PDA

View Full Version : Very bummed right now

disneyforever
09-11-2008, 09:42 AM
This is kind of long... sorry... but I need to vent.

I haven't been online in forever. Life has been crazy. Right now DH and I should be in WDW - but we're not. :cry:

So here is my life story for the past couple weeks.

As I posted a while back we were interviewing/hiring a couple new employees because we had one quit on us without notice. Well about 4-5 weeks ago our employee supervisor (Mandy) came to us and said she didn't want to work full time while we were gone on vacation. I said fine, we would hire an extra person and cut her hours back. We hired someone, got them trained, then Mandy complained because she didn't have enough money to pay her rent and wanted to go back to full time. So we sat down and talked with her and told her we needed a guarantee that she would work while we were on vacation. "No problem" she says. "I really need the money. I promise" Over and over for the last couple weeks she assured us she would work. Mandy told all our other employees the same thing. We met with her and Joenne (another long time employee) on Thursday, Sept 4th to go over all details. She and Joenne assured us things would be fine, not to worry, have a great time, ect.

Well on Friday (4 days before leaving) we gave all the employees their schedules for while we were at WDW. I make sure there are no problems, or questions, ect... everyone is fine with amount of hours, days off, ect. On Saturday evening we get a call from Mandy (3 days before leaving) who says, "I quit and I want my final check by tomorrow." :mad: :eek: I seriously thought she was joking for a moment. Then I realized she was actually very serious. So DH asks her why. Her response was "I decided I don't want the responsibility of supervising anymore. I don't want to do the job anymore."

Now it's not like this is the first time she has been in charge. She has done this several times before - with no problems. DH asks her if she has another job. Mandy says no, that she is going to mooch off her roommate and parents until she gets a new one. "It's time I look after number one!" We were stunned to say the least. And we don't have enough employees for all the coverage we need to fill the spots she left open. Tried calling in old ex-employees but no one could help. So we had to give up the trip. :cry:

Now, I know it is a bad storm,(and I pray everyone stays safe) but there is some good to Ike. I had to see what I could do to salvage some of our money we spent on airfare, ect. I called United Airlines and they said that due to the remains of tropical Storm Hanna and the new hurricane Ike, I could change my tickets for no penalty fee (normally a $150 per person charge). I moved the tickets forward to early February (DH birthday). So we didn't lose any money regarding our air tickets.

We had traded our timeshare points into Disney's timeshare (OKW). Unfortunately, since we didn't give them a 7-day advance warning, we are going to lose the 10,000 points + the $139 exchange fee we had to pay Disney. We are also out the money for the 2 MNSSHP tickets. :cry: Tomorrow I have to call and cancel my Boma and Tony's adr's.

I cried earlier today when DH wasn't home (didn't want to depress him anymore). We just needed this trip so much, to get away and decompress. We have been working 90+ hour work weeks and dealing with DH's mother (another long story I won't bore you with). I know we are going to WDW in early December, but there are going to be friends and family along on that trip. This was just the two of us, to reconnect, and share our love of Disney too.

Anyways, I am sorry this is such a downer. I just needed to let it out.

On a good note, DH says I can do some shopping. Also, I can finally start doing surveys for this month.

Thanks for listening!

jl8595
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Oh Elaine, I'm so sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled. Sounds like a very rough couple of days. I hope things get brighter and you find a new and better "Mandy". Sounds like she's a little flakey and perhaps you're better off without her. At least you found out BEFORE you left - she could have flaked out while you were away and potentially impacted your business and other loyal employees. :hugs:

sammielynn
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm so sorry. If my trip to Disney had to be canceled for someone like her I would not be a happy camper. No references for her.

faithhope
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I can't understand people like that.:confused: I hope you find a new employee that really shines.:sunshine2:

Hedy
09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Try calling WDW about your MNSSHP tix, I've heard of them being lenient in the past.

bartleby1
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
:hugs:I am so sorry you are dealing with so much right now and that you had to cancel your trip. Sometimes people really make you wonder how they can sleep at night. What Mandy did was totally selfish and rotten but I am a true believer in Karma and I'm sure it will come back to bite her.

Hopefully you will find a dream employee in the process and won't have to deal with something like this again!:hugs:

Magical JenK
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh Elaine--
All that drama?! OMG!! That's the LAST thing you need to deal with! I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. :hugs: I am glad to hear about your airline tickets & you were able to reschedule it somewhat. But I totally understand what you mean about needing to share your love for Disney. An upcoming trip just oozes magic & to have someone single-handedly rip that magic away...I'd cry too! CRY all you want...but do some shopping too!! That always helps!! :p

Try calling WDW about your MNSSHP tix, I've heard of them being lenient in the past.

I agree w/Hedy. You may even be able to switch them out for MVMCP tix since you'll be there in December or a PPP in Feb?? Also, I hope you & your DH steal some time away from the friends & family in December!!

lanny76
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh, I am so sorry! What a sad rotten thing to have happen - I'd cry too. I sure hope you can find some more honest reliable employees - why she would do this knowing how much you wanted to go on this trip, I cant understand. But like someone said, it'll probly come back to bite her.
Hope you can get something worked out about the tix, too.

LuvMyBoys
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Sorry to hear about this, I can't believe someone would be so irresponsible and so totally SELFISH! :mad: Like she couldn't have waited until you guys got back.

