PDA

View Full Version : May have to cancel our surprise trip--any thoughts?

2yearplan
07-28-2007, 03:06 PM
In January, I booked a short weekend (friday, saturday and sunday) surprise trip for me, DH, DD, and DS to celebrate our 20th Anniversary in the place we Honeymooned---of course Disney--to coincide with the Food and Wine Festival. (I know, why take the kids? How could I justify going to Disney and NOT take the kids--oh well, my kids are great) This is something my DH has wanted to do for a while. Flight booked, hotel paid for, (thanks to SR when we could buy Disney Gift Cards and still get the rebate), stash money hidden, time off work for DH okayed with his boss, (as well as mine), etc. Just waiting for the right time to tell him.

Fast forward to today's mail. DD is the Varsity Swim Team at the local High School, and Coach sent his yearly letter with the start date of the season, all scheduled swim meets, and I'll stop right there. The very weekend we are booked to go to Disney, the BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT swim meet is scheduled. What to do?
1. Cancel the whole thing?
2. Try to switch weekends, then try to juggle hockey season where DH is coach?
3. Leave DD home with my best friend--her daughter is also a swimmer--DD says she is okay with it. This is my least favorite option.
4. Finally, tell DH everything and let him in on the surprise, and work something else out?

BTW, we are booked in the BCV in March 2008. I had the surprise trip booked before we decided to plan the other one, so we'll be there soon enough, but I really wanted to pull one over on him!

Any thoughts?

cglaura
07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, if you are all going in March 2008, maybe you can leave both kids at home to have a special anniversary weekend, since it is only 3 days? Can you get a refund voucher for their flights to use for March? That way you can still surprise him and the kids may not be too disappointed if they know you are going again soon? Good luck, I hope it works out, sounds like you put alot of thought and effort into it...lucky family & dh!

LyndaM
07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I realize that you said leaving the kids was one of your least favorite option, but, with all things considered you might want to re-think it!

My DH and I always say a vacation with kids and the same vacation without kids are like night and day - totally different vacations. The two of you would have a great time! And I'm all about surprises, so I wouldn't tell him now!

Since you're all going soon enough, I'd let the Jan. anniversary trip be just for the two of you! :heart:

Good luck with your decision!

SunshineGirl
07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I think I would leave the kids at home. If your kids are teen-ish, it means that you have been making a lot of sacrifices for a long time for them. And if your daughter is really okay with you missing the meet and you would be okay missing the meet, you should have your big trip. You and your DH deserve to celebrate an anniversary that big together. And you would have a wonderful time even without kids.

tommygirl79
07-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, if you are all going in March 2008, maybe you can leave both kids at home to have a special anniversary weekend, since it is only 3 days? Can you get a refund voucher for their flights to use for March? That way you can still surprise him and the kids may not be too disappointed if they know you are going again soon? Good luck, I hope it works out, sounds like you put alot of thought and effort into it...lucky family & dh!

Totally agreed - I think if you have another trip in the works for the whole family the trip will be that much more special for you and DH sans kiddos. :love: It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. DH and I went to WDW on our honeymoon as well and this is the option we are looking at (including the possible 4 day SR DCL cruise) as long as we can fit a vacation with the girls in as well to heal our guilty souls. I hope you work it out! Sounds like it could be awfully romantic...

ETA - Although, with kids, the only reservation I would have would be leaving if my DD was swimming in the biggest tourney of the year and I wouldn't be there to watch. That would be the only thing holding me back, but if she's fine with it, I think I would go.

I agree, you are just trying to be a great Mom and considerate of everyone's feelings. I'm sure you'll do what's best for your family.

LuvMyBoys
07-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I have to agree, I would leave the kids at home. I love my kids dearly too and felt really guilty about going on a "girls only" Disney trip in May. But in the end I was REALLY glad that I did something for me, I sacrifice for my kids and husband all of the time, I knew I deserved a little treat. :)

You sound like a great Mom, who wants to do what's best for the whole family. So maybe taking a little trip together alone, just Mom and Dad, to celebrate the anniversary is what's best for the family in this situation??

C'mon you know you deserve it, sometimes Mom and Dad's marriage gets a chance to be top priority too!!! :love:

(This line of reasoning may explain why we have so many kids........:rotfl: )

sunshinecindy
07-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh ya, leave the kids at home, no special reason, just leave them at home. P.S. as you can tell, I'm not a fan of kids.

2yearplan
07-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks, everyone! DH is sitting on the couch watching a movie with the kids. I knew I could count on you! I'll call the airlines in the morning and see what I can do about the kids tickets. I should be able to turn them around for our 2008 trip. DD is really okay with me not being there for the meet. This swim meet is really for bragging rights in our area and not even a qualifer for Regionals or States. Thanks to everyone for putting it in perspective. I was a SHM for a really long time and did really want to show my DH how much I really appreciated all he did to make that happen. You guys are the greatest! I am really going to try post more often!

By the way Cindy, I guess asking you to watch the kids is OUT of the question!!! LOL:rotfl:

linanglab
07-29-2007, 05:11 PM
It could be fun to have a romantic trip with your DH! My DH and I haven't done that. But, I think I would really enjoy it - probably really need it! I have been an SAHM for 13 years and then do some babysitting. So to be on a trip with just adults, as wierd as it would be at the beginning, I would probably really enjoy it.

Go and have fun! Let me know how it goes. Maybe I can talk DH into a trip for just the 2 of us....

Angela

wdwabby
07-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I was a varsity athlete in high school and would do the same as your DD - I'd be ok staying home and letting the rents head out on vaca - as long as there was a "consolation prize" aka the trip you already have planned.

Especially w/ Food & Wine fest, I think it would be a great trip for just you and DH. And with it being short anyways, you can spend a little more time over at Epcot doing the F&W things and not worry about what the kids are up to, getting on all sorts of rides, etc.

so yeah, here's your answer from the younger set, if DD is good with it, you're good with it and she's got a safe, comfortable place to stay, head on out guilt free! Good luck!

sunshinecindy
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
By the way Cindy, I guess asking you to watch the kids is OUT of the question!!! LOL:rotfl:

What was your first clue?