PDA

View Full Version : What will airlines charge extra for next?

spring
08-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I just read that JetBlue will now charge a $7 fee for a pillow/blanket packet. It includes a $5 coupon good at Bed Bath & Beyond. Why not just charge $2 and skip the coupon?

Any bets as to what will be the next gimmick to off set the price of jet fuel? Perhaps they'll charge potty fees or a fee to ring the attendant call bell? :rotfl: Any other guesses.

SunshineGirl
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Let's see, for my flights last week they charged me:

$10 to pick a seat in advance....for EVERY connection
$2 for a coke
$5 for a snack box
$25 for a second bag (which I didn't take...thankfully)

What might be left? The right to read the magazine in the seat back pocket?

I'm guessing that they will start charging for carryons at some point, too. They will probably limit us to one because everyone is starting to take two now and bringing bigger ones. So they will probably start charging for that.

sunshinecindy
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I just read that JetBlue will now charge a $7 fee for a pillow/blanket packet. It includes a $5 coupon good at Bed Bath & Beyond. Why not just charge $2 and skip the coupon?

Any bets as to what will be the next gimmick to off set the price of jet fuel? Perhaps they'll charge potty fees or a fee to ring the attendant call bell? :rotfl: Any other guesses.

Crap, I fly that this Saturday. :(

Next up... will be a little quarter slot to put your quarter in for air.

jenvance
08-04-2008, 05:10 PM

:rotfl:LOL I don't fly but I thought that was hilarious!!:rotfl:

chipndale
08-04-2008, 05:12 PM
What about charging you for an actual seat? They could save money if they took out all the seats and everyone could just sit on the floor Indian stye. :rotfl: or pay extra for the seat!

Blessing and Miracle
08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Why would they wanna go and start all of this just when I wanted to start flying more instead of driving! Well, I guess since it's all new to me, it really doesn't matter.:confused:

nolacindy
08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
What about charging you for an actual seat? They could save money if they took out all the seats and everyone could just sit on the floor Indian stye. :rotfl: or pay extra for the seat!

Just think of how many more people they could get on the plane if they took the seats out! Add a couple hammocks above everyone and charge extra for the "sleeping quarters"!

kimntrent
08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Here is my take, It is 300 to fly to Orlando, but wait pay for your ticket but don't come to the airport. We aren't flying anywhere just taking your money. That is what it is getting to. It is almost cheaper to drive cross country right now.

ligrumpygirl
08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I mentioned in another thread I did about JetBlue...

They charged $2/bag for curbside checkin - plus tip of course! It was $10 for me before I even set foot in the airport!

I mentioned a few other things but I can't remember them now...if they come to me (or I find that thread, I will be back!).

Cindy, I love Jetblue...you will love it this week...I promise!!

Chipndale...no Indian style around here...in my daughter's class it was "criss-cross-applesauce" - I guess a little more politically correct!

Hedy
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Honestly, I think this is more fair than, say NW's fuel surcharge-it's passing the cost onto people who use the feature, rather than increasing the price for everybody. JMO.

spring
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the idea of taking the seats out and sitting on the floor is hilarious! They could actually stack people up like cord-wood, probably doubling the amount of people, thus increasing the amount of income for each flight!

Sadly, I agree with Tricia's thoughts about them soon charging for carry-on luggage. I'd rather pay the check-in fee than fight for a space for my luggage. Even before the institution of a per bag charge, I felt there was a problem with carry-ons. They were getting bigger and bigger, and the overhead bins were getting less apt to hold them. I usually got stuck putting it under the seat, changing my tiny bit of legroom to nonexistent.

Hedy is right about the blanket/pillow charge. I rarely get it so it wouldn't make a difference to me. However, the creative ways many of the airlines are using to "pay" for jet fuel is getting to be downright amusing.:sunshine:

chipndale
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Chipndale...no Indian style around here...in my daughter's class it was "criss-cross-applesauce" - I guess a little more politically correct!

I guess our school is not very politically correct because they still use the term Indian style.

Just think of how many more people they could get on the plane if they took the seats out! Add a couple hammocks above everyone and charge extra for the "sleeping quarters"!

Hammocks - thats a good one!

purdyratt
08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Coin slots for bathroom or pay to have an actual seat belt

-r

PSL1013
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I heard that some airline is thinking of eliminating those seat back pockets altogether....this way they won't have to supply magazines that cost them and the added weight of these magazines and it would also eliminate the place that people stick their gum wrappers, used kleenex and other such garbage!! :rotfl:

spring
08-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I heard that some airline is thinking of eliminating those seat back pockets altogether....this way they won't have to supply magazines that cost them and the added weight of these magazines and it would also eliminate the place that people stick their gum wrappers, used kleenex and other such garbage!! :rotfl:

Good one.:rotfl: Thinking on that line, perhaps we will now have to bring cleaning supplies to clean our seat areas or be billed for maintenance. They could charge $1 for each cracker crumb and adjust the fees on up.:rotfl:

MamaO
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Everyone around me at work this morning was wondering what I was laughing out loud about - this just cracked me up!!

