PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Anyone else a "Big winner"?

TIAMOMMA
07-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm sure this is an off-shoot of some free offer I did. Today I rec'd a check for $2890.00 along with a letter from Canada (Prudence Financial Inc) to advise me that I'm an exceptionally luck sweepstake winner.

Unfortunately, due to International Law it stipulates that the winner needs to pay a processing fee before funds are released. But luckily for me they encloded a check for 2890.00. Once I cash the check I can contact my claims agent to find out how much to withdraw and send to the processing Office to finalize the payment of my $46,650.00 in winnings!!

Gee, am I a lucky girl or what? Funny how the mail was sent from Canada, I guess that will exempt them from U.S. laws. The check looks quite legitimate. I hate it when I see this kind of stuff - I wonder how many people run right out to the bank then call their "claims agent" to find out where to send the money. I'm sure this is usually done before the check comes back bounced and the "lucky winner" has already sent the funds (Oh why do I have the feeling the funds would need to be sent via Western Union?) to the shyster running this.

Anyway, I either saved myself from a scam or I'm giving up $46,650.00! :rotfl:

coastalgirl
07-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Yep I got one too!

jollytammy
07-07-2007, 11:45 AM
it's a scam--I got a check for about a couple thousand from a mystery shopper thingy--I spend the money, and I guess the check would pay me back--unlikely, checked on the internet, it's a scam. Usually you can find info on these scams on the internet by searching on google--glad you didn't cash it!!!

PSL1013
07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
it's a scam--I got a check for about a couple thousand from a mystery shopper thingy--I spend the money, and I guess the check would pay me back--unlikely, checked on the internet, it's a scam. Usually you can find info on these scams on the internet by searching on google--glad you didn't cash it!!!

I got that mystery shopper check also....right in the shredder it went! :rotfl:

mollyeilis
07-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Hubby got one (interesting, as I'm the one throwing my own name all over the known universe, LOL).

We both wondered what exactly would happen if you just deposited the check and did nothing else? Probably it would just eventually bounce, I suppose...

Mandi
07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I got one from a mystery shopping place too. It's sitting right in front of me because I got it yesterday. Looks like a traveler's cheque for $4991. All I have to do is cash it and wire all this money through Western Union and Moneygram and rate their services. :rolleyes: Yeah sure, I'll get right on that. :rolleyes: I feel sorry for anyone that falls for that and losing all that money.

~Kathie
07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
We get those all the time.

What's really sad is many times they target the elderly who often fall for the scam. :(

sselig2000
07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I also received one of the ones from Canada. I'll bet that alot of people get sucked into this scam. The check is very official looking. Especially elderly people. It is sad:(

Lisaj68
07-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Haven't got it yet...boo hoo!

Seriously though, are those items supposed to be turned into the post office? I thought I remember hearing that once....?

kayjo
07-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Ever since I signed up for SR I have been receiving e-mails proclaiming me the lucky winner of some foreign lottery. I think I have "won" the lottery in every country in Europe, some countries in Africa, and Australia. My "winnings" now total in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Guess I can finally afford to stay at the Grand Floridian now.

ChickiePants
07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
We both wondered what exactly would happen if you just deposited the check and did nothing else? Probably it would just eventually bounce, I suppose...

Even more interesting, I wonder what would happen if you cashed it at one of those "check cashing" places where you have to give them part of it as a fee. I'd almost try it just to see how hard they laugh. ;)

llgray16
07-08-2007, 10:37 AM
I haven't won anything but apparently there are some guys in Nigeria that really need my help in getting millions out of their country. Can you believe that they are going to give me a huge chunk of it just for helping them out? I don't even have to do anything except send them my checking account info! Wow, such an easy way to make a few million. I guess I can give up SR now that I am going to have all these millions.

OK, j/k! I can't believe people really fall for some of these scams! It really is sad!

m 'n c
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
If you cash the check they can get your account number, routing number, and signature from the cancelled check and then you are screwed because they can make the fake checks with your info on them and run your account dry. So don't try it out just for fun.

belbook
07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I haven't won anything but apparently there are some guys in Nigeria that really need my help in getting millions out of their country. Can you believe that they are going to give me a huge chunk of it just for helping them out? I don't even have to do anything except send them my checking account info! Wow, such an easy way to make a few million. I guess I can give up SR now that I am going to have all these millions.

OK, j/k! I can't believe people really fall for some of these scams! It really is sad!

And I won the UK lottery - an unbelievable amount of pounds - and it'll be mine as soon as I send a minor processing fee. :rotfl:

Preciouscn
07-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I haven't won anything yet nor is anyone needing my help :sunshine2: :sunshine2: . My parents had to made an international wire transfer cause we are getting ready to move back home and they got the twenty questions game from the bank. Is this to help someone get their lottery wins? Is this to help someone with the inheritage? I guess banks are trying to save their behinds about now warning people when they send the money out of the country.

mollyeilis
07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
If you cash the check they can get your account number, routing number, and signature from the cancelled check and then you are screwed because they can make the fake checks with your info on them and run your account dry. So don't try it out just for fun.

Excellent point! I haven't gotten checks back in I don't know how long, so I don't even *think* about being able to see the checks and info...but I suppose if you were a scammer, you'd pay for that now-extra service! :)

Chelley00
07-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I got one from a mystery shopping place too. It's sitting right in front of me because I got it yesterday. Looks like a traveler's cheque for $4991. All I have to do is cash it and wire all this money through Western Union and Moneygram and rate their services. :rolleyes: Yeah sure, I'll get right on that. :rolleyes: I feel sorry for anyone that falls for that and losing all that money.

I got one too. Man how I wish it was real :)