PDA

View Full Version : Please send good thoughts!

ChickiePants
07-14-2007, 11:31 PM
It may seem silly to post it here, but I am really hoping that there are some animal lovers among our numbers who can take the time out to send some good thoughts and prayers to my very sick kitty. She has hepatic lipidosis (http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=42&sid=2) and has been in and out of the hospital all week. Mostly in. Tomorrow she has to go back in for another treatment and it seems like she keeps taking two steps forward and three steps back. I am totally wiped out emotionally (not to even mention the $$ aspect) and am just hoping that she doesn't get to the point where she is suffering. Right now she is still feisty as long as she gets her IV fluids and Valium, but when those wear off she is very sick. There's a very distinct possibility that she will have to get a stomach tube put in this week, or be hospitalized again. At the very least she has to go to the hospital every day for her IV fluids and feedings. She gets to come home at night for me to take care of, but as I'm sure any of you with a sick kid know, it's not exactly a peaceful night. :(

Anyway, please, please, please send her some good thoughts and prayers. She is actually my boyfriend's cat and it was his birthday this week, so it's been a very stressful week for us all. Thank you in advance. I'm sure every little bit will help her. Here is a photo of her looking cute in my boyfriend's shirt!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1126/801122236_02a066349a_m.jpg

m 'n c
07-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh I'm so sorry your kitty is ill. Reading the link you put up makes it sound like it has a good chance of recovering so that is good. IVs in kitties are no fun. Before my cat passed he spent about a month on an iv drip 24 hours a day because he kept having ups and downs and the vet kept thinking we could pull him out of it. In the end we weren't able to but I remember the stress and emotions that went with a sick kitty.

I'm pulling for your little trooper that she'll pull through.

nolacindy
07-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Sending lots of good thoughts and love from me and my furbabys Leroy and Stitch. :hugs:

SunshineGirl
07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh, no! I'm so sorry. :(

arob414
07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm praying for your little kitty. We have 3 and would be lost without them. The oldest, 4, spent 2-3 wks at the local vet's and UT Knoxville's vet school. He had kidney stones and blew out a part of his urinary system. He is the $3500 cat, they "have the technology to rebuild this" cat, and they did. We had lots of discussions, at work, about how crazy I was to spend that kind of money, some were in my corner (he was my girls' Christmas gift) and others just shook their heads. My mom didn't even ask.

sunshinecindy
07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
I hate to hear that, but I can tell you that most of the cats I have seen with this have pulled through. Are you force feeding her? One little trick is to warm the food because cats have to smell something to eat it, and warming it produces a little more smell. Do you have any idea if the vets ran a bilirubin, and if they did, what the results were. If I can be of any help, or answer any questions for you on this, just PM me. I'm a surgical vet tech by trade.

m 'n c
07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
To go with the smelly food suggestion I bought some of the Whole Foods brand to feed my kitty when he was really sick and that was some smelly stuff. It also had a lot of vitamins and stuff in it which helps them get well. It was their 365 brand if you need to try it out. I know they can be picky little buggers when it comes to food.

Also children's pedisure is really good for giving them potassium and electrolytes. If he's getting dehydrated you might want to try that out when he's not on the iv.

ChickiePants
07-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, we have run a total of three TBils so far, and they've gone from 3.4 to 6.7 to 8.5, and tomorrow we will run another to see if the treatments we did this weekend will help any. One of the docs I work for also sent out a GGT to rule out any bile duct issues and confirmed that it is indeed hepatic lipidosis. I didn't want to do a liver biopsy, however, I thought it was kind of unnecessary. We are pretty sure she will pull through, though. I'm a vet tech myself, so as soon as I saw she was vomiting up bile and not eating we rushed her in. It just feels like two steps forward, three steps back, you know?

I've been doing her treatments at home during the evening so she will be less stressed out, but during the day she goes back up to the clinic and gets IV fluids and force feeding. We've been giving her IV Valium and Famotidine to stimulate her appetite and keep her from vomiting, respectively, but today neither seemed to help. The good news is that she's still sassy enough where we think she will be all right if we opt for placing a stomach tube; the other cat that recently had a similar issue did not survive after the surgery, but he was much too far gone when they got him to us. We are staying positive for her, though, and bought a little pillow that my BF and I sleep with at night so she will smell something familiar when she's at the clinic.

