PDA

View Full Version : Go Vote

sunshinecindy
11-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Don't forget to vote today. Our country is in horrible shape and needs some change...make it a good one. Oh ya, then go to Starbucks for your free coffee and Krispy Kreme for your free donut. :D

PSL1013
11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
My husband and I were in line to vote at 6:15am this morning...thought we would beat the evening crowds, a bunch of people seemed to have the same idea as us, I didn't think there would be a line that early in the morning! :rotfl: Stood in line for only about 5 minutes, not too bad!

fourfoxesinpa
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I took DD to our polling place at 7:15 because she wanted to watch. I was #28 which is a lot for our little town of 1200 residents total. I have voted in every election, primary and general, since I became 18 and have never felt so powerful or emotional as I did today when I colored in that little block.

Please vote - be prepared to wait in long lines, take a snack, take something to keep you occupied. Not only are you choosing the leader of the free world but you're also picking the new addition to the Hall of Presidents!

jenvance
11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I CANT Vote and I am so upset about it. I didn't realize your license had to match the town you were registered to vote in. And we moved a while ago and I changed my license but when I changed my voting town in was October 15 and they said I wouldn't get it in time.

Blessing and Miracle
11-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Isn't it exciting! I've always voted in every election as well. But this has definitely been by far the most emotional, expensive and time consuming election ever in my life for me! Even my four year olds know both canidates.

:cry:What a historical day!:cry:

PSL1013
11-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I CANT Vote and I am so upset about it. I didn't realize your license had to match the town you were registered to vote in. And we moved a while ago and I changed my license but when I changed my voting town in was October 15 and they said I wouldn't get it in time.

You might want to check with your state...here in Ct. we can still vote for the President if you are not registered but would have to do it at our town clerks office.

askomsky
11-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Chick fil a and Ben and Jerry's (check your local stores) are also offering free chicken sandwich and ice cream 5-8 if you vote!
The one mall has all 3 in the food court (starbucks too) I'm going to convince DH that's where were eating dinner tonight! lol

Hedy
11-04-2008, 09:00 AM
:(
I voted!

sammielynn
11-04-2008, 09:03 AM
I voted over a week ago. Didn't want to miss this one! Hopefully we will have some answers by the time I go to bed tonight.

Blessing and Miracle
11-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I voted over a week ago. Didn't want to miss this one! Hopefully we will have some answers by the time I go to bed tonight.

I, too, voted last week. I hate that I have doctor's appointments today as I'm enjoying watching Election Day on TV. I hope we have an answer tonight as well. Last time I stayed up very late (Gore and Bush) and still didn't have a answer until two weeks later.

sunshinecindy
11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Done voting, the line was quite long, of course, the machines are down and we all had to vote manually, but thats ok. While in line, talking to the people, out of 10, 8 were for Obama, 2 for McCain (course those two had to hurry and vote to catch their plane to Miami for business). I was totally surprised since I live in a predominately Republican town. Not sure why that is given the looks of the area and lack of jobs, but, it is.
I did manage to take a little "history" with me home too. :angel: (more to irritate my neighbor then anything):D

Magical JenK
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Done voting, the line was quite long, of course, the machines are down and we all had to vote manually, but thats ok. While in line, talking to the people, out of 10, 8 were for Obama, 2 for McCain (course those two had to hurry and vote to catch their plane to Miami for business). I was totally surprised since I live in a predominately Republican town. Not sure why that is given the looks of the area and lack of jobs, but, it is.
I did manage to take a little "history" with me home too. :angel: (more to irritate my neighbor then anything):D

Isn't it illegal to take an extra ballot Cindy?? :angel:

Jen V-you should still be able to vote. Here we just have to prove we live at our address by way of utility bill that is in our name & the address. You should really look into it.

I was in line by 635am, out by 715am. I've never voted in the morning before, but I didn't want to be in line all night long. I was #23 & there were a lot of people in line after me before the polls opened & WAY more (to the parking lot) when I left!

I did a poll of my own too & out of the 15 people I asked, 12 were for McCain! Go Johnny Go! :flag: Which was surprising because we live in a very blue collar neighborhood & I assumed all were democrats except me & my neighbor! Guess one can never assume!

sunshinecindy
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Isn't it illegal to take an extra ballot Cindy?? :angel:

Jen V-you should still be able to vote. Here we just have to prove we live at our address by way of utility bill that is in our name & the address. You should really look into it.

I did a poll of my own too & out of the 15 people I asked, 12 were for McCain! Go Johnny Go! :flag: Which was surprising because we live in a very blue collar neighborhood & I assumed all were democrats except me & my neighbor! Guess one can never assume!

How odd this election is. Repubs voting Dem, Dems voting Repub, going to be interesting, and yes, in this election, there is no assuming.

I didn't take a ballot...darn, I wish I would have thought of that.

fourfoxesinpa
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, JenVance - call your county election office right away and ask them as it varies state by state. Or, you can call the office for your registered party and they'll tell you what to do. It makes sense that you could take your utility bill, paystub, deed or any other paper that proves your residency - I mean, what if someone doesn't drive? If they need a photo ID, take a passport or old license.

SunshineGirl
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
It took me about 90 minutes to vote and by the time I got out, the line was up to 2 hours. By lunch it will likely be 3 or more. YOWZA!! Thankfully, it's beautiful outside.

spring
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
It took me about 90 minutes to vote and by the time I got out, the line was up to 2 hours. By lunch it will likely be 3 or more. YOWZA!! Thankfully, it's beautiful outside.

YIKES!:eek: I couldn't vote this morning as I have to be in work by 6:30AM, and my work is 15 minutes away. That doesn't leave any time for lines. Anyway, I'm planning to vote after my DH gets home and has a bite to eat. We'll probably get there around 6:15PM, just in time for the huge lines.:( Oh well, we've got to do our civic duty, lines or no lines.

BTW, I don't think a poll will be necessary when I go. New England as a whole is very pro Obama.

Hedy
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Wow! There was only one person in line ahead of me.

Magical JenK
11-04-2008, 11:10 AM
You guys, I just have to share this...my mom has NEVER voted in her life. She just told me today that she IS voting this year!! I was floored! As was my brother! I asked him, "is she serious??" SHE IS!!

I asked her if she was nervous or excited?? She said, "no, none of that I just know who I DON'T want to win." :rotfl:

Whatever the reason...this election has brought out my mother to vote for the very first time! To me, that's just amazing!!

:flag::flag::flag:

faithhope
11-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I voted! the line was short and there were no problems... then I went and got my free coffee.

disney_girl
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
We voted last week when we got home from WDW. I think we waited about 30 minutes then (or at least it felt like that long standing next to DH:D). Should be record turnouts everywhere!

mjjmbnmm
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I can see the line for voting from my deck in the back yard, it's about 3 times as long as it was when I went at 7:40 and it took me 45 minutes, glad I went then.

spring
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
You guys, I just have to share this...my mom has NEVER voted in her life. She just told me today that she IS voting this year!! I was floored! As was my brother! I asked him, "is she serious??" SHE IS!!

I asked her if she was nervous or excited?? She said, "no, none of that I just know who I DON'T want to win." :rotfl:

Whatever the reason...this election has brought out my mother to vote for the very first time! To me, that's just amazing!!

:flag::flag::flag:

Jen, you made me think about my Mom, who is almost 81. My Mom religiously voted all her life, but now that my Dad has passed on and she has given up her driver's license, she is afraid to register. Why? Because she is afraid she'll get picked for jury duty! The courts are quite a way from where she lives, and if she got picked, she'd have no way of getting there. Of course, we all know that if you get picked, you have to report.......:(

jnorth1007
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I voted this morning too it only took me 5 minutes in and out. I have to be honest and say that this is my first vote in 10 years. I just never would take the time to vote. I have kept up my voter registeration every time I renew my driver's license I just couldn't ever get to the polls. I was adamant that both Brandon (who has never voted but is registered) and I would both be voting this time. I was so excited when I left that I wanted to cry.

sunshinecindy
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Jen, you made me think about my Mom, who is almost 81. My Mom religiously voted all her life, but now that my Dad has passed on and she has given up her driver's license, she is afraid to register. Why? Because she is afraid she'll get picked for jury duty! The courts are quite a way from where she lives, and if she got picked, she'd have no way of getting there. Of course, we all know that if you get picked, you have to report.......:(

Well, this brings up a whole different thread on moms voting. My mom, who is married to an illegal alien, that has a FL drivers license and a couple SS numbers, voted for her as an absentee. Shes had a stroke and really can't decide for herself. Now you may ask have I ever reported this...YES, for the past 5 years and no one cares. Hmmmm,

m4travels
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Pat, is mom in CT as well? If you're over 70 you don't have to serve.

spring
11-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Pat, is mom in CT as well? If you're over 70 you don't have to serve.

