PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

mmm611
08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
My first full time job is not going so well right now. I started with the company back in early January. Last Friday, I was told that I and one other person will be getting cut from 40 to 20 hours per week, starting 8/18. It sucks, big time. What sucked even more was that I had a futon delivered to my apartment the following day. That was just baaaaaaaaaad all around timing.

So since I am now officially looking for a job again (hoping to find something PT to make up for the loss of income and to keep me from going insane sitting at home), I am officially in a no stupid spending mode. If it's not a necessity, I'm not buying it. This is where I have a slight dilemma.

I have $40 for my cashback bonus from Discover right now. I think it's time to cash that in. I have a few options here.

1. Credit my account for the $40.
2. Get a department store GC for $45 for the $40 credit.
3. Get a restaurant GC for $45 for the $40 credit.

I would probably go with Kohl's for the dept. store GC, but haven't been there in a while. My problem with them is once I go in, I want LOTS of stuff. LOL, so I'm probably better off staying out of there.

For restaurants, they have Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays. Pizza Hut is actually next door - so walking distance! I don't really get to Friday's too often, but it might be a nice change of pace and they have a bit more variety. I think the closest one is about 5 miles away, so that would involve gas money. Going to Friday's would actually help me with surveys too! I like both and can't really decide which one to go with.

Much as I know I probably should go with the creditting the account, I really don't like that idea. When I'm in no spending mode, I need to do something for myself periodically to stay on track or else I will go completely insane. I look at it as being as long as I don't actually spend too much out of pocket, it's ok to use free money like this to reward myself for staying on track.

OH yeah, I also have a bunch of Borders GC's I cashed out for last week. I was planning on buying a DVD from them and a calendar, but then I got the news about work. I'm still trying to justify getting the DVD, since technically, it's not out of pocket. The calendar will definitely get put on hold till I have money again. I'm trying to make it to the point where I can psychologically justify getting that.

So what would you go with?

ligrumpygirl
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Did you know if you wait until right after the new year, calendars are 50% off or more?

mmm611
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, that's part of the reason I'm telling myself to wait on that!

askomsky
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I voted for the food GC, your right that you need to do something nice for yourself and IMHO your getting more for your buck then crediting the CC.

Hedy
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I vote for anything but the credit.

sammielynn
08-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Pay the bills first! Eating out and going to stores is not a good thing when you are looking at a pay cut.

m 'n c
08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Ugh I hate decisions like this. Obviously you are getting more than you had by taking a gift card but it is encouraging you to go spend. I don't know about you but I never get enough to cover the gift card - usually I buy more. So if you are on a strict no shopping plan you might want to just let it sit or go with the cash to your credit card.

lanny76
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Ugh I hate decisions like this. Obviously you are getting more than you had by taking a gift card but it is encouraging you to go spend. I don't know about you but I never get enough to cover the gift card - usually I buy more. So if you are on a strict no shopping plan you might want to just let it sit or go with the cash to your credit card.

In your situation, this does sound like the wisest course. It doesn't mean you can't set aside a few dollars from your budget otherwise to give yourself a small treat or something that feels like a bit of an indulgence to keep you from going insane.
Cate is right - it's easy to overspend a GC. I do it more than I like, and then that doesn't help save!

Blessing and Miracle
08-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm sorry about your job situation. Hopefully, you'll find something soon.

I would only choose the credit if it would apply as a monthly payment, if not, I'd opt for the gc to Pizza Hut right next door, with no gas involved. That way you could probably have two meals with 40.00. In the long run, you'll be saving grocery money.

Whatever you decide, you'll be 40.00 ahead! Good luck.:)

Sunni
08-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Wishing you luck with finding another job! I would go for the credit. I always overspend on the GCs. Let us know what you decided.

schaery
08-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but I vote for paying on the card, too.

andrea2289
08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry your going through such a difficult time. You'll be in our prayers :hugs:

I voted for the TGI Fridays card. My husband and I have been up and down and everything in between, but no matter how bad things get, you deserve to just go out for a nice meal and 'forget' about your problems for an evening :)

mmm611
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Figured I'd give a bit of an update here. I decided to sit on the cash back till I had my next statement and was originally going to wait till after going to the mall tomorrow to see if they had anything at Sears or JC Penney I could buy for work clothes that would be free or very close to free. Well, my car is getting brake work done right now and it's more than twice what I anticipated, so I ended up credditing the account to take some of the sting out of raiding my savings. I HATE seeing my savings go down. This sucks. This is absolutely not how I wanted to start my billing period.

I did find a new job and I start in two weeks, but this too involves a small pay cut. I think the way I justified it for me is that 40 hours at the reduced rate is still more than 20 hours at my current rate -- and it put a lot of the bills that much closer to being paid. The idea right now is since this is via a temp agency, to stick it out four months, make it permanent, get a raise, and forget this happened. My current pay is at the low end of the permanent pay, so I'm hoping that when that happens, the raise will too.

I was going to place a Lakeside Collection order today for one small thing for me and two Christmas presents for my brothers, but with the car repairs being so high and everything else, I'm reconsidering that too. I would still prefer to do it in the next few days so it would arrive while I'm still home during the day, but I don't know. I'm starting to think that either my SR money from here till Thanksgiving may be going to pay for Christmas presents, or a lot of people may end up getting crappy homemade presents!