PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Thank you gift

Lucinda
05-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I wanted to give my son's teacher a little something at the end of school.
He has had such awful teachers for kindergarden and 1st. grade ,but this year he had a great caring teacher. ( I think those are rare these days) but anyway I wanted to thank her for all her caring and help for my son. He wasnt to crazy about school but now he seems to be enjoying it. Any ideas for a special gift for her? Thanks for your help.

missymagic
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I knaow a lot of teachers get ...candles and the lotions etc.....but last year Iasked my oldest dd teacher wheat they enjoy getting...she tole me they love new hard back books for the room anf the thing she likes the most is supplies for next year. Our school district only gives them so much (which isn't a lot at all) and they have to purchase everything else they need. So I go to Sam's Club buy a huge pack of construction paper..glue, tape, tissues, paper and whatever else good I find. Then I got o dollar store and get some kind of tub to put it all in. That seems to be the biggest hit here.

wilsonfamily4
05-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I went to college at a teaching school so all my friends are teachers. They say gift cards to places like Learning Palace or Borders are great because most likely they will buy books that go right back to your childs classroom. I try and do this and then add a coffee gift card so they can get a little something too. My one friend is a teacher at a wealthy school and gets gift cards to spas and she even got one to a place she could get new tires.
Another friend is at a private school and gets paid so little that every little extra helps her out. Things like gas cards and grocery cards are good for her. Though she loves getting Borders cards so she can get books for her classroom.

Lucinda
05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for some great ideas!!

Alice28
05-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I agree, a gift card is a fab idea. as a former daycare teacher, I can tell you that although the gesture is super nice, we only need so many chocolates, candles and lotions! My most favorite gift was a Target gift card one year. :love:

Although I made DS's teacher cry last year- I made her a scrapbook of the year. I told her I was just working on a 'project' for the kids and came in the classroom one day and took pics of each kid and have them write about what made 2nd grade special...then I put the album together. She was crying! She was the most wonderful teacher.....my only regret with us moving is that now my younger son won't have the privilege of having this woman as a teacher.

Lucinda
05-06-2007, 07:02 AM
I love the scrapbook idea. I bet she did love that.

Alice28
05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I just have to share what this teacher did for our family- not only was she an excellent teacher in getting the children to learn what they needed to learn, she was extremely caring and compassionate. My DH had been mobilized to Iraq when my oldest started 1st grade. He had two teachers for the 1st grade, and while both acknowledged what was going on, neither of them really 'did' anything- I thought maybe the class might write DH a letter or something, but no.

OK, so when 2nd grade starts, DH is still gone, and I tell this teacher what's going on, just so she knows. Immediately she asks for his mailing address. The class writes letters once a month, she does a whole lesson on supporting the troops, on where Iraq is, on why we are there (to help iraqis have freedom). She refers our name to the principal at Christmastime- we were not hurting financially, but a charitible family in the area was looking for a military family to spoil at Christmastime- so because Sam's teacher referred our name, my kids were spoiled with hundreds of dollars of gifts, this family bought us $200 worth of stuff at Costco and also gifts for DH and I. It really lifted our moods, as DH STILL wasn't home!

AND THEN, to top it off, when he came home in January, this teacher knew I had to drive up to Seattle to see him and she called me about something and I said, "I'm trying to find a decent hotel to stay at with the kids while we're up there." And she said, "Hang on, I want to give you something- will you be home another hour?" She came over and gave me $300 so we could have fun with DH that weekend! I tried to refuse and she wouldn't hear of it...I cried, she cried. I couldn't believe it....and then she had a HUGE welcome home party for him in her classroom- the kids learned a song to sing, she made this huge flag (the kids colored it), had lunch for DH and I...it was amazing.

Talk about a person really giving us a boost. And more importantly, giving my son a boost- it made him feel soooo special that his teacher really made a big deal about his Daddy serving our country and doing something so brave and important.

She heard we were moving and tracked me down and said, "Noooo! I was so looking forward to having Josh in my class in 2 years and getting to have you and Bob as parents again.." :(

She was seriously an angel:angel: the scrapbook was the least I could do.

Lowie
05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
awww, dang, alice28... you made me cry... but in a good way.

Lucinda
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Alice, Thank you for sharing that story. That was wonderful. Now that is a Teacher, isn't it?

missymagic
05-06-2007, 08:22 PM
You made me cry also!!! It is not fun having family members away...that was a very special teacher...I am glad your husband and there daddy is home safe!!!

Alice28
05-06-2007, 10:29 PM
You made me cry also!!! It is not fun having family members away...that was a very special teacher...I am glad your husband and there daddy is home safe!!!

Me too....except it's likely he'll be deployed again in late 2008. But we're not dwelling on that yet! :blush:

speechteachri
05-07-2007, 08:38 AM
What a great teacher!! Thanks for sharing!