No, my Mom lives in Pennsylvania. I don't know the rules there as I haven't lived there for over 35 years.

Sunni
11-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I voted. I went at the right time...in and out quickly. No line for A - D.

LuvMyBoys
11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
No, my Mom lives in Pennsylvania. I don't know the rules there as I haven't lived there for over 35 years.

This looks like the answer:

Exemption from Jury Duty

Pennsylvania law allows for exemption from jury duty for: (1) persons in the active military service, and (2) persons who demonstrate undue hardship or extreme inconvenience. There is no exemption for age.:(

Maybe she could get out with the undue hardship?? :confused: I would hate for someone to not vote just b/c of the jury issue.

I have been waiting for 12 years to be called and still nothing!:headache:

ligrumpygirl
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I just got back from voting...no real wait.

I brought DD7 with me and let her cast my vote for president. I explained to her how important this election is - no matter the outcome it is historical.

One the way home, I explained how important it was to vote every time - national OR school board. Women have come a long way and I don't want her not to know the history. The women who fought before us were not too busy...and thank goodness for that!

spring
11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
This looks like the answer:

Exemption from Jury Duty

Pennsylvania law allows for exemption from jury duty for: (1) persons in the active military service, and (2) persons who demonstrate undue hardship or extreme inconvenience. There is no exemption for age.:(

Maybe she could get out with the undue hardship?? :confused: I would hate for someone to not vote just b/c of the jury issue.

I have been waiting for 12 years to be called and still nothing!:headache:

Thanks for getting that info. I'm wondering if she actually has to report once in order to claim undue hardship? That's what she is afraid of. She'd have to hire a taxi, and I think the courts are at least 10 miles away, if not more like 15 miles. Taxi fare both ways on a fixed income at her age would, indeed, be a hardship.

BTW, before my Mom moved to senior housing, she was called to duty almost like clockwork.

LuvMyBoys
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks for getting that info. I'm wondering if she actually has to report once in order to claim undue hardship? That's what she is afraid of. She'd have to hire a taxi, and I think the courts are at least 10 miles away, if not more like 15 miles. Taxi fare both ways on a fixed income at her age would, indeed, be a hardship.

BTW, before my Mom moved to senior housing, she was called to duty almost like clockwork.

I'm not sure but I know your Mom's county clerk would know. A quick phone call would set the record straight and maybe your Mom could vote in the next election :angel:

County clerks and court clerks are, in my experience, extremely helpful people with a great deal of knowledge. They are truly a young lawyer's best friend, a great source of information, and good public servants! :)

Of course my Mom was one for years so I am a bit biased ;)

BTW, I see there is pending legislation in PA for extending the jury duty exemption to parents that care for children at home and caregivers of sick or elderly. It would be great if an age exemption could be added into that bill too! Something to lobby for!!! :rotfl:

askomsky
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I know in my county in PA that you can just write a letter explaining WHY you can't go and they 9 times out of 10 they excuse you.

The two times I was called 1 I was nursing a newborn the other I was pg with 2 small children at home. They excused me both times. I am almost sure that they would excuse her considering her "issues".

I went in at 10am to vote had to wait 45 mins, DH left 15 mins before me and only had to wait 30 mins, but everyone else I've talked to is waiting over an hour. To me this is GOOD!

Mom2aPrincess
11-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I was first to vote today in my precinct. It was kind of fun to slide my ballot in the machine and watch it turn from 0 to 1. :)

Cameron voted at school today too and came home boasting all the political stuff they made at school today. They made posters, ribbons, corsages and visors to support their favorite candidate so she looked like a regular little John McCain fan club all by herself walking across the school courtyard. :)

snowyday
11-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I voted last week!