PDA

View Full Version : Special Disney Cashout..opinions please!!

Kycha
07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Okay, I know the special cashout is quickly approaching. I currently have about $200 I can use towards the cashout. Problem is, I don't have any Disney trips scheduled. And it probably won't be until 2009 before we can get back. We will probably do a Disney cruise in 2009. Can I use the gc as payment on the cruise? Do the gc's have an expiration? Should I cashout for a gc that I have no plans to use anytime soon? Should I wait for the next special cashout?

BTW, Where do you all keep your GC's so they don't get misplaced or lost?

I really don't have any plans for the money I earn on SR. I guess a $200 Disney gc should motivate me to start planning out next trip.

Help, I don't know what to do!!

TIA
Kycha

LuvMyBoys
07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't think I would cash out for a Disney GC if I wasn't going to use it for 2 years, just my opinion.

I use the GC's for payment on my Disney reservation, so I don't see why you couldn't use them towards paying on a Disney cruise. I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

I would get other gift cards that I could use in the next few months, like for Christmas shopping! :)

bluefuzzy
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Yes, you can use gc to pay for your cruise. Then when you pay it off, you can add the gc towards your ship credits to pay for things like excursions, tips, and other incidentals.

I keep all my gc in an old cigar box my dh gave me when we first met. I've been meaning to find a cute cookie jar.

m 'n c
07-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Well they don't expire so if you know you want to use your earnings on a disney vacation get the gc's when they are on "special". I'm going in fall 2008 and I've been cashing out for months for disney gc's to pay for the trip.

I keep mine in an old sorority mug from college. My school was big on "party cups" aka insulated mugs painted with paint pens based on the theme of the event.

wilsonfamily4
07-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I also am going in January of 2009 and I have been collecting Disney money. i have envelopes for each thing I need to earn for and as I get the Disney dollars or cards I out them in the envelopes. I have a Disney bin under the bed so I know where they are all. I don't have enough fo rthe cash out right now, as I want the 200 cashout, so I will wait for the next one. But if I had 200 I would cash out now.

Mom2aPrincess
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure if I would cash out or not being that far away. Tricia has special cash outs often enough I'd be confident I would get some closer to when you plan to book it.

As far as storage, I have one of those coupon accordian file looking holders, that I store gift cards and our Disney Dollars in.

Kycha
07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes, you can use gc to pay for your cruise. Then when you pay it off, you can add the gc towards your ship credits to pay for things like excursions, tips, and other incidentals.

I keep all my gc in an old cigar box my dh gave me when we first met. I've been meaning to find a cute cookie jar.

Great! I now have a goal for my SR earnings. Now I just need to decide which week to cruise in 09. Do they even have the price list out for 09 yet??? Have you done a Disney cruise? Do you have any suggestions for the best time of year or East vs West Caribbean? We would definitely want a 7 day.

Now I just have to figure out where to store my GC's. I could put them in my Passporter. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! They were very helpful!

beccabee
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
I would definately get the gc's and save them for the cruise. If you are cruising in 2009 you would want to book the cruise as soon as the dates opened up to get the best rate. If you did this you could use the gc's to pay the deposit on the cruise. They may release some of the 2009 dates this year and definately by early 2008 so you would not have to hold the gc's for that long.
I agree with you that having the gc's will motivate you to start planning your :mickey: trip. That's a good thing!

beccabee
07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Great! I now have a goal for my SR earnings. Now I just need to decide which week to cruise in 09. Do they even have the price list out for 09 yet??? Have you done a Disney cruise? Do you have any suggestions for the best time of year or East vs West Caribbean? We would definitely want a 7 day.

Now I just have to figure out where to store my GC's. I could put them in my Passporter. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! They were very helpful!

We were posting at the same time.
We took our first cruise in March 2007. We did the 7-day eastern and loved it. We loved the 3 sea days to enjoy the ship. The weather was a bit cool in Florida but once we were sailing it was sunny, calm and gorgeous. I know people sail in the fall for great rates but I'd worry too much about hurricanes. The summer months might be too hot as well. I would go again in the spring. The dates/prices are not out for 2009.
Most of the 2008 dates (Arpil-Dec I think) were released on 1/31/07. We booked a 7-day cruise (Mexico) the first day and prices for our cruise have gone up over $1000 so far. Let me know if you have any other ?'s. It's so fun to plan and dream about future trips...:)

Kycha
07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks beccabee! I was thinking the week after Thanksgiving. I am pretty sure that is outside of hurricane season. And the temps should be good. I am so excited now! When is your Mexican cruise? That sounds fantastic. I have never been to the Caribbean, so I am looking forward to that. I will let you know if we decide East or West. Did you do any excursions on your 7 day eastern?

beccabee
07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
That should be a great time to go. We traveled with my daughters who were 4 and 9 and we didn't do any excursions. I'm not a big shopper either so we just did beach days. I had not been to the caribbean before. The beaches were so nice and the water so warm. We relaxed, swam, snorkeled. It was the best vacation.
We're going on the Mexican cruise May 25th. I cannot wait to be back on the Magic. Just writing this has got me daydreaming...