favors. It will have their pics throughout life, their favorite music and whatever else we can come up with. My hubby is doing that and as you said, putting in the cover, a liner and making CD labels.

I found this wonderful site with a great idea for pew markers. They are basically Styrofoam cones wrapped in fabric (again I'll use the fabric from the wrap she isn't using). Then you lace ribbon around the cones to look like a crisscross pattern. Where the ribbon crosses, you twist it. Then there will be a floral arrangement flowing from the top similar to a bride's bouquet only smaller. There are hooks that allow you to hang them over the ends of the pews.

I got her dress on eBay. It was a gift from heaven. It was the dress she picked out, the correct size, brand new with tags, the color she wanted (ivory), and it was in perfect new condition. Not one tiny flaw or speck of dirt anywhere on it. Original price? $685. Price I paid? $76!!!!!!!!! I thought I robbed the bank!

I'm having a blast with her making all the plans. :love: :love: :love: I'm spending a week with her later on this month to get more things finalized. She lives about 12 hours away so we work hard at a lot of things on the phone and via email. The wedding will be in about 13 months.

Lucinda
05-05-2007, 05:00 PM
well,it sounds like your on top of things. I think your daughter will have a beautiful wedding. Have fun and enjoy it.

RayaniFoxmur
05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
It does sound like you're on top of things. I'm super stressed out because I'm planning my own wedding right now!

If you want a good timeline, there is an excellent checklist located on www.theknot.com so yuou can see about where you need to be in planning.

Good luck! :)

AdLibCorner
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the tip about TheKnot. I know she has an account there. I'll have her pull it up and compare it to where we *think* we are!

LOVE your banner! REALLY SUPER CUTE!

sselig2000
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
My "baby" is getting married in two days. I am excited for her, but sad for me. Does anyone understand that?

SunshineGirl
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
My "baby" is getting married in two days. I am excited for her, but sad for me. Does anyone understand that?

When I got married, I would not have understood that. Now that I have two daughters, I totally understand that!!!

AdLibCorner
06-14-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm already anticipating the need for drugs to get me through it. I'm also already doing self talk to not reflect back over her life during the wedding. Do it now or do it after but no remembering when during the wedding festivities.

I must say that the whole experience of wedding planning is a good one for us so far. We went into it with a positive attitude and the agreement that we would not get upset about any of it but would talk through the concerns and decisions in a rational way and not fly off the handle when things popped up that were problematic. We have joked and laughed and had a good time with it all. While shopping, I told her don't bother ordering me any flowers. She asked why. I told her that I had decided I would be wearing a rather large and colorful parrot on my shoulder instead and that I had found some smaller clip on birds for my shoes. And, to top it off, I had found a delightful LARGE brim hat that had loads of lovely peacock feathers trailing off the back of it. Well, I thought that she would wet her pants right there in the middle of the aisle at Hobby Lobby. It will be a memory we'll share forever and you can't buy those.

Anyway, congratulations on your daughter's wedding and the addition of a new son to your family. I'll share that if I take on the mental attitude of a reporter I tend to remember more and focus less on me. I am sure the day will be lovely and that it will be a great day.

Now, if it is taking place other than at home, go get a small rolling suitcase and load it up with blow dryer, sewing kit, manicure kit, toiletries, Tylenol, a few bottles of water, first-aid kit, some change and dollar bills, a pad of checks, phone book, cell phone charger etc so you have all the small things that can ruin a day if you don't have them. Get a padlock for it and pin the key inside your bra so you don't have to carry a purse. We've already been brainstorming how to stop any problems popping up.

Good luck!
Ginger

mollyeilis
06-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Now, if it is taking place other than at home, go get a small rolling suitcase and load it up with blow dryer, sewing kit, manicure kit, toiletries, Tylenol, a few bottles of water, first-aid kit, some change and dollar bills, a pad of checks, phone book, cell phone charger etc so you have all the small things that can ruin a day if you don't have them. Get a padlock for it and pin the key inside your bra so you don't have to carry a purse. We've already been brainstorming how to stop any problems popping up.

Good luck!
Ginger

Also, safety pins in different sizes (used them as a b'maid to get the hem of the bride's slip up, as she'd accidentally lost weight pre-wedding and the slip was at her hips instead of her waist, then my MOH *could have* used them to re-do my bustle that she'd just stepped on and broken, IF she had brought the box I gave her instead of leaving it at the hotel).

Chalk, to cover up any scuff marks that wind up on the gown.

Tampons and pads in case anyone has an unexpected visitor.

oh I'm sure there's more...

But the biggest thing is to actually have that box or bag there at the wedding and reception, NOT back at the hotel.

As for reminiscing during the wedding, I don't see the problem with that as long as you aren't going to start loudly sobbing or anything. When my brother got married I had a little videoscreen in my head, thinking back. Same for the weddings of some of my friends. And if my mom were alive, I wouldn't have minded even one bit, her thinking back and crying a bit at my wedding. Alas she died 9 months before I even met the man who became my hubby, so that didn't happen, but I don't see much wrong.

