PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Cindy and other F&W goers

m 'n c
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
How are the crowds during the first part of F&W? I was thinking about going next year for the first weekend of it but wasn't sure how bad the crowds would be. Does it always start that last weekend in September? Is it worth going to F&W? Please tell me more about yall's personal experiences with it (I've already read the basics on Allearsnet and Dis). I'm thinking we need to pick our week for next year and put in for vacation with work now before our schedules gets booked.

Thanks!!!

Soccer Princess
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm no help, but we are going opening weekend this year and I'm also wanting to hear responses! :)

chocovrdmicears
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
We were there the opening weekend for the last 2 years...Last year we went on a Friday night(BIG BIG mistake) and it was SOOOOOO crowded...the lines were incredibly long for all the booths. And it was HOT and humid (no surprise :sunshine: ) We were so hungry we finally gave up and walked into China for dinner.
The year before we went opening week, but not on a weekend. It was still crowded but worth doing for us as we LOVE trying new things:eat: . We really enjoyed it.BUT we did leave the kids with a sitter and did this as our 'date night'. And I would not recommend going really hungry. The foods are yummy (or at the very least, intersting) but the portions are small and our beer and wine were going down quicker than the food...which can be a problem.:p The only other tip I can give is that we found it important to set a budget. All those little tastes can add up! (but if you are on the DDP you can use a snack credit at any of the booths.)

m 'n c
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the review. We would be going probably the Saturday of it since I'm sure the friday would be MNSSHP for us. I'm sure Saturday would be worse though. hmm decisions decisions. I'm sure if it was the last day though and we had done everything else at the park earlier in the week that a few lines wouldn't be too bad coupled with dinner at biergarten. do you see me talking myself into this??

sunshinecindy
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I've gone the past three years. Last year was the saturday of the opening date. Though it was crowded, it wasn't untolerable, and I'm not a patient person, in fact, i think it was less crowded then the year before when we went the second week. I've never gone on a Sunday, which is one day I would think would be slower. The food is good, it can be expensive. We normally spend about 160.00 for the two of us, drinks and all, and we are so full you have to roll us out. We have our specials that we love...the canadian cheese soup, the Irish booth has everything we like, the US never has anything very good. We also hit some of the little restaurants and get the cheese and bread combo, which I love.
This year we are also going to be there the first saturday. I will have my pin on, so if anyone is there, look for me.

Soccer Princess
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Cindy --- my mom and I are taking a girls trip that weekend (Sept 29-Oct 2) and will be there!!! :)

sunshinecindy
07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Cindy --- my mom and I are taking a girls trip that weekend (Sept 29-Oct 2) and will be there!!! :)

Oh, how cool. We need to make sure we see eachother. You know what I look like (advantage), I don't know what anyone on here looks like.

m 'n c
07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
That sounds good Cindy. I definetly will have to try and go next year.

Kycha
07-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't attend, but I was at WDW 2 years ago during opening weekend of F & W. Which also coincided with the first night of MNSSHP and the end of free dining. Can we say crazy? We stayed away from Epcot that weekend. But, it was fairly crowded everywhere else.

PSL1013
07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
This is our favorite time to go to WDW and we will again be there this year 10/27-11/4. The weekends tend to be crowded because the locals go then but during the week it's not too bad, I think the first week and the last week are the worst crowd-wise. We shall see since out trip this year is towards the end of F&W. Just check out my tag under my name and that says it all!!! :rotfl:

m 'n c
08-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok I've been researching a little more about F&W since I've decided (along with BF ;) ) that we will be going Sept 19-28th next year.

So my new question is: Is the Party for the Senses a hard ticket event? Would we be able to do Epcot and the countries without this ticket? Its pretty steep but I might be able to swing it with my christmas shopping on here next quarter. I just wouldn't be able to tell BF how much it is actually costing us to do that.

m4travels
08-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Ok I've been researching a little more about F&W since I've decided (along with BF ;) ) that we will be going Sept 19-28th next year.

So my new question is: Is the Party for the Senses a hard ticket event? Would we be able to do Epcot and the countries without this ticket? Its pretty steep but I might be able to swing it with my christmas shopping on here next quarter. I just wouldn't be able to tell BF how much it is actually costing us to do that.

Yes, Party of the Senses (POTS) is a hard ticket event for every Saturday evening during F&W but you most definitely can do EPCOT and the countries without the POTS ticket. POTS is held in a separate venue (sorry, I'm really a WDW newbie so don't know all the names of the places there!). Okay, Marc just told me that it's the World Showcase - that was a big DUH on my part.

We went for the first time last year and we were both amazed by it all. The wines were wonderful, the food tastings were amazing. There were beer tastings and scotch tastings as well though wine was the predominant drink. There was also plenty of bottled water if one felt that the alcohol was a bit much. Cirque du Soleil also performs 4 separate times during the event. I've seen a few of their shows but they perform in the middle of the arena and you can be VERY close; it was amazing.

When the doors open it's kind of a rush to get in and get a table, but we, shy though we are, managed to share a table with another couple who looked just as lost as we did and we had a great evening. Also, if you do get the POTS ticket you are entitled to VIP seating for the Eat to the Beat concert. We saw Gloria "I Will Survive" Gaynor and, well, let's just say I felt right at home when the disco ball started turning.

