PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Issue

jnorth1007
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe you guys can give me some help. I have a son who will be 3 in August. We have been potty training for awhile and he does really well with #1 but we have an issue with #2. He won't wear underpants because he wont do #2 on the toilet. I have been trying like heck to figure out why. Well come to find out through bribing him. He has a very strong gag reflex and smells seriously affect him. He tried #2 on the potty this morning and immediately started gagging almost vomited. Now he wont go back on the potty because he says it makes him sick. Any ideas how I can handle this? I know if I could deal with the smell and gag issues then he would be potty trained I just don't know what to do. I know this is kinda nasty to discuss on here but I am stumped and so tired of pull ups and diapers. TIA!

coastalgirl
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
How about a little squirt bottle with some rose water for him to spray when he goes potty?? It won't hurt anything and you can get a rather large bottle for fairly cheap and just put it in a bottle with water! Maybe that will distract him enough to do his business!

Hope that helps!!!
Lydia

LuvMyBoys
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
That's funny, we have a 3yr old boy who does #2 in the potty just fine, but doesn't like to do #1 in the potty! :)

I know the pull-ups and diapers get old (and expensive) but try not to stress. We have 4 boys and all of them (except the 3yr old we are working on right now) potty trained fully at 3 1/2. We tried before then, but it was just too early for all of them.

If you want to keep trying though, perhaps you could light a candle when he goes in there and tell him it will " help take away the stinky". It sounds like it's probably a mental thing with him at this point b/c I really can't see how going on the potty is more stinky then going in a diaper!! YUCK! :)

Good luck!!

jnorth1007
07-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Homestly, he gags when I change a dirty diaper as well but I guess he doesnt smell it until I open it to change it. I am going to try putting some nice smelly things in the bathroom and maybe I can find an activity to do while he sits there. I don't care how soon he gets trained as long as it is before my December Disney trip :rotfl: I will probably wish he was still in diapers once I get there and have 3 of them saying they need to go.

LuvMyBoys
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
We were talking too about how we wanted our little guy trained before our September trip, and then I thought about it some more and now I'm not so sure. :rotfl:

Diapers are a pain but they sure easier than taking them to the bathroom every 20 minutes! :)

I just noticed your avatar pic, do you have 3 boys??

chocovrdmicears
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
that is not nasty! nothing is nasty among moms when it comes to our kids!:hugs:

maybe you could give him something scented to hold while he goes? Like a cloth wrapped around a dryer sheet or a yankee candle car jar? poor little guy...

we had a terrible time trying to potty train our dd..I honest thought she would NEVER EVER get out of diapers..and my kids are 18 months apart so I had two in diapers for what seemed forever...one day she told me she would go in the potty if we bought her a real live goldfish..we did..and she did! And she never had a problem after that..she just needed to do it on her own terms (like everything else:rolleyes: ).

My ds4 has autism so we are a LONG ways away from being done with diapers forever... But I am an optismist! Maybe both our little guys will come up with a plan and surprise us! :hugs:

luvdisney
07-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I am with you about being sick of pull-ups and the expense of them but my DS who will be 5 in October has Autism and we are no where near getting potty trained. He will sit every now and then but it's only about once a week. His school has told me to send in a potty chair like he has at home and they would work with him. So far all they have done in the past 9 months is teach him to wash his hands, like that helps any.

ItsmeSunnyV
07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
that is not nasty! nothing is nasty among moms when it comes to our kids!:hugs:

So very true!!!

we had a terrible time trying to potty train our dd..I honest thought she would NEVER EVER get out of diapers..and my kids are 18 months apart so I had two in diapers for what seemed forever...one day she told me she would go in the potty if we bought her a real live goldfish..we did..and she did! And she never had a problem after that..she just needed to do it on her own terms (like everything else:rolleyes: ).

:
How old was she?? I have a 2 yr old DD who will be 3 in Sept. and having the worst luck with her. My DS was way easier, but I think the fact that she is the baby of the family is not helping, she's so darn spoiled. Maybe I can bribe her...lol

chocovrdmicears
07-13-2007, 05:44 PM
How old was she?? [/QUOTE]

She was 3 (turning 4 that Feb:eek: ) and was on the verge of starting preschool in Sept...We got Gary the Goldfish the middle of August. ;) and she was ready to 'go' :rotfl: by the time school started.

mseg16222
07-13-2007, 05:47 PM
oh I don't miss those days. I have 2 DS that are 13 months apart. The first one was 18 months and stopped having accidents after a week. THe second one....oh my was over 3 and still in pullups. Only used the pullups in public. At hope I used cloths diapers....(the thicker ones ) that would hold the moisture. Everyone said it would work. Well when I would go check him he would just strip and where nothing after he peed them. It took lots of patients and asking him a million times but was potty trained by 3 and 1/2 years old.
A friend of mine did an incentive jar. With small candy bars or stupid little dollar store toys broke up. And everytime her son pooped on the pot he got to get something out. Not sure my son would have done that but it wokred for her.

