PDA

View Full Version : A little OT...Can you give a dog ice cream?

Pooh's Pal
07-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Just wondering if any of you know if it's alright to give your dog an ice cream treat once in awhile?
I gave my old pooch a bit of vanilla soft serve ice cream and he seems to really like it.....it's hot and muggy here in the NE and my AC is not working too well. So I brought him home a treat...I gave him about the size of a large tablespoon. (put the rest in the fridge for me!!) Just wondering if it's okay?

arob414
07-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I have given my dogs ice cream, don't know if it was okay but they loved it. I do know there is or used to be a special ice cream for dogs. Never bought, just let mine eat a little vanilla ice cream.

Kittykat
07-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't think it's technically good for them, something about the milk sugar being hard for them to digest? Maybe it gives them diarrhea? Seems like I read something along those lines before...

3dog2kidmom
07-28-2007, 09:13 PM
We let ours lick the bowls or have a tablespoon on rare occasions and it's never bothered them.

speechteachri
07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Every dog I know loves ice cream!! And I've never seen it hurt a one of them.

Personally, I think it's ok as long as you don't let the dog lick from your cone then lick it yourself...I have seen this on several occasions...that is just gross!:eek:

sunshinecindy
07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Dairy products for dogs only in VERY limited quantities. I hate to even tell people that because when they think of limited quantities, they think...oh, 1/3Cup won't hurt. It will. Dogs digestive systems are not made for dairy. While they do need an array of meat and veggies, thats really about it. Dog food and only dog food is the best for them. Remember that your dogs belly is a lot smaller than you think, so a little bit means "a couple drops or so".

linanglab
07-29-2007, 04:44 PM
There is a product called Frosty Paws. It is an icecream type thing that is made for dogs. It is in the freezer - icecream section - of the supermarket. I have seen them at WalMart and Meijer.

However, we gave our dogs Frosty Paws once and it did give them the runs...

gshanny
07-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I had a dog that loved popsicles. I would shove the stick in the ground with it sticking up and she would lick it to death. The dog we have now loves to play with ice cubes once in a while.
I have always been too scared to give a dog ice cream. I am too scared of potential messes.lol

zoodoyle
07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
There is a product called Frosty Paws. It is an icecream type thing that is made for dogs. It is in the freezer - icecream section - of the supermarket. I have seen them at WalMart and Meijer.

However, we gave our dogs Frosty Paws once and it did give them the runs...

My "puppy" (8 months old today!! and 75lbs.!!) got a frosty paws treat when he graduated from puppy obedience - he LOVED it!! But I think I'll only give them for super-special occasions to make sure to not upset his inner-workings :) If he passes the CGC (canine good citizen) test he's taking in a month I'll have to come up with the best treat ever!!!!! :sunshine2: