PDA

View Full Version : Any other Harry Potter fans out there?

dreamer13079
07-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Okay, so is there anyone else out there that is just as excited as I am for the new book to come out? A lot of the people at work think that I am crazy for even reading the books much less getting excited about the release of the LAST BOOK!! :)

sammielynn
07-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I have my entire Saturday planned. Gotta see what happends to Harry and friends! I started rereading the entire series a few months ago to get ready. I didn't really care for the 5th movie, they left to many things out. I have read the two people die in the 7th book, who do you think???

LuvMyBoys
07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm excited too!!! I can't wait for the book on Saturday (we will be watching for our delivery like hawks!!) :) I wonder who dies in the last book, but what I really want to know is if Snape was truly evil or not and if Dumbledore knew the truth about Snape.

I think Snape was evil but that Dumbledore knew it and had his reasons. What do you think?

apettyjohn
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I am dying to go get mine Friday after midnight but I'll have my two plus a bff of dds10.I think Snape is really good and Dumbldore new the potion he drunk would kill him so Snape "killing" him didn't matter.I can't wait. With dd havinga friend for the weekend, it will help distract them so I can READ!!!!! April

faithhope
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
we've done the past 3 as family read alouds. It is hard to resist the temptation to read ahead ... but it is so fun to discuss two chapters a day and talk about what happened...and what will happen...

so please no unmarked spoilers since I will be reading this slowly...

I can't believe it is the last one.:cry:

Faith

dreamer13079
07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I still need to see the fifth movie. The movies are good but I don't await their release quite like I do for the books. I think that Snape is really one of the good guys. As for who is going to die... I think that Voldemort and Harry will die. They are linked somehow and I can't figure out how one would die without the other dying. I guess we'll see. I can't wait to read it!

LuvMyBoys
07-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Posted by Dreamer13079......I still need to see the fifth movie. The movies are good but I don't await their release quite like I do for the books.

I'm not in a big rush to see the 5th movie either, it seems like the movies have been less appealing to me as they have progressed. Plus, the 5th book is so dark and unhappy. :( There are a few light moments in it, but not the same feelings of hope and happiness that you had in the first 4 books.

I also don't know if the 5th movie would appeal to kids under 11, it looks pretty scary with all of the death eaters and Voldemort. :confused: I think I will wait until it comes out on video.

BTW, I love your signature.....the kids have good taste :)

faithhope
07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm probably in the minority here... but the 5th book was my least favorite... I really didn't enjoy reading it... it had a few good bits... but over all I was disappointed in it...

Of course the movie left out bits from the book (how could it not...the book is sooooo long)... but I enjoyed the movie more than the book.

Since my girls have read/listened to the book...we broke our PG-13 rule, and took them (6&10)... I still don't know why it was PG-13....The second one and the fourth one are worse than this movie in the nightmares-for-kids dept I think.

Faith

LuvMyBoys
07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree with you, the 5th book was my least favorite too. I think I've only read that one twice, usually I read them each at least 4 times :)

kimntrent
07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
oh yes we are huge fans.
________
Ametuer Xxx (http://www.****tube.com/)

wdwabby
07-18-2007, 01:51 PM
oh yes, I absolutely am!

unfortunately haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but my copy of the 7th book is on reserve and I've been avoiding my HP online communities like the plague because I DON'T want spoilers!

Hedy
07-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but me getting the 7th book is becoming a problem-I'm going to be in NYC (where everyone knows there are no bookstores :rotfl: ) and am, trying to find the nearest bookstore-I'm figuring either our hotel or someplace nearby will have it for sale, but I'm still obessively locaing Barnes and Nobles just in case.

coastalgirl
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
We love Harry at our house! My oldest ds is 17 and reads the books. I read them with my youngest son. Mostly because I feel that some of the things are a little over his head!! I actually have a date with the boys to go to dinner and then off to HP!!!

Kycha
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not in a big rush to see the 5th movie either, it seems like the movies have been less appealing to me as they have progressed. Plus, the 5th book is so dark and unhappy. :( There are a few light moments in it, but not the same feelings of hope and happiness that you had in the first 4 books.

I also don't know if the 5th movie would appeal to kids under 11, it looks pretty scary with all of the death eaters and Voldemort. :confused: I think I will wait until it comes out on video.

BTW, I love your signature.....the kids have good taste :)

Huge Harry Potter fan here! I agree with you about book 5. Harry was so angry during this book(understandable, considering the whole Voldermort controlling his mind thing) and the ending with Sirius. The movie is even more dark than the book. At least in the book there were a few happy moments. There were none at all in the movie.

LuvMyBoys
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Kycha Huge Harry Potter fan here! I agree with you about book 5. Harry was so angry during this book(understandable, considering the whole Voldermort controlling his mind thing) and the ending with Sirius. The movie is even more dark than the book. At least in the book there were a few happy moments. There were none at all in the movie.

