PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

marcymajor
09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
i am not what you would call computer savvy but what is really odd is that i did 2 offers today and both of them credited (one at 4 and the other at 5) and one of them was one i had done b4 and not gotten credit for. my question is if you take down the firewall on your computer (my husband did that today as we were having problems with microsft) does that help in getting offers to credit? if my question seems stupid i apologize but it just seems weird that when the firewall is up i don't get the big offers but without it i got 2 today for $1.50 each. any guidance you can give me on this issue would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

askomsky
09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
i am not what you would call computer savvy but what is really odd is that i did 2 offers today and both of them credited (one at 4 and the other at 5) and one of them was one i had done b4 and not gotten credit for. my question is if you take down the firewall on your computer (my husband did that today as we were having problems with microsft) does that help in getting offers to credit? if my question seems stupid i apologize but it just seems weird that when the firewall is up i don't get the big offers but without it i got 2 today for $1.50 each. any guidance you can give me on this issue would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Yes. We somehow had 2 different co's firewall's on our downstairs PC and once we removed the one I had better luck downstairs. Yes your firewall settings will stop things from coming through like the appropriate cookies. You need to change those settings also.

marcymajor
09-05-2008, 06:24 AM
:thanks: my cookies are already set to advanced so as to accept all 1st and 3rd party cookies, override automatic cookie handling and always allow session cookies. is this what it is suppose to be?:confused:

sunshinecindy
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
:thanks: my cookies are already set to advanced so as to accept all 1st and 3rd party cookies, override automatic cookie handling and always allow session cookies. is this what it is suppose to be?:confused:

Yes, good job.

marcymajor
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
:thanks: one more thing - is it better to have the firewall installed or uninstalled (i know one other person says it is better to have uninstalled but i just want to make sure) to have offers work better?:confused:

m 'n c
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Well you should have a firewall installed for regular web surfing. What you need to do though is figure out if the settings in it is conflicting with your internet browser setting. Some people have reported success disabling the firewall to do a few offers and then when they are done re-enabling it to keep their protection up.

marcymajor
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
:thanks: for the info. i spoke to dh about this and he said that his firewall was uninstalled not mine but this morning it was re-installed and not by him. the only way that my firewall could be uninstalled is for him to do it as he is the administrator and can do things like that on computers not me. does that make any sense?:confused:

dbmiller02
09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I have a question as well. Does your pop-up blocker have any influence? I have my cookie settings all set correctly and I am still having a lot of trouble with offers crediting. I see other people talking about offers that credited for them easily and mine have been sitting in pending for weeks:confused:

m 'n c
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I have a question as well. Does your pop-up blocker have any influence? I have my cookie settings all set correctly and I am still having a lot of trouble with offers crediting. I see other people talking about offers that credited for them easily and mine have been sitting in pending for weeks:confused:

yup. you need to disable your pop-up blocker when doing offers. If they can't pop windows up on you they can't track you and give you credit.

m 'n c
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
:thanks: for the info. i spoke to dh about this and he said that his firewall was uninstalled not mine but this morning it was re-installed and not by him. the only way that my firewall could be uninstalled is for him to do it as he is the administrator and can do things like that on computers not me. does that make any sense?:confused:

Color me confused. It was disabled and then enabled this morning. Is that the case?

marcymajor
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
yeah - that's what he told me. you wanna talk about confused - how does that sort of thing happen?:confused:

dbmiller02
09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks m'nc! I have disabled it. I wonder if it is just too late for some of the other offers. Maybe they will still find me out in cyberspace and give me credit. Anyone else have old offers credit after changing a setting at a later date?

m 'n c
09-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks m'nc! I have disabled it. I wonder if it is just too late for some of the other offers. Maybe they will still find me out in cyberspace and give me credit. Anyone else have old offers credit after changing a setting at a later date?

Probably won't happen this time around but I bet when you retry them after the 30 day wait period you will get them. Just try some of the other ones and see what happens.

m 'n c
09-05-2008, 02:25 PM
yeah - that's what he told me. you wanna talk about confused - how does that sort of thing happen?:confused:

Only thing I can think of is if you shut down and rebooted today. Wish I could help more but when I quit my tech support job 5 years ago I did a brain dump and forgot all that I could :rotfl:

mommommouse
09-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try everything right now. Hopefully it will work for me too.
Debbie

mommommouse
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
i TOOK OFF MY FIREWALL BUT IT DIDN;T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.