PDA

View Full Version : Wish me Luck

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I go to court at 1:15 to get guardianship of a teenager!! It's a fairly long story, but her parents have agreed and signed off on it. They will still be active parts of her life...I can just provide her with educational opportunities that they can not (mostly just because of locations of our houses). Lawyer has assured me, it's walk in, judge signs it, walk out...but I'm still nervous. :confused:

And then when it does go smoothly...I'll be the parent of a teenager....That may be even more nervewracking for all 3 of us (myself, my dd6 and (the soon to be) dd15.

SunshineGirl
07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I go to court at 1:15 to get guardianship of a teenager!! It's a fairly long story, but her parents have agreed and signed off on it. They will still be active parts of her life...I can just provide her with educational opportunities that they can not (mostly just because of locations of our houses). Lawyer has assured me, it's walk in, judge signs it, walk out...but I'm still nervous. :confused:

And then when it does go smoothly...I'll be the parent of a teenager....That may be even more nervewracking for all 3 of us (myself, my dd6 and (the soon to be) dd15.

Oh, goodness. I'm an attorney and I still get nervous when I go into court. LOL!

Let us know how it goes. We'll be thinking about you!!

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks. I'm sure it will go fine....but I'll definitly post an update (maybe several after Becka actually is all moved in and the rules start :rotfl: )

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Update: It went smooth as could be. This is the third time I've been involved in anything "legal" around here and I'm still amazed at how easy/informal it all is. The judge walked in, my lawyer told them what we were there for, he signed the document. Didn't look over things, make sure her parent signatures were valid..nothing...just signed over this young lady to me. :rotfl:

Anyways, I'm excited. It's done. We're now an official family - not just calling ourselves one...Going out to eat and to a movie tonight to celebrate - just the 3 of us. :)

Hedy
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm glad it worked out! Best wishes to your family!

Kycha
07-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Wow! That is something truly amazing that you are doing for her. Congratulations and I wish your new family all the luck in the world! Good job!

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm looking forward to the next year. I resigned and took a new job in May from my old school to a new one and now a teenager (that will leave with me and I will teach). Should be an interesting year. :sunshine:

chipndale
07-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Congratulations! Glad that everything went OK. Good Luck this year.

Hedy
07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks ladies. I'm looking forward to the next year. I resigned and took a new job in May from my old school to a new one and now a teenager (that will leave with me and I will teach). Should be an interesting year. :sunshine:

How'd the first weekend with Becka go, or is she not moved in yet?

Mom2aPrincess
07-29-2007, 04:10 PM
How'd the first weekend with Becka go, or is she not moved in yet?

:) She's actually been pretty much moved in since school got out in May. :rotfl: She's stayed about 1/2 the time here, 1/4 of the time at her home, and 1/4 of the time at my parent's house. She's been bringing a suitcase full of stuff every time she comes and then taking back an empty one.

But this weekend was fun. She's not going to completely move in until school starts (but we celebrated the legality part being done yesterday with a movie (Hairspray), going out to eat and then chick flicks here at home). :sunshine2:

Thanks for asking. She's went hoem after church this morning and is going to stay a few nights with them. She doesn't want her mom to think she's abandoning them so we're trying to move slow.