Tiggerific711
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I am with you about being sick of pull-ups and the expense of them but my DS who will be 5 in October has Autism and we are no where near getting potty trained. He will sit every now and then but it's only about once a week. His school has told me to send in a potty chair like he has at home and they would work with him. So far all they have done in the past 9 months is teach him to wash his hands, like that helps any.

My DS (who has a seizure disorder, been diagnosed with PDD and is learning delayed) trained a month before his 5th birthday. We had been trying for months and he really wasn't interested. He went from going in his pull-ups (actually goodnights since he had outgrown the pull-ups) one day to going on the toilet the next. Once he decided he was ready that was it, he was trained and had very few accidents. We were thrilled, I never thought I would actually get him potty trained.

TTFN,
Marianne

chipndale
07-14-2007, 10:36 PM
As my doctor would say - every child is different and when he or she is ready it will happen. Man, I feel your pain. My ds was 4 and he started potty training at 3 and just finished. My ds would stay dry all night and go in the pullup all day. It was so frustrating. I tried the bribes with money, candy etc and nothing seemed to work. He just didn't care. It wasn't until my mom was watching him and she had just asked him if he had to go to the potty and he said no and within 5 minutes he told her that his pullup needed changed. My mom left him in it for about 1 hour. She said that he was very upset. So after that I told him to just go in the pullup and I would change it when I could - that worked wonders. Good Luck and I would try to distract him as he goes.

faithhope
07-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I'll share my toilet training story...
My daughter didn't give up diapers until she was 4... She wouldn't be bribed by stickers (this worked with DD #1)... or candy... or any kind of treats...
I'm sorry to say I even tried to shame her by telling her all her friends were potty trained... none of this worked... she didn't even mind (in fact she prefered) sitting in the mess for a while.

We were going crazy...she stayed dry all night... I knew she could do it... but I guess in hindsight...she didn't...

So she had to sit on the potty and "try" each day... when she got up...and after lunch...and before bed... She didn't have to pee or poo... she just had to sit on the potty and "try"... we applauded her every try. At first she would just sit, and not really try... but that was ok...she sat, and we told her she did a good job...not every try is successful... the important bit is trying...

This was our first bit of knowledge about what a perfectionist she is... she doesn't like doing anything until she knows she can do it well... Now she is on to pretending she can't read... so I read her story books and tell her about different phonics rules... and every now and then she slips up and reads a sign... but she strongly maintains she can't read.

So this is just one of many hurdles in child rearing... I'm not sure what the trick for your child will be... maybe a nose plug (something like swimmers wear?)... the nice smelling scents is a good idea too..

Good Luck,
Faith

jnorth1007
07-28-2007, 09:28 PM
OK guys I now have another issue sort of related to the same thing. We got a new kitten the other day. He has been ill with an upper respiratory infection and so bowel movements weren;t much of an issue until today. He has been on medicine for several days and I guess today was the first day that things finally "got moving". So DS is standing in the den watching television and the kitten goes across the room to the litter box and moves its bowels and covers it. Well the smell hit DS and he started throwing up, not gagging but physically hurling and wouldn't stop until there was nothing left to hurl. At this point he starts gagging everytime he even thinks about the smell so I had to take him outside for 40 minutes until he forgot about it and the smell cleared and he could once again come in. WTH am I going to do if he can't stand his own smell or the cat's without puking??? Am I going to have to get rid of the cat and get him a nose plug before he will potty train #2?? #1 is no issue, does that in the toilet consistently. :confused:

ItsmeSunnyV
07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
OK guys I now have another issue sort of related to the same thing. We got a new kitten the other day. He has been ill with an upper respiratory infection and so bowel movements weren;t much of an issue until today. He has been on medicine for several days and I guess today was the first day that things finally "got moving". So DS is standing in the den watching television and the kitten goes across the room to the litter box and moves its bowels and covers it. Well the smell hit DS and he started throwing up, not gagging but physically hurling and wouldn't stop until there was nothing left to hurl. At this point he starts gagging everytime he even thinks about the smell so I had to take him outside for 40 minutes until he forgot about it and the smell cleared and he could once again come in. WTH am I going to do if he can't stand his own smell or the cat's without puking??? Am I going to have to get rid of the cat and get him a nose plug before he will potty train #2?? #1 is no issue, does that in the toilet consistently. :confused:

I personally would probably get rid of the kitten. Im not a cat kind of person, so maybe Im no Help. lol

LuvMyBoys
07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I would also think about getting rid of the cat or moving the litter box to a remote location in the house. I HATE the smell of the litter box and we are currently trying to give away our cat b/c it's a never ending battle, no matter how hard we try to keep up the litter box. The cat is a crapping machine :sick:

I'm so sorry that you are having so many issues, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. I hope he grows out of it, that seems like it would be hard to take him into public restrooms and stuff going forward without him gagging. :(

Sahmy
07-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Maybe you guys can give me some help. I have a son who will be 3 in August. We have been potty training for awhile and he does really well with #1 but we have an issue with #2. He won't wear underpants because he wont do #2 on the toilet. I have been trying like heck to figure out why. Well come to find out through bribing him. He has a very strong gag reflex and smells seriously affect him. He tried #2 on the potty this morning and immediately started gagging almost vomited. Now he wont go back on the potty because he says it makes him sick. Any ideas how I can handle this? I know if I could deal with the smell and gag issues then he would be potty trained I just don't know what to do. I know this is kinda nasty to discuss on here but I am stumped and so tired of pull ups and diapers. TIA!

We had this SAME problem with dd3. It stopped after two weeks. I think she got tired of the drama of it all. We made sure to not make a big deal of the smell and to make a HUGE deal of the fact that she pooped in the potty. We would flush the toilet right away before we wiped her and told her to do the same so the smell wouldn't bother her but we didn't fuss about it. Just be very no nonsense and practical. We just wiped her and got her out of the bathroom, reinforcing that she had just done a great thing.

I really think in her case the coughing, gagging, panicking and starting to cry (but never really quite crying) just became too much work. She's the youngest on both sides of the family, and my older two are 10 and 12 and dote on her; she is VERY spoiled despite DHs and my effort. It has turned her into a bit of a drama queen.

I thought DH was going to do cartwheels when she calmly told us she went poopy and didn't even mention the smell.

Don't get rid of the kitten. Just relax and don't stress about it all. I know that sounds like it's easy for me to say but trust me, I know what you're going through and how hard it is. It took this one SO long to potty train (my last one trained herself at just over 2), I thought it would never happen! I was near tears myself from the whole thing. And then, to get her to go #1 but totally freak at #2??

It will happen. And, taking those diapers/pullups out of your budget is SO nice. And, I agree, nice smelling scents in the bathroom will probably help.

Also, I'm not saying this is the case with your son - the whole drama thing, but it may be. Good luck. :hugs:

Sahmy
07-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Oh, and the way I got her to go in the first place?

I could tell when she needed to go #2. One day, I had just had it, I couldn't take it anymore. I told her to take off her underwear because I knew she was going to go and I told her she couldn't put on a pullup.

Now, a little background - this girl has spent 3/4 of her life in just diapers or her underwear. She will not stay dressed (at least when it is just the family at home). We walk in the door and she strips down. My mom comes over and asks me if I ever dress the child?! I can't stand it!!!!

So, she had NO problem walking around naked for hours. I was not happy but, oh well. If she had panicked, I would have put her in a pullup. But no, at one point, she ran to the bathroom and pooped! Then, the whole gagging thing started. But, even with the gagging, she refused to go back to pullups! We got through the smell thing. And, everything is good now. Until the next 3 year old thing. :)

jnorth1007
07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Funny thing is that he LOVES to wear his shorts with no underpants or diapers or pullups. When we are around the house I take some cotton pullon shorts and put them on with nothing underneath. He goes peepee on the toilet just fine when I do that. He still wont poop on the toilet or in his pants. He will hold it until he finally gets a pullup or diaper and then go.

Sahmy
07-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I knew it would come down to putting on a pullup or going on the potty and the potty won! She wouldn't have anything to do with pullups after that time so I knew we were through. Finally. Honestly, the other two were so much easier!