PDA

View Full Version : My sister is leaving for Disney tonight....

linanglab
08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I am quite excited for her and her family, and my Mom and Dad. They leave tonight, going to drive straight through. They will go to a beach in FL for 2 days, then on Sunday night, stay in Orlando with their first day at Disney on Monday....however.... I have to admit that I am a bit envious. I have had the Disney bug REALLY bad lately.

I was able to go through with her all the park info. Like which rides her kids and mom and dad would like/wouldn't like. The must dos and the skippables. Explained to her where she should head to when she gets to the park and which rides will be busy and which ones aren't too bad. Helped her with all the EMH information. It was really fun explaining to her all the Disney details!

She is finishing packing and will be loading up the vehicle this afternoon. She is doing the gallon sized baggies for her kids' clothes. She LOVED that idea.

Can't wait to find out how much fun they had!

Sunni
08-14-2008, 08:09 AM
How exciting! :banana: I hope they have a safe and fun trip. What a great sister to fill her in with all the ins and outs. How can they not have fun with all that info.

pbhall13
08-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I love that first day of vacation jitters.....excited about going, making sure you have everything...will the weather be nice...can't wait to see _____ (fill in the blank)...

I am sure you gave her tons of information to help her out!! That's what sisters are for, right!?

Pamela

sammielynn
08-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Hope they have fun and I wish you were with them. But I wish I was with them also.

Hedy
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
:hugs: This was the trip you and Bethany were supposed to go on, right? :(

Magical JenK
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Hopefully she'll call you from MK?! I always make my family members call from MK to make me feel like I'm there! Sorry you're not going this time, but just think of all the planning you get to do for next year!!

JillyFish
08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
:hugs:.... I know you wanted to go too Angela!

It may be time for a little Disney Vacation YouTube style!! :mickey:

LuvMyBoys
08-14-2008, 12:47 PM
My brother is their with his family right now for their first Disney trip. I've been helping them plan and giving them all the "insider" tips since April. It's so fun to help plan and live vicariously through their trip! :angel:

So far they have loved all of their ADRs and have really appreciated the advice I gave them on the DDP, the parks, etc.

My requested thank you gift was simple.........daily phone calls with updates from their trip! :rotfl:

And he has called my every day and let me know how everything was going, I can't tell you how much I have looked forward to these calls and hearing the details of their trip while they were experiencing it! :)

Angela, make your sister promise to call you and share the magic with you! I hope they have a wonderful time (I'm sure that you are a bit nervous about that just like I was!). :)

linanglab
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes....this was the vacation that Bethany and I were supposed to go on....:cry: Instead, we get to start school next week and I get to start my first full week of work! LOL

She told me they would call me periodically to let me know how things are going, and call me with any info they might need!

I keep saying to myself....well, they are leaving in X amount of hours. She is probably bringing stuff downstairs to put in the car, she is probably packing up her snacks and cleaning up around the house. She is probably doing her last load of dishes and laundry.....pathetic I am, huh????

Because I am not going with them this time, I am really hoping Bethany and I will be able to go in April next year AND in August with the whole family. Money stinks right now, so time will tell!

Blessing and Miracle
08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Angela, I so understand. My oldest Sister and her DH is in Hawaii right now and I so wish I could be there too.:rotfl: DH and I were suppose to go a couple of years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary, but didn't want to leave the twins for that long.

I'm terrible as I haven't even unpacked my suitcases from Las Vegas yet and her I am already wishing I was on another trip! LOL.

Well, hopefully you'll be doing all of that planning for your family's visit really soon!;) And with the new job you'll be able to save even more.:)

Weluvdisny
08-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I hope your sister has a great time!:clap:

I love helping people plan their trip. It's so much fun. It helps me get through the times when we don't have a trip planned. I've only had one person not like what I help them pick for a place to stay. They didn't like POR because it was too big and spread out. Everyone is different, ya know? We absolutely loved POR because of the fact that you felt like you had the place almost to yourself.

Your sister should have brought a pic of you and put it in front of your favorite places and made it look like you were there with them!:rotfl:

luvdisney00
08-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Angela,
I know it stinks that you aren't going, but helping someone you love plan is the next best thing , I hope you family has a wonderful time. Just think, if you are thinking about 2 trips in 09, it's almost time to start the serious planning. I think I love the planning and dreaming almost as much as the trip!

Good Luck with your job, and just think of it as more earning for Disney. Whenever I really don't feel like working, I try to think of it as "todays earnings can pay for a dinner at Chef Mickey's or 1 plane ticket or 1 trip to BBB" or something like that. Helps me stay focused even if that pay is really going to something boring like the electric bill!

Hang in there!

linanglab
08-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Just thought I would give a brief description of their trip....

They got there on Monday. It was nice for Monday and 1/2 of Tuesday, then the rains came. They said it pretty much rained non stop. A brief 1/2 hour stoppage periodically. Her boys ONLY wanted to see the Power Rangers, and they never came out because of rain. Her boys were mad and decided to throw away their movies since the Power Rangers refused to see them. (silly to us, but not to 8, 6 & 4 year old boys).