I agree with others, make sure you give an honest reference about her! :mad:

I also want to second the suggestion to call Disney on the MNSSHP tix, a lot of times they will do a refund if you have a good reason. Or throw them up on Ebay with a "Buy It Now' and overnight shipping. Maybe you could at least recoup some of that money.

Relax and try to enjoy the weekend. I hope your trip in December is even more magical! :)

m 'n c
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
OMG that is horrible Elaine. I just can't get over how selfish and irresponsible some of these workers are. It sounds like you might be better off without this chick! I hope you get your February trip and everything is fabulous.

mia214jia
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
WOW I am soooo sorry to hear all that. And you know you came to the right place to just let it all out. :) Surely you can find someone there at WDW that can help you out with your changes you needed to make. Dont give up, there is always a compassionate one somewhere on the other end of that phone. Just keep trying.
And on the flip side of things you all are probably better off with that employee. Keep your chin up!

bbangel
09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
:hugs:

People who are selfish and prone to flake out make me so angry! I'm sorry that this time it has cost you so much. Here's hoping you find some great new employees and can look forward to your February trip free from the drama.

schaery
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Man, that's awful. I know you feel very letdown. I wonder if WDW would let you exchange your MNSSHP tix for MVMCP tix?

I know you'll find a better employee but I know that doesn't help you for now. There are people who would feel honored that you would trust them enough to leave your business with them.

Maybe you and DH can have a getaway weekend someplace close to home before December.

arob414
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
:hugs:I am so sorry you are dealing with so much right now and that you had to cancel your trip. Sometimes people really make you wonder how they can sleep at night. What Mandy did was totally selfish and rotten but I am a true believer in Karma and I'm sure it will come back to bite her.:hugs:

Not sure how much I believe in Karma but I sure hope this does come back to bite her in the butt.

:hugs:I am so sorry to hear about your cancelled trip and I would cry, also. It sounds like you and your DH really need a vacation. And, I totally understand that the next trip, while fun, can't compare to some down time with your husband. Sometimes, you just need time away from crowds. :hugs:

Blessing and Miracle
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm so sorry. You know we don't mind you blowing off a little steam, especially me, since my life is always full of drama and I'm always sharing with you guys. So go ahead and blow.

Your worker could very well be jealous. You know everyone isn't able to go on a vacation and especially WDW. Sounds like she planned to wait until the last minute so she could indeed ruin your trip. It wouldn't surprise me a bit. Can you close shop for a few days?

Whatever happens, I'm sorry that you have to postpone your trip. You have a right to cry. Go right ahead. I know I would definitely be crying my eyes out if our vacations were ever cancelled. It's what I look so forward to yearly. So I understand your disappointment.

If I were close to you I'd gladly help you out. And even send my older children to help you out so that you could have that time with DH.:)

Hopefully, you guys can replan it.

~Kathie
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: to you Elaine!! I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip.

It's not easy to run your own business and to get good help. Good she didn't pull this while you were already gone. You'll get someone better......and more dependable.

So..........go shop!! It will help! :angel:

Vent anytime........that's what we're all here for.

Sunni
09-12-2008, 12:07 AM
:hugs: Elaine :hugs:

disneyforever
09-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone for all the warm thoughts!!! :thanks: I am feeling better. I just cannot figure out what possess people to do things like this. Thank goodness she did this BEFORE we left and not while we were gone. That would have been a nightmare of a headache.

DH and I are going to take a mini-trip down to DL (woohoo) and Palm Springs in October. :love: Just for a few days. All our other employees are insisting we go away (was it something we said?? LOL ) and are going to work extra shifts for 4 days. :clap:

I called Disney travel but they would not refund the MNSSHP tickets. Then I asked about changing to MVMCP or PPP tickets. A manager person is supposed to call me back on Monday to talk to me about it. We'll see. (crossing fingers!)

Oh, and we hired a very nice lady for about 20 hours per week. We needed a 10am - 2pm person to work, and advertised for someone looking for hours while their kids were in school. We had a huge response and I think we got a terrific hire. :banana: She is a "mom" which brings raises the average age of our employees about 10 years. :cooldance:

So thanks again everyone. You all are the best!

spring
09-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Clearly, Mandy has mental issues. You are much better without her. However, I am so sorry she cost you your trip.:hugs::hugs:

jenvance
09-14-2008, 08:48 AM
That is so horrible. I fel so bad for you. I truly cannot believe what people do to thei employers. Honestly, how some people can still hold their head up high after what they have done is ridiculous. I don't know what kind of business you own, but I work part time at a diner, which I have been a loyal employee for the past five years. And the people that have worked there with no respet for the boss, quit in the middle of shifts, not show up for work, the list goes on and on. And they still have the nerve to come in and eat there.

Maybe you could sell the MNSSHP tickets or exchange them, I think it's worth a shot. Again I am so sorry for you.

luvhockey
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd be so mad. I wish you could take the money it cost you out of her check. Take her to small claims court or something. You just have to hope what goes around comes around someday.
Maybe you could also hire your second choice also for limited hours to kind of have a back up. You know how kids get sick....
We just hired someone like this in our business. She just wants to get out of the house, semi retired lady. She works one day a week and then is willing to fill in whenever she's needed.

I hope you can exchange your tickets. It's nice the employees are going to work extra so you can have a little get away trip.