If you can afford it, I'd say by all means do it. If you can't afford it, start shopping like crazy on SR and put those credits toward it! It's a chance to try so many fun foods and wine (and beer and scotch!) that you may never have thought about ordering in a restaurant.

llgray16
08-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I'll be there for the first weekend and I can't wait to experience it! Our last day is Saturday, Sept 29th (the first Sat of the F&WF) so hopefully I will see some other Sunshiners there :sunshine:

m 'n c
08-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll be there for the first weekend and I can't wait to experience it! Our last day is Saturday, Sept 29th (the first Sat of the F&WF) so hopefully I will see some other Sunshiners there :sunshine:

I'll be waiting for your trip report then!!

m 'n c
08-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Yes, Party of the Senses (POTS) is a hard ticket event for every Saturday evening during F&W but you most definitely can do EPCOT and the countries without the POTS ticket. POTS is held in a separate venue (sorry, I'm really a WDW newbie so don't know all the names of the places there!). Okay, Marc just told me that it's the World Showcase - that was a big DUH on my part.

We went for the first time last year and we were both amazed by it all. The wines were wonderful, the food tastings were amazing. There were beer tastings and scotch tastings as well though wine was the predominant drink. There was also plenty of bottled water if one felt that the alcohol was a bit much. Cirque du Soleil also performs 4 separate times during the event. I've seen a few of their shows but they perform in the middle of the arena and you can be VERY close; it was amazing.

When the doors open it's kind of a rush to get in and get a table, but we, shy though we are, managed to share a table with another couple who looked just as lost as we did and we had a great evening. Also, if you do get the POTS ticket you are entitled to VIP seating for the Eat to the Beat concert. We saw Gloria "I Will Survive" Gaynor and, well, let's just say I felt right at home when the disco ball started turning.

If you can afford it, I'd say by all means do it. If you can't afford it, start shopping like crazy on SR and put those credits toward it! It's a chance to try so many fun foods and wine (and beer and scotch!) that you may never have thought about ordering in a restaurant.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure right now if we will or will not participate. It seems like it is getting a bit steeper each year after searching the dis for it. I was just worried it if was a hard ticket event in case we can't go and then we'd miss out on the countries and such that night. I'm definetly going to try to earn our way to it. I'll add it to the budget with MNSSHP and see what can be done. :)

m4travels
08-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure right now if we will or will not participate. It seems like it is getting a bit steeper each year after searching the dis for it. I was just worried it if was a hard ticket event in case we can't go and then we'd miss out on the countries and such that night. I'm definetly going to try to earn our way to it. I'll add it to the budget with MNSSHP and see what can be done. :)

Sorry for the delay in another reply... we headed out to see a Mamma Mia matinee and just got home a bit back. (NO comments about Dancing Queen, please!)

POTS is getting pricier. I thought we paid $95 last year and it's up to $135 this year. I could be wrong on last year's cost but I didn't think it was over $100.

I approach it slightly different than many (as I do most things!). Yes, it's costly. Yes, it's a 3-hour event. Yes, it's costly. Did I mention it's costly? Yeah, pricey is the word.

Now, I guess I do an existentialist take on the whole thing. I walked in and the whole place just took me away. When they say party of the "senses" they truly do mean that. Sight, sound, taste, smell, hearing, speech, and animation were all there. It's not just about food and wine (drink) but everything is covered. I probably took it to the nth degree and if I've bored you with this, I do apologize.

I so wanted to go again this year, but it's just not to be. Unfortunately next year isn't working into the schedule either so we're looking at the fall of 2009.
Maybe we need to plan a SR F&W as well as SR cruise!

ruledbymercury
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
We will be there on Sept 29th. I hope it isn't insanely crowded. We went last year on the first Saturday of Oct and the park wasn't empty, but it wasn't insane either. Some booth lines were long, others weren't. It kind of fluctuated throughout the day, but still most lines went pretty quick and we were able to taste a bunch of things without a problem.

sunshinecindy
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Me and Janet will both be there on the 29th. We will definately have to get together. I was there last year on the opening saturday also, which means I walked right past you at some point. I WILL have my pin on.

sunshinecindy
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe we need to plan a SR F&W as well!

Ew baby, now you are talking my game.

ruledbymercury
08-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Last year, I was at F&W October 7th, which I believe was actually the second Saturday of the 2006 festival. Regardless, that is neat that a bunch of us will be there on the same day this year!

Although if it's going to be unbearably crowded on Saturday, we may flip-flop our Epcot and AK days and go on Sunday, Sept 30th, instead. I will have to look into it more and talk it over with DH.

sunshinecindy
08-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't think there will be a big difference in the saturday and sunday crowd. Most of it the first weekend is locals and they go both days.

ruledbymercury
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll actually fit right in then, since I am a local as well! :rotfl:

llgray16
08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Me and Janet will both be there on the 29th. We will definately have to get together. I was there last year on the opening saturday also, which means I walked right past you at some point. I WILL have my pin on.

Sounds like a big SR party at F&WF on the 29th! Hopefully, I will see some of you there!!! I'll have my SR pin as well. Look for a 30 something brunette with 2 little boys and a lady in a scooter :sunshine:

Soccer Princess
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I will be in DW on the 29th, but we are planning to haev the 30th and Oct 1 be our Epcot days :( My plans aren't set in stone though, so if you are all planning a mini-meet (for drinks! :)) I might hop over there for a couple hours!