I paid $12 to select 2 seats on an Air Tran flight from MCO. Then we decided to switch our flight to leave out of Tampa instead (for a hefty fee, of course), and I had to pay another $12 for those 2 seats! No 'refund' of the first set of 'seats' which we never even sat in! I honestly thought since I only had the seats on the Orlando flight tied up for 24 hours, that the second $12 might be waived.

Wendi63
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
If they start charging for carry ons, people might just start wearing all of their clothing in layers.:rotfl:so they don't have to pay for a carry on. Of course, the airlines would probably find a way around that by weighing each passenger and charging a fee per pound over their allowed weight limit. :eek: I would be in BIG trouble if that happened. I couldn't afford to fly.

purdyratt
08-05-2008, 12:15 AM
This is just getting too ridiculous..... :mad:
I live in FL and my family is in CA and C. America
-r

KJFAE
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
LOL!! I did hear about US Airways charging for water & soda now - they say they will give water to those having to take meds/pregnant or for those who are realllllllly thirsty & have no cash on them - gee, how generous.

They were making fun of this on the local radio - asking if they'll charge for the restroom next or even charge people who are carrying on their own bottle of water - you know, the one you already got ripped off for because you had to buy it at the airport since you couldn't bring one from home through security!

mirandag819
08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Maybe they will start to charge for the oxygen masks above our heads.....if you want one you have to pay for it, other wise it won't drop in the event it needs to.

lanny76
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
:rotfl: Some of these comments are so funny! But unfortunately, some are probably true too about what airlines will charge for next. I think it's crazy that they would want you to pay for water - sure, if they want to charge for soda, fine, but do let people at least have water to drink without paying 2 bucks for it!! But then, if you don't have anything to drink, maybe you won't have to go to the bathroom - and when they start charging for that, at least you could avoid that charge too!

sammielynn
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I know I have paid $7.50 per ticket for the honor of buying tickets on line. I will not pay for a seat assignment. Put me where ever but do give me a seat. I don't want to sit on the floor.
Now if my children were younger I would pay to sit with them, but I would also change seats with a parent so they could sit by their child, I'm not the babysitter.
We just started flying in the past two years and may have to give it up. Man, that stinks.

FigmentFever
08-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Reminds me of this weird airline bunk bed concept I read about several months ago...

http://aido3n.blogspot.com/2008/01/airlinegeek-lufthansa-considering-bunk.html

Maybe instead of using two separate seats, we can sit on our spouse's lap and get pillows and water for our efforts. Kids go in the overhead compartment since we will definitely go with wearing our clothes in layers to avoid paying for carry-ons ... of course they will put in some ventilation slots for there comfort and enjoyment.

spring
08-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Reminds me of this weird airline bunk bed concept I read about several months ago...

http://aido3n.blogspot.com/2008/01/airlinegeek-lufthansa-considering-bunk.html

Maybe instead of using two separate seats, we can sit on our spouse's lap and get pillows and water for our efforts. Kids go in the overhead compartment since we will definitely go with wearing our clothes in layers to avoid paying for carry-ons ... of course they will put in some ventilation slots for there comfort and enjoyment.

Thanks for the link! It actually looks like an intereting concept. I'm wondering if there will be a snore vs. non-snore section.;)

sunshinecindy
08-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the link! It actually looks like an intereting concept. I'm wondering if there will be a snore vs. non-snore section.;)

Yes, you'll have to pay extra for the non-snore section.

PSL1013
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
This was on David Letterman show last night....it was very funny when he was reading them. :D

Top Ten Signs Your Airline is Cutting Costs

During flight they hit you with additional $200 "landing charge"

It's day 4 of your honeymoon and you're still on the tarmac

Plane has a "Hyundai" hood ornament

When you arrive, Hawaii looks suspiciously like Detroit

Inflatable vest replaced with smaller inflatable bow ties

Plane can't take off until you lose 20 pounds

In-flight entertainment: watching two fat guys fight for an armrest

Flight attendants wearing clothes you packed

The pilot -- Andy Dick. Seriously, Andy, we love you and want you to get help!

During the captain's preflight checklist, you hear him say, "close enough"