PDA

View Full Version : Last night's fiasco

SunshineGuy
07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I am talking to our hosting company about our current configuration. It seems last night there was an abnormal amount of traffic. still hard to say whether it was a coordianated denial of service or not though things seem to point that way. :computer:

First - all your referral banners that show your earnings will check the server load before they try to calculate it. If the server seems too busy, a default "$$$" will appear in your banner. The banner will still work when clicked, i just skip the calculation if the server is busy. If the server is way over busy, the banner images will automatically turn themselves off (and back on when they can). This should help offload some calculation processing and keep the site a little more responsive.

Second - I am going to try to work out a better solution for these banners (either put the banners on another server or maybe just calculate the earnings a couple times a day rather than try to do it in real time). Right now, banner earnings are calculated in real time which can make things a little busy.

THought I would let you know if you see the banners acting differently.

I am also working with the hosting company to and lean on them to tune things a little better.

Hedy
07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your hard work and keeping us posted.

disneynut
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all your work. Keep up the good work. :sunshine:

minigirl
07-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for you hard work. I don't even have a banner, but I still appreciate it.

I just wanted to say that while you may call last night a fiasco, I had a great time here on the forum. it was a lot of fun.

Cursal
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
SunshineGuy,

Maybe do away with the banners, and the bandwidth they use, and have the amount earned show up under the user's name in a post or up in the PM box area under Welcome:NAMEHERE (in upper right hand corner).

I have seen other forums use these tactics as they grow and dealt with load issues. Just thinking out loud...:)

SunshineGuy
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
SunshineGuy,

Maybe do away with the banners, and the bandwidth they use, and have the amount earned show up under the user's name in a post or up in the PM box area under Welcome:NAMEHERE (in upper right hand corner).

I have seen other forums use these tactics as they grow and dealt with load issues. Just thinking out loud...:)

that is a good idea for this forum, but we also encourage users to post their earnings banners on their own websites/blogs too.

SunshineGirl
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
How much do those earnings eat away at the server? Is that kind of thing a really big thing that could be causing our problem or just something to think about?

mollyeilis
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I am talking to our hosting company about our current configuration. It seems last night there was an abnormal amount of traffic. still hard to say whether it was a coordianated denial of service or not though things seem to point that way. :computer:

Wow, that's kind of scary, and brings to mind conspiracy theories of who might want to do such a thing, especially on such an occasion! :confused:

chocovrdmicears
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
:) Thanks for the update...but truthfully ....

I thought last nights "fiasco" was a blast! :banana: :banana:

you better warn your hosting company..if they think last nights traffic was crazy, wait until the big cashout next week when we Sunshiners really come out !!!! :eek:

wdwabby
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
we could just disallow the banners here in the group if they're that much of a drain. They're really supposed to be for promoting our :heart: of SR - and obviously the people around here already get it! Don't allow them in siggies and make it clear that you're allowed to place them elsewhere.

*shrug*

I dunno

sammielynn
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
What ever works best is fine with me. I also thought that last night was fun. I didn't get much done at home but it was fun.