PDA

View Full Version : Offers Cancelled

SunshineGirl
05-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Some of you may have seen my posts in other places about quick cancellations, but I just wanted to pass along some new information that I got today. I try to keep my ear very close to the ground when it comes to industry trends, and I want you to have all of the information you can have.

I've been concerned for several months that as people talk more and more openly about how to cancel trials for products without actually evaluating the products, we are going to see less and less trials (even the ones where you pay S/H). We just got word today that 9 of our trial offers are being pulled (from ALL rewards sites) as of tomorrow. Here is what the advertiser said:

"The decision is directly influenced by greater awareness among GPT users of quick cancellation and other methods of taking undue advantage of the system - so please do not encourage these behaviors in your site users."

This comes on the heels of Tickle discontinuing any incentives last fall and Scholastic scaling back its use of incentives this month.

I don't know exactly where the rewards industry is headed. But I can say that advertisers are starting to limit much more the use of incentives for offers. Just keep your eyes open and be careful. And don't be surprised if you see major changes in some of your reward programs over the next few months because of it. :(

Alice28
05-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Bummer. Thanks for letting us know the insider scoop though. :(

krg1968
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks for sharing.

SunshineGirl
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
They actually followed it up with an even stronger email later this afternoon regarding incentive site practices in general and what we all need to do to make sure that we can continue to incentivize offers. SR is already doing a lot of things that they suggest, but we are not doing everything. We may have to take some of them into consideration, though, if other advertisers suggest the same things. The big one would be holding all Paypal cashouts until the 15th of the month.

sunshinecindy
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Thats really a shame because offers like Passport to Fun was a great offer and worth keeping, not cancelling for the small amount it cost. Hopefully there won't be a lot more offers pulled.

wilsonfamily4
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
They actually followed it up with an even stronger email later this afternoon regarding incentive site practices in general and what we all need to do to make sure that we can continue to incentivize offers. SR is already doing a lot of things that they suggest, but we are not doing everything. We may have to take some of them into consideration, though, if other advertisers suggest the same things. The big one would be holding all Paypal cashouts until the 15th of the month.

That sure would really stink for me as I don't do the big offers and love using paypal. O, well. I will take my free money any way I can. :)

Hedy
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
:( I hate how one bad apple ruins it for the rest of us.

January
05-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Aw, that is too bad....but I can understand why they are doing this.

sselig2000
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think that it is just one bad apple ruining it. I am sure that we are all guilty of not always giving the trials a fair chance.

missymagic
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I am sure we will adapt to the changes..where there is a will there is a way to make $$ for WDW!!!! Thanks for the heads up.

mollyeilis
05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm feeling very good about my decision to NOT partake in that shopping site offer, b/c it only allowed 3 days before charging, and that's not long enough to really evaluate a site to decide if you want to continue... Sure I missed out on a few credits, but oh well.

SunshineGirl
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm feeling very good about my decision to NOT partake in that shopping site offer, b/c it only allowed 3 days before charging, and that's not long enough to really evaluate a site to decide if you want to continue... Sure I missed out on a few credits, but oh well.

It's always a tough call. I like the ones that give me at least a week. But depending on the service, I really may not know in a week. Things that I have actually kept for at least 6 months (if not longer) include Blockbuster, Netflix (before we switched to Blockbuster), Stamps.com, Passport to Fun, and Gamefly. I think we paid for CinemaNow but didn't really use it very much. I also stayed with Lifelock but need to cancel it because I have had it a few months and just haven't used it. And I need to cancel Rhapsody because I have had it 6 months and only used it once.

Sometimes I am surprised at the things that I end up liking. But other things, I don't even mess with because I know there is no chance at all that I would like them (like the foreclosure stuff).

wilsonfamily4
05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree with the blockbuster, netflix ones. The only thing was I joined netflix before I knew about reward sites. I then joined blockbuster and tried it but I like netflix better. So no more blockbuster. These are great sites!! And the credits for them are so good too.

sunmagic
05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Some of these companies really have good products that I have ended up liking. The ones I've enjoyed and kept after the trial are Blockbuster, Passport to Fun, Shopping Essentials, Columbia House DVD (great for gifts), Disney book club and some others. I especially like that Yourmusic.com site where you get 6.99 CDs shipped free. I can't wait each month to get my CD and that price is a real bargain. I love all of these offers, I'm glad they let me 'try them out' and Iplan on keeping them permanently!

But ~~there are some others that do seem like a racket ~ where they've set it up to take advantage of YOU! In a few, they start autoshipping you products before you've even received the "trial" product that you've been given a week or so to evaluate. Now come on, it's obvious that those are just trying to run up your credit card before you can get in to cancel.

There seems to be a wide range of these offers: from really good ones to sort of shady, imho.