PDA

View Full Version : lice advice needed

lorisnuts
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
We went to our church picnic on sunday. only to be told on Monday morning that 2 kids in my dd7 class had lice. DD is to go to grandma's house for a few days. I just don't want to spread the bugs around. How long does it take for them to show up once you are exposed to it. any advice on preventive treatments would also be very helpful. this is my first experience with this.

thanks
Lori

SunshineGirl
07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh, boy. Not fun. I actually read a thread somewhere that said you should cover the kids' heads in mayo and plastic to kill any chance that the little buggers have.

lorisnuts
07-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I was told by someone who went thru this already to cover her head in suave coconut conditioner cover with plastic and let sit for upto an hour. then comb thru. the little bugs don't like the smell and slide right off. ohhh i hope this works.

She isn't itching yet. but OOHHH how my head itchs just thinking about it.

Candi
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Tea Tree Oil kills them. You can buy shampoo with it in it or add a few drops to your normal shampoo. They would be there right away.

chocovrdmicears
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
be sure to clean all her hairbrushes, any hats she may have worn and all the pillows and bedding too...
we got a letter from my dd's school this past year but fortunately we didn't get any of the little critters.

bbangel
07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Anything you can't wash, put in plastic bags and put them in the freezer over night.

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 09:14 AM
be sure to clean all her hairbrushes, any hats she may have worn and all the pillows and bedding too...
we got a letter from my dd's school this past year but fortunately we didn't get any of the little critters.

Don't forget stuffed animals...ANYTHING PLUSH!!!!

Anything you can't wash, put in plastic bags and put them in the freezer over night.

We've always been told to store them a week...never heard about the freezer...

lorisnuts
07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
thanks for all the advice. dd didn't end up getting lice but a couple of other kids did.