PDA

View Full Version : Tmobile....ugh

mmm611
11-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I wish I could take back anything nice I ever said about them in a survey....

My contract's been up for a few weeks and I've been looking at new phones and trying to make up my mind before I committed to something. Since I have hearing issues, I wanted something with the best sound quality and don't really care about the other features, since I don't use the ones I have now. So, over the past few weeks, I've talked to two different reps in the stores and gotten two separate recommendations for the same particular phone. Tonight, I decide to go on and see about upgrading, but for some lame reason, the phone is unavailable as an upgrade, but not for new customers. I just spent a half hour with this very annoying customer service rep who kept sayign it's not available. Well, what are you going to send me if I sign up as a new customer?

It doesn't help that I associate them with pet problems. My dog died the day my current phone came two years ago. Today, my parents' current dog decided she didn't want to come in from playing in the snow after my mom was done cleaning the drive and instead, walked a 1/4 mile to grandma's house. I have been really upset since I heard about this, since I took the loss of our other dog especially hard. Losing my furry sister now would probably be more than I could handle now, with all the other crap going on.

So apparently, the difference between signing up as a new customer and upgrading is $17 for the phone that I know has good reviews and I've had two recommendations for. Tmobile says they can transfer my number in about another week, but they're willing to let me go to Verizon or another competitor over a $17 profit. Sheesh.

Looks like I'm going to be going out to the mall again next weekend and this time, comparing deals from the other cell phone places. Tmobile really does not want my business for some reason... I figured they'd be jumping for it in this economy.

m 'n c
11-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Sorry you are having cell phone troubles. I have tmobile for my blackberry and haven't had to deal with them since it is through work. I use Verizon for my personal cell phone and I really like them. Haven't had any real issues with them and I have liked all of my phones.

askomsky
11-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry their giving you such a hard time. You would think they would bend over backwords trying to keep you as a customer.

Sprint does! I've had them now for 8 yrs almost 9 and everytime I walk in to upgrade they always give me a great deal. When I bought this last phone over a year ago, they had some problems getting the phone itself to recognize my number, I spent all day with different tech support before i finally got it resolved. They gave me $50 off my bill that month. Then I called back 3 months later to upgrade my plan and they said oh you have a $75 credit coming. I asked for what? They said because you've been a loyal customer all these years. I was like OK! So for no reason other then that they gave me another $75 off my bill.

I get awesome reception, never really had a major problem and they've always been VERY easy and willing to deal with.

(Ok so there's my plug for Sprint. lol)

mmm611
11-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Am I reading this right? I can get $15 if I switch to AT&T via SR?

Crap, that almost makes me want to go that route, despite the problems I had with them back when they were Cingular before I went to Tmobile. It'd be a 50/50 shot on if they'd call me a new customer, but I've been gone for over two years.

faithhope
11-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I hope you find the phone you want for a much discounted price with someone else :)

Unfortuately customer service is a lost art.

My credit card company flagged my credit card as "not secure" so they canceled the account (good job) then wanted me to pay $15 to send me the new card in a timely manner (bad idea). I said no thanks. Ship it free in the slow way, I'll just use another card for a while. That got her attention. So she decided to waive the fee, and overnight the new card to me.

askomsky
11-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Am I reading this right? I can get $15 if I switch to AT&T via SR?

Crap, that almost makes me want to go that route, despite the problems I had with them back when they were Cingular before I went to Tmobile. It'd be a 50/50 shot on if they'd call me a new customer, but I've been gone for over two years.

Looks that way, and i don't think you would be new if you've been gone that long from them.

I also think they've really improved. A few friends have it and love AT&T as much as I love my provider.

Blessing and Miracle
11-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry you're having trouble with T-Mobile. It all depends on who you are dealing with. Have you tried to upgrade online or by phone? They maybe able to help you out a little better. I've had them for years and again it all depends on who answers in the call center whether or not I get good customer service or not. Good luck and I hope your dog is okay.

PSL1013
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I have ATT for my home phone as well as my cell phone and have never had a bit of trouble with them. Their customer service is by far superior to Sprints which I had previously and I had nothing but aggrevation from them. When ever I have to call ATT with a question, they are very helpful...you can also add and delete upgrades without having to extend your contract...which was not unlike my previous provider!

fourfoxesinpa
11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I have ATT for my home phone as well as my cell phone and have never had a bit of trouble with them. Their customer service is by far superior to Sprints which I had previously and I had nothing but aggrevation from them. When ever I have to call ATT with a question, they are very helpful...you can also add and delete upgrades without having to extend your contract...which was not unlike my previous provider!

We have AT&T (for about 4 years now) and never had a billing problem or issue that we needed to contact customer service. When I sent my phone through the washing machine, they were really great finding a free new phone for us since it was 2 years since DHs last work-entitled upgrade. We didn't know he could upgrade every two years - they were the ones that told us.

Great service around us, very rarely a dropped call. I'm very happy with them.