Yuck, that doesn't sound promising at all. I also didn't like what I saw from the previews, especially the casting of Umbridge - come on!! The woman is supposed to look like a big ol' frog, not a good choice in casting at all. :(

Kycha
07-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Yuck, that doesn't sound promising at all. I also didn't like what I saw from the previews, especially the casting of Umbridge - come on!! The woman is supposed to look like a big ol' frog, not a good choice in casting at all. :(

I don't know. I thought they did a great job with Umbridge. She looks exactly like the artwork in the book. And she definitely got her character right. From her girlish speech to the giggle to her nasty streak. I think that was one of the things the film makers got right.

LuvMyBoys
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't know. I thought they did a great job with Umbridge. She looks exactly like the artwork in the book. And she definitely got her character right. From her girlish speech to the giggle to her nasty streak. I think that was one of the things the film makers got right.

I don't read the ones with artwork, so I have a very specific picture in my head. That doesn't work out so well most of the time. :) I just pictured someone more unattractive, with a very large double chin :rotfl:

TXMouseChaser
07-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Huge Potter fan.. I am being careful what I read about the last book because there are so many spoilers out there. I might have to just stick to SR and my e-mail unitl I get the book on Saturday! :rotfl:

LuvMyBoys
07-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Tomorrow is finally the big day!!! I can't wait for the delivery, my husband and I are going to be fighting over who gets to start it first :)

We usually end up swapping the book back and forth for the first few chapters. Then as soon as it's bed time my husband grabs it and pulls an all-nighter :rotfl:

dreamer13079
07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Working midnights finally has a bonus! :) I'm going to get the book on my lunch break and then read all night and get paid for it. :) I can't wait to see what happens.

LuvMyBoys
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Working midnights finally has a bonus! :) I'm going to get the book on my lunch break and then read all night and get paid for it. :) I can't wait to see what happens.

Yeah, getting to read the book at work would be a huge bonus, LUCKY!! :)

Kycha
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
This book release is so bittersweet. I am so excited that the book is finally being released, but totally depressed that it is the last one. I would really like to take my time reading this one because it is the end. But, with all the hype I am afraid I am going to stumble upon spoilers somewhere. So, I will probably have a marathon reading session tonight. We are going to the midnight book release at Barnes and Noble.

LuvMyBoys
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
This book release is so bittersweet. I am so excited that the book is finally being released, but totally depressed that it is the last one. I would really like to take my time reading this one because it is the end. But, with all the hype I am afraid I am going to stumble upon spoilers somewhere. So, I will probably have a marathon reading session tonight. We are going to the midnight book release at Barnes and Noble.

We did the midnight release thing at Barnes and Noble too when book 5 came out. We just could NOT wait until the next day. We had to stand in line with our color coded ticket for like an hour.

This time we're not in such a rush, b/c like you said, it's the last one so we want to savor it. And I don't want to wake up to my husband sitting on the couch in a coma b/c he was trying to read the whole thing overnight :rotfl:

beccabee
07-20-2007, 02:38 PM

I totally agree. I loved finishing each book knowing that there would be another one. Have fun reading tonight. I'll be at Costco first thing tomorrow morning.

saikai
07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Just under four hours to go!! We're off to the Barnes and Noble party, Happy reading everyone. :love:

LuvMyBoys
07-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Has everyone finished the book by now?? I finished mine last night (not so easy to get the time to do it with work and the kids!).

I will not say anything that would be a "spoiler" but I want to hear other people's reactions to the book. :)

I LOVED the book!!! I laughed, I cried, my heart soared with pride :love: I thought it was wonderful, a great end to the series. :)

What did you all think?

saikai
07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I finished it I finished it Sunday and I loved it too. I'm not sure about the eiploge though, didn't seem right to me somehow.

LuvMyBoys
07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I finished it I finished it Sunday and I loved it too. I'm not sure about the eiploge though, didn't seem right to me somehow.

I will agree that the epilogue did seem a little too perfect and a bit unbelievable. But I was glad she included it, I would have been disappointed if it wasn't there. I always want to know "what next??" :)

Hedy
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
I will agree that the epilogue did seem a little too perfect and a bit unbelievable. But I was glad she included it, I would have been disappointed if it wasn't there. I always want to know "what next??" :)

Did anyone else feel like the epilogue was a painful set up to a new series featuring [offspring]?

saikai
07-24-2007, 10:54 AM
My kids and I had that conversation last night! :rotfl: I can definatley see a series about their kids in the future! I've got mixed feelings on that one.

LuvMyBoys
07-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Did anyone else feel like the epilogue was a painful set up to a new series featuring [offspring]?