My mom either broke or badly sprained her ankle getting off the carousel. That is, getting off the BENCH on the carousel. Not sure how she did that, but she had to be in a wheelchair the remainder of the trip because it was so bad. She refused to go to a hospital to get it X-rayed. Just a little of her stubbornness.

All in all, my sister and her family AND mom and dad said it was the worse vacation of their lives. Mom and Dad were thinking about going with us next year, but now dad says "when donkeys fly".

I hate when people go to Disney and have a really bad time. It just happened to be a very bad week, and they happened to pick it. I was so hoping mom and dad would join us for part of our trip next year, but I guess that is out of the question now....my kids are a bit disappointed.

Well, that is the trip of a lifetime for my sister. I definitely feel bad for her....

spring
08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Just thought I would give a brief description of their trip....

They got there on Monday. It was nice for Monday and 1/2 of Tuesday, then the rains came. They said it pretty much rained non stop. A brief 1/2 hour stoppage periodically. Her boys ONLY wanted to see the Power Rangers, and they never came out because of rain. Her boys were mad and decided to throw away their movies since the Power Rangers refused to see them. (silly to us, but not to 8, 6 & 4 year old boys).

My mom either broke or badly sprained her ankle getting off the carousel. That is, getting off the BENCH on the carousel. Not sure how she did that, but she had to be in a wheelchair the remainder of the trip because it was so bad. She refused to go to a hospital to get it X-rayed. Just a little of her stubbornness.

All in all, my sister and her family AND mom and dad said it was the worse vacation of their lives. Mom and Dad were thinking about going with us next year, but now dad says "when donkeys fly".

I hate when people go to Disney and have a really bad time. It just happened to be a very bad week, and they happened to pick it. I was so hoping mom and dad would join us for part of our trip next year, but I guess that is out of the question now....my kids are a bit disappointed.

Well, that is the trip of a lifetime for my sister. I definitely feel bad for her....

Oh, how awful for them! I can see how frustrated they would be, but I don't think the weather gave them the chance to enjoy the wonder of Disney. I truly hope your Mom heals fast.:hugs:

PSL1013
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow that is really horrible luck that they had...we had a very rainy vacation a few years ago but having been there many times, we just tried to make the best of it but I know it must be hard if it was suppose to be the trip of a lifetime. You should tell them to wait a few years and give it another try because we all know here that a really, really bad vacation at Disney is always better than a really good day at home/work, right? ;)

luvdisney00
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Angela,
Wow, that really stinks for them and for you too. Maybe after a while, they will all be able to laugh about it and your parents can be covinced to give it another try. Maybe you could tell them it would be different with your family because you guys are so experienced with the ins and outs of the parks.

I went to church on Sunday (12:00 mass) with my head full of Disney after planning all morning, and much to my surprise, the priest gives a sermon about WDW! He was there the same time as your family, and he said, he thought Mon. was too hot, and the rest of the week was great with the rain. He said he was there with his 2 nieces 2 and 5 years old, and they put on their ponchos and enjoyed running thru the rain to the rides. He called it "God's air conditioning" because it cooled everything down so much. I thought his attitude was great, and made me worry less about the weather for our trip in 23 days. I'll be disappointed if it's a bad storm, but I guess I'll try to adopt a good attitude like his.

I hope your Mom's ankle is better soon!

linanglab
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Talked to mom....FINALLY! She did break her foot. I guess it wasn't her ankle. But her foot is broken, and she cannot get into the doctor for a couple more days. By that time, I am sure there won't be too much they can do for her. Hoping it is healing properly. No wonder she was in so much pain! She is wobbling around on it still.

Definitely a WDW trip to remember.....:o

Anyone want to take dibs on whether or not they will come with us next year???? My guess is a big fat NO!

mjjmbnmm
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry about your moms foot, but I do hope they will give disney another chance, maybe after a little time they will change their minds.

linanglab
09-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Just thought I would post one more time on this thread. Mom finally went to the orth. He told her she had a VERy bad break and that it has shifted and splintered. He said that if she would have gone to him in the first couple of days that he would have done surgery. She has a huge immobilization boot on and thinks that it will heal itself. She goes back in 2 weeks to see how it is doing. :(

Thinking that their disney experiences will be no more to come!

Magical JenK
09-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh man...that's not magical at all!! Sorry to hear that!

Sunni
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
:hugs: for Angela's Mom. So sorry to hear that.

fourfoxesinpa
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Man, what a bummer!

Angela, don't rule out any future visits for them. Weather can't be helped and they'll hopefully try it again. I mean, the first time we cruised on DCL, we were with Hurricane Jeanne and the trip was awful. BUT, it was Disney and they did the best they could given the weather and we gave it another try, and another try, and another...:rotfl: So, after the pain goes away, maybe Mom will want to try again with you guys.