PDA

View Full Version : New Mom Club

jenvance
09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
So newest dd is almost 4 weeks old. She is starving between 3 and 9 at night, She wants to eat three times between that time period. So tell me, on the average how many ounces does a four week old eat, and how often? She cries like she is starving, but I also don't want to overfeed her either.:thanks:

arob414
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
So newest dd is almost 4 weeks old. She is starving between 3 and 9 at night, She wants to eat three times between that time period. So tell me, on the average how many ounces does a four week old eat, and how often? She cries like she is starving, but I also don't want to overfeed her either.:thanks:
I breast fed but based upon my Nsy experience, my sister's kids and off the top of my head, I think anywhere from 3-5 ounces every 3 or so hours. The kids leaving the Nsy are taking up to 2 oz every 3 hours and some will take 3 but that is a little much for their age. If she is crying to eat more often (like every 1-2 hours) it may just be evening blues. The kids in the nsy tend to get fussier as the day goes by, I think it is because they are getting tired and when they get tired they want to nurse/eat or just suck their pacifiers more kind of for comfort. Just like we (not me, :rolleyes:) eat for comfort when we are stressed.

mia214jia
09-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Its hard to say an average I would think. I have known several other babies to have eaten up to 6 oz. at that age. But there were longer intervals inbetween feedings. Have you tried water?
Or you can start a log ... day, time, oz and how long it took to eat?
IE Do a few days of feeding on way, Whatever you are doing now.
And then do a few days with increased amount the same way.
Make notes and compare her personality. I believe that will give you a little direction.
HTH :sunshine:

PS I more coupons, I will get them out on Monday. :)

missymouse
09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Have you tried pumping to see how much milk you are producing? With my second child I would nurse him for 30-40 min. on each side and an hour later he would be fussing again. I finally tried pumping and only managed to get an ounce of both breasts. We figure he was starving to death. So then I started nursing him, then offering him formula of 2-4 ounces after each session and that spread him out the the more normal 3 hours. He was a very big baby so I only ended up nursing at all for about 4-6 weeks because once he discovered the bottle that was his preference.

Oops Thought you said you were nursing. At 4 weeks my son was up to 6-7 ounces or so of formula every 2-3 hours.

askomsky
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I used to "tank" my kids up from 5-9/10 pm at night at that age. Mine woudl try to fall asleep after 8 ish or so and i would wake them up and feed them again (nursing) until 9/10 and usually was able to get anywhere from 4-6/8 hrs a night from them. I fed on demand, I fully believe a baby will stop when their full and have had enough.

Another thing to keep in mind is she's right about the first growth spurt age too.

linanglab
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
When my oldest ate (I only nursed him for 3 weeks) he was eating 6-8 ounces of formula every 2-3 hours at 4 weeks. He was a HUGE eater. By the time he was 8 weeks, I was mixing a tad of cereal in his evening bottle - no flaming please....it worked well for us, and it was suggested by our doctor since he was eating SOOO much.

Then when I nursed Bethany ( I nursed her for 9 months)- and believe me, I had a TON of milk in me, she nursed every 1 1/2 - 2 hours for the first 3-4 months. VERY exhausting! But she only nursed on 1 side for about 5 minutes. I usually choked her with my outpouring milk! She was so tiny that I think she could only hold so much.

I think as long as your little one is gaining weight appropriately, and is not starving all day, that you should be fine. We all have our hungry moment during the day. That just might be your baby's hungry time.

LuvMyBoys
09-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Jen, sounds like she may be hitting a growth spurt! :)

Our little one hit one too right about 1 month, she wanted to eat all the time. She is nursing and I pump during the day so DH gives her bottles and she was up to about 2.5 to 3 ounces at that point. But she eats every 2 hours.

Also you know if she's really hungry if she's taking that bottle down. If she's just eating a bit and then fussing or goofing around, then she might be over-stimulated instead.

Our baby girl has had quite the issues with over-stimulation and the time from 7pm-9pm always seems like the time it's the worst.

Good luck figuring it out, isn't it great how they are all so different?? :rotfl:

Blessing and Miracle
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I've had six children and they all ate liked they were starving. They would wake up every two hours which meant we were up every two hours feeding them.:( Even when I started giving them a little cereal, they would still wake up every two hours like clock work. All I can tell ya' is you better be glad you're dealing with one baby and not two. I couldn't wait until Miracle and Blessing stopped bottle feedings.

Hang in there. It will get better. :)

lanny76
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi - been gone a few days and just looking thru some threads that are new to me, even if they've been around a few days.
Hope you've got some answers for your question already, but of course, I have my 2 cents!!
I nurse, which I know you don't, but anyway, what some nurses have told me is that typically babies need at least 2-3 oz per pound of body weight per day at this age anyway- so bigger babies do need more than smaller, generally. And, of course, their stomachs aren't very big and can't hold much at a time, so they eat often, too, for that reason.
Also, I know sometimes nursing babies do cluster feeding - which is basically eating a lot on a short time period and then going a while before eating again. Maybe bottle fed babies can have a similar tendency.
All I know is that my 3 wk old LOVES to eat, and does this stocking up thing too between 7-10 in the evening. It feels like I am a milk machine sometimes! But I am not really complaining because then she sleeps 4-5 hours, which is great. She is also gaining a little faster than average. I go to a nursing supprt group each week, so I get to weigh her and see how much she's gained each week, which is fun.
Also, I don't think I produce a ton of milk, so that is another reason my babies have all been in the habit of eating often. Maybe I have a little more milk this time and that is why she sleeps better at night than the boys did for a long time. Who knows - each one is different!
Hope it is going well for you all!