Hmm..I didn't think about it like that. I figured it was just her way of buttoning the whole thing up. Answering all of the questions and putting the series to rest. :)

I felt satisfied by the last book, I didn't feel like there needs to be more. I will anxiously await this last movie though, if it stays true to the book then it will be a great film. :)

sammielynn
07-24-2007, 11:00 AM

I agree. It did not answer all my questions??? It did seem to leave the door open to something else.

wdwabby
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
The epilogue to me just felt really thrown together, very rushed.

other than that I really enjoyed the book.

saikai
07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
The epilogue to me just felt really thrown together, very rushed.

other than that I really enjoyed the book.

I agree, it felt like she was trying to appease people who were angry that Harry might die.

sammielynn
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
On the Today show JK said that she might write a Harry Potter encyclopedia that would give more background information and what they are doing now kink of stuff. She also said that Arthur W. was suppose to die in book 5 but she just could not kill him.

SoonerGirl
07-27-2007, 08:58 PM
I agree that the epilogue didn't feel right. It just didn't seem like the same style as the other books. I loved the book but I definitely still want more.

Magical JenK
08-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, I know I'm more than 1 month behind all of you, but I've been avoiding this thread until I finished & I just finished about 2 hours ago. I've been avoiding anyone who would even mention anything about #7. #6 was spoiled for me about 1/2 way through the book & I was so sad I knew what was going to happen.

Anyway, I really am quite happy with this book. I thought during #5 & #6 nothing happened until the last 100 pgs! #7 so full of action right from the beginning! I really wanted a happily ever after ending so I was pleased with the whole thing.

Although, I really didn't want to believe Hedwig or Fred died. I read the epilogue twice because I needed to figure out each of the kids...I guess I read it too fast the first time! (Anyone know if Rose & Hugo's names are meaningful like Harry's kids' names?) I also had to read the end w/Harry & Voldermort & the explination of the wand twice. I was kinda lost there.

I'd love to see an encyclopedia on HP because I hope it would follow up with some of the characters like Luna & the Weasleys & Kreacher.....

Sorry if I'm going on & on...I'm just happy on how it ended...I may be one of the only ones!! :0)

I started the series quite a few years after they came out & then didn't read 5 or 6 until this past July when I knew 7 would be out & spoilers would be close behind. I'd like to go back and read them all again. They are so good. But I'm going to miss the new adventures of Harry & friends!!

saikai
08-31-2007, 11:00 PM
When I got the book I raced through it! After the initial read I had to read it again just to absorb some of the things I missed/didn't understand. It is really good and I too look forward to the encyclopedia.

faithhope
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
I love listening to the audio version of the books (Jim Dale does a great job) after I've read the book, to get a chance to go through the story and pick up on clues or just things I missed the first time around.

I liked the 7th book... but I'm sad it is all over.

Faith

saikai
09-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I agree. After I finished reading it I went through a mourning period, it hit my son really hard as well. :(

ligrumpygirl
09-01-2007, 09:26 AM
How did I miss this thread??

I LOVED the last book. I read it in about two days...couldn't put it down! DH was so good about letting me do it - took the house and kids for me!

I loved every second of it. I also read the books too fast but I made myself slow down this time. I read things over again to make sure I go it.

I too wondered about the meaning of the other children but I haven't been able to think of anything.

I am going to back to school this week and will have a long discussion with the librarian!

kimkarli
09-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I also loved the last book! I have read it twice so far. I am anxious to see the movie as well. As much as I love Disney, I think I will have to go to US to go to the new Harry Potter park when it opens! My DD7 wants to be Hermione for Halloween.

ligrumpygirl
09-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I also loved the last book! I have read it twice so far. I am anxious to see the movie as well. As much as I love Disney, I think I will have to go to US to go to the new Harry Potter park when it opens! My DD7 wants to be Hermione for Halloween.

DH is soooo happy about HP going to US...he knows that is the only way he will get me there!

kerry34
09-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I really enjoyed the last book as well. There was a few moments towards the end that I almost had to put it down because it was driving me crazy waiting to find out what was going to happen. I dont think there was one boring moment in the book. The only thing I wished was that the prologue was longer. I wish she had told more about what happened to some of the other characters in the books like Luna Lovegood. In any case, I plan on reading it again over the winter because I know that I read so fast that I must have missed something along the way. Besides that is the only fix until the next movie comes out.

Sunni
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I am a Harry Potter fan also. Every summer I read the series and have always looked forward to the next new book. It's part of my summer tradition of being out of school. I also wished that we had learned a little more about the other characters and their adult lives. Like what are their jobs and what they are doing?

bs4free
09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I like the Audio books, I like to read the English versions not the american versions, I like the Movies, and have yet to finish reading the series, I have read the first 4 books and seen all the movies todate! Need to find some time to read the rest! I do like it and enjoy when i can spend hour and hours reading it it and can be hard to put down!

Magical JenK
09-19-2007, 11:37 PM
How different are the English versions than the American versions?