PDA

View Full Version : Montessori

SunshineGirl
07-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Has anyone done the Montessori school thing with their kids? It seems a little odd. But we are looking at one today for DD4 for PreK this year. It's from 8:30-3:00 5 days a week. And they put 3,4, and 5 year old kids in the same classroom to "learn" from one another.

I'm not sure that I am sold on that.

faithhope
07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I am a montessori kid myself pk-3rd grade...and I put both my children into montessori schools for a while.

Montessori is not a trademarked word...so anyone can put montessori in the title of their school and have nothing to do with it...

The age grouping is a big thing... it is one sign of a true montessori...

some of the benefits are that kids progress at their own pace... if they are advanced at some things, they don't get held back... if they are slower at some things, they don't feel pressure or stupid.

You really cement your learning when you teach someone else, and nothing like wanting to really learn something because you saw the "big" kids doing it.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation this morning... but if you want to know more about the pros of montessori (true montessori) let me know and i'll write more on monday.

Faith

jnorth1007
07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Montessori can really be a wonderful way for children to learn. The one issue is that there is not a "strict" monitoring on who can place the name Montessori in their title. My sister in law had my neice who was 2 in a "Montessori" school last year and realized at the end of year that the only certified Montessori teacher in the school was the owner who wasn't even teaching the children. She has found a new Montessori school for this coming year and made sure that ALL of the teachers were certified to teach Montessori. The real idea behind Montessori is that you are teaching the WHOLE child not just its intelligence so to speak. They focus on social interaction with each other and also with their family and the community as a whole. They also believe in individual goals and developmental levels. They don't necessarily believe that a child who is 5 should be able to complete these skills in this manner. Instead each child learns at their own pace in the way that is best suited to their learning needs. Another focus of the Montessori schools is the mixed aged groupings because they feel that children teach each other as well if not better than we could ever teach them. If I were you I would meet with not only the administrators but the teachers and ask for their credentialing. I would also take into account what future plans you have for her. If you intend to put her in to a school for K that is highly academic you may want to find a Pre-K that is highly academic and more structured toward age based developmental goals. Good luck in finding a school for her. I know how hard it is to decide. My kids are all at the age to be in pre school and my oldest is starting Kindergarten. My kids have been going to our church mother's day out program. I did this because the school teaches from the ABEKA home schooling program so it wouldnt just be a place to go and play. They would be learning. They would also get their religious teachings that I worried they wouldn't get in a public school later on. My oldest went there for 3 years and she is going in to Kindergarten able to read small word based books and can sound out just about and word you put in front of her. I would research all of the possibilities including any church based ones, since you guys are active in your church, and then of course make the best decision for your family. I hope this helped some. :hugs:

SunshineGirl
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Our kindergarden is VERY academic. After taking the tour today, I'm thinking this is not the route that we want to take. It just didn't really match the way that we live, if you know what I mean.

jnorth1007
07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I absolutely know what you mean. That was the reason we didn't go that route. I think it is wonderful for some families. My niece being one of them. It just wasn't for my kids. I hope you find something else that is better for you soon.