Also, as to using drugs to get through...my brother's MIL did that, and has NO MEMORY of her daughter's wedding. Brother and SIL didn't really care about the wedding specifics, but she did, so they handed planning over to her entirely (except for location and a couple little blips here and there), but she has no recollection of it. So I'd really recommend finding other ways to calm yourself down (meditation? acupressure?) so that you have more than just the pictures, in case you have the same reaction that brother's MIL did to whatever it was she took (have a feeling it was valium). AND it didn't keep her from freaking out during the day...brother and his new bride had to go to my parent's suite of rooms during the reception for sanctuary, b/c her mom was being so crazy*. Be careful!

*and her other daughter ended up eloping (had parents and sister over to talk over the "plan" for the wedding, then they all got in a car and headed to the courthouse and so she and her fiance could get hitched that very day) because their mom had been so nutty for my sis-in-law's wedding. zoiks!

SunshineGirl
06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I think sometimes it is hard for brides in particular to think of their wedding not just as "their" day but their parents' day as well. Probably an overinclusion, but I would say especially younger brides. It's unfortunate that it usually takes getting past your own wedding day to all of a sudden look at it from the mother of the bride and mother of the groom's perspectives. It's a big thing. All of your friends and family are there. You're officially sending off your child into someone else's care, even if they have really been out on their own for awhile anyway. It just seems more final.

Gosh, I'm crying just thinking about it. And my girls are only 4 and 6!

plantlady
06-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I think sometimes it is hard for brides in particular to think of their wedding not just as "their" day but their parents' day as well. Probably an overinclusion, but I would say especially younger brides. It's unfortunate that it usually takes getting past your own wedding day to all of a sudden look at it from the mother of the bride and mother of the groom's perspectives. It's a big thing. All of your friends and family are there. You're officially sending off your child into someone else's care, even if they have really been out on their own for awhile anyway. It just seems more final.

Gosh, I'm crying just thinking about it. And my girls are only 4 and 6!

I know I didn't think of as my parents day when I got married. I was very self centered. :(

I was married at the age of 19. I only knew him for 3 months, my parents had only met him once, and we planned our wedding in about 3 days.

But, we've been married for almost 12 years now, have three wonderful sons, my parents now love him to bits, his parents love me.

Looking back though.. oh my, I hope my kids don't do that!

CandiKane
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
AdLibCorner; I just love that mental picture of you with the parrot and feathers!!! Add the patch and maybe a hook on one hand and no one will ever forget the mother of the bride!!!!!!! ROTFL!!!!!!:rotfl:

You've got a lot planned and a lot to do. You know you can always ask a friend to help out (hint-hint).

I also have this mental picture of you grabbing the bride screaming "Noooo! You can't have her!!"

In all seriousness; it's going to be a beautiful wedding. You're going to be fine, I'll think of my son in her place (well not being a bride) and do the crying for you that day.

AdLibCorner
06-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I had some tearful phone conversations with my DD today. Bless her heart, she is just so exhausted mentally, emotionally and physically. We had a long heart to heart and about an hour later she called to tell me that the wedding was on hold indefinitely. She has way too much on her plate with her final year of college and planning the wedding. She's going to both semesters of summer school taking such things as German and Quantam Physics. OH GOD HELP HER! She works and planning a wedding was stressing her to the max.

Additionally, she wasn't too sure that the relationship was going in the direction she had hoped. Given that and all the other, she was about to crack. I told her she had to make some tough decisions and we talked in depth about such things as loving yourself enough to take care of yourself, not giving away who you are to please someone else, boundaries, tough decisions that need to be made whether we want to or not.

So, the wedding is on hold and I told her to only work one day a week next semester to keep her foot in the door. She called a few hours later to say she knew she had made the right decision because the Mac truck parked on her shoulders was rolling off and she already had a huge sense of relief. She went on to say she had mostly decided against a big wedding because she was simply having no fun planning it. She said eloping or flying to Vegas was probably more like what she'd like....more fun, more adventure and a lot less hassel and work.

Thank you Jesus. My report card as a mom came in today loud and clear. She gets *it* and knows she is capable of saying no, hell no, no thank you and not now --more than she believed possible. Maybe her migraine headaches will subside now.

Wellllll....maybe not...LOL She is taking German and all the other stuff. I bet all of her brain cells are about to explode.

My baby girl is no baby any longer. I would have to say she is all grown up and making some mighty big decisions that seem pretty sound. I am so proud of her doing the tough stuff. :heart:

CandiKane
06-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Ginger,

I am so sorry for the turn of events. I am proud of your daughter for listening to her inner voice and having the strength to do what is best for her. You did a great job there Mom.

Candi