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and well wishes! I tell her everyone is pulling for her, and I think it helps. :heart:

sunshinecindy
07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Have you tried a B12 shot or cipro to rev up the appetite?

bbangel
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Any updates on how your furbaby is doing?

ChickiePants
07-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Thank you to everyone who has been thinking of Killian! She had her feeding tube put in yesterday and is doing fine so far. Today she had her 5th round of bloodwork and for the first time her liver values have decreased a little! She has been getting frequent liquid feedings and doesn't yet have an appetite for solid food, but she is acting a little peppier with her fluids.

To answer sunshinecindy's question - she has a CRI of B-complex in her Plasmalyte right now along with a Metoclopramide CRI to help with the constant nausea. The doc's going to lower her Metoclopramide tomorrow though and see if she vomits during the day, and if she doesn't we're going to try bringing her home again at night and going back to the clinic in the mornings for her feedings (since they'll likely be 4-6 times a day at the beginning and I live too far away from the clinic to run back and forth on a break or anything).

Things seem to be looking up for her right now! Today she had an ultrasound, and they removed her catheter from one leg and placed a new one in the other (the other one outlived its lifespan), so with her shaved belly, shaved neck and shaved front legs, she looks a bit like the Bionic Kitty! :D But we are all hoping for the best. Thank you so much to everyone who has been concerned about her. She is a little fighter and we hope to have her home with us soon! :sunshine:

SunshineGirl
07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm so glad to hear that she is doing better!!!

ChickiePants
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Killian came home today! She is finally starting to eat on her own, so that nutrition plus what she gets "down the tube" will start to carry her back to health! She still has to go to the clinic with me to have treatments, but for now she is doing great! She has become our clinic's mascot and has free run of our "consultation suite" so she can gaze out the window. I'm going to crochet her a tiny scarf to cover up her tube! :D Thanks to everyone who hoped and prayed for her, I KNOW it helped us all and I will keep you updated! :hugs:

sunshinecindy
07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I am so glad to hear that. You have done a wonderful job with her, I know it hasn't been easy.

zoodoyle
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
So glad to hear your kitty could come home :) We'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers and hope she continues to improve!! :hugs:

coastalgirl
07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
So glad to hear your little kitty is doing better!!

Lydia

arob414
07-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Glad to hear your baby is doing better!

m 'n c
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm glad she is better and perking up. Is the tube permanent?

ChickiePants
07-20-2007, 09:56 PM
No, she will only have the tube in for about two months at most. But she recently started eating on her own (Fancy Feast - the potato chips of the cat food world!) and even sipping a little water, so we have high hopes. She did have to go back to the hospital yesterday though, because her tube got blocked. Now she's staying over for the weekend because Mommy has to get some much needed rest after sort of collapsing at work. She's feeling good though! They give her the run of our "Grief Room" as long as no one needs it, and she gets to stay in a big dog run at night so she's more comfy. Here's a new little picture of her with her "bodysuit" and tube (it's the orange thing sticking out the arm hole). :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1306/861082907_a2948962a3_m.jpg

If you want to see more photos of her, you can see them on my flickr site, but do keep in mind that she's been really sick, so she might look a little sad in some of them. Nothing gross or gory though, I promise!
Killian's Hospital Stay (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wholelottanothing/sets/72157600930862805/)

Her bloodwork is better and she's eating now, though, so hopefully she will be home again (at least at night) for good!

ChickiePants
07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
For those of you who were keeping up with Killian's health, here is an update! She is eating exclusively on her own right now and her bloodwork is much, much improved - for those of you in "the profession," her bilirubin went down from 13.5 to 2.5! :sunshine: Here's a new photo of her wearing a t-shirt over her tube. Isn't she just the cutest thing in the world? :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/899800799_f35a8984e3_m.jpg

Thanks again for all of your prayers and thoughts! I know for sure they helped her get better! :heart:

sunshinecindy
07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Oh, that is wonderful. I am so glad to hear she is doing well. I knew you would do it. She has a wonderful mom and vet to take care of her, and thats 90% of the battle.