Now, Virgin Mobile, prepaid - I'd like to talk about them. :headache: DS's emergency phone is with them. They doublebilled me last top-off and I spent over a half hour on the phone trying to recoup $21. They said they'd get back to me in a week, which they never did. I gave up and just contacted Disney Visa and challenged the charge. Within two business days, the charge was reversed. :clap:

mmm611
11-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry you're having trouble with T-Mobile. It all depends on who you are dealing with. Have you tried to upgrade online or by phone? They maybe able to help you out a little better. I've had them for years and again it all depends on who answers in the call center whether or not I get good customer service or not. Good luck and I hope your dog is okay.

I started trying to get it online, then ended up on the phone with them. She was not helpful at all.

As far as I know, the dog's fine. It just really scared me that she would go and do that.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had AT&T before they were Cingular and didn't have a problem. Then when Cingular took over, I started having problems. so maybe since it's back to AT&T, I'd be ok.

spring
11-11-2008, 09:07 AM
All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE! I agree with you. In this economy, one would think T-Mobile would be throwing the red carpet out for you.

When it comes to cell phone providers, I would first consider the amount of coverage that provider has all around in your area of the country. I personally have Verizon and love it, but I live in New England where their cell towers abound. Verizon is pretty much all around the US, but I know their are some sketchy areas on their map. I'd look online at each cell phone provider to see what the coverage is. I have also had Sprint as a provider a few years ago. I had no problems with them except that I barely got 1 bar service at my house. With Verizon, I get 4 bar service, so that provider works better for me.

I find Verizon to be somewhat pricey. I might look at AT&T when my current contract is up. I'm not sure of the prices, but I do like the idea of roll-over minutes monthly. I could also bundle it up with my landline and DSL service with them to save more. It's something I'm considering.

One other thing to look at is the service people you call frequently have. My DD's and most of my siblings have Verizon, so I don't use up minutes whenever I call one of them. That gives me more "bang for my buck."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one cell phone company doesn't fit all. I would look around and see what's out there. Ask if they have a trial period so you can try out your service for a few weeks or a month to make sure you have the coverage you need. I think Sprint offered me that option, if I remember correctly. I think Verizon might, also. When you find a company that works for you, see if you can sign up only for a year rather than having to wait two more years to change if you don't like them.

Good luck!:sunshine:

PSL1013
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE! I agree with you. In this economy, one would think T-Mobile would be throwing the red carpet out for you.

When it comes to cell phone providers, I would first consider the amount of coverage that provider has all around in your area of the country. I personally have Verizon and love it, but I live in New England where their cell towers abound. Verizon is pretty much all around the US, but I know their are some sketchy areas on their map. I'd look online at each cell phone provider to see what the coverage is. I have also had Sprint as a provider a few years ago. I had no problems with them except that I barely got 1 bar service at my house. With Verizon, I get 4 bar service, so that provider works better for me.

I find Verizon to be somewhat pricey. I might look at AT&T when my current contract is up. I'm not sure of the prices, but I do like the idea of roll-over minutes monthly. I could also bundle it up with my landline and DSL service with them to save more. It's something I'm considering.

One other thing to look at is the service people you call frequently have. My DD's and most of my siblings have Verizon, so I don't use up minutes whenever I call one of them. That gives me more "bang for my buck."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one cell phone company doesn't fit all. I would look around and see what's out there. Ask if they have a trial period so you can try out your service for a few weeks or a month to make sure you have the coverage you need. I think Sprint offered me that option, if I remember correctly. I think Verizon might, also. When you find a company that works for you, see if you can sign up only for a year rather than having to wait two more years to change if you don't like them.

Good luck!:sunshine:

Pat, you won't have any trouble running out of minutes with ATT and rollover, right now I have 4,736 minutes that are rolled over from past months and we have the family talk plan with 3 of us using the same minutes. :rotfl: I don't remember ever having a dropped call here in CT. With Sprint I was always dropping calls, maybe they are better now with more towers but I had a lot of trouble when I had them.

disneyforever
11-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Another vote here for Sprint. DH and I have used them for 6+ years and we love them. Last year DH got a new phone and they gave us a "good customer" $75 credit on our bill. If I had one wish for Sprint it would be for roll over minutes.

My brother used to have Cingular and didn't like them. Now that they merged with AT&T he is happy. The roll over minutes work great for him. He was able to lower the amount of minutes he had each month, which in turn lowered his bill by $30 per month, and still rolls over some minutes each month. He also now has the iphone and just loves it.

mmm611
11-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I went out to the mall yesterday. AT&T tested the phone in store with me. Sprint atually took one out of the box so I could see how it worked. I was very impressed with both of them. Verizon seemed too busy to give me any attention, and I didn't feel like they were actually reccommending a phone that would be right for me, more like, "well, any of them on the wall fit your needs." Well, that's nice, but which would YOU get if you were in my shoes? I also went up to Radio Shack, and they told me to get the same two phones AT&T and Sprint reccommended. Reviews look OK on both phones, but I'm a little more skeptical of getting a Sanyo since I don't know as much about them, so I got the Samsung from AT&T.

I just placed the order with AT&T, via SR. I'm hoping it credits, but it's a 50/50 chance. My address is different since I moved from where I was living previously and I made sure to use my fother credit card, rather than the one I put absolutely everything on. The security code is kind of rubbed off on the card that doesn't get used as much, so I hope I got that part entered right.

I'm also very excited because I picked up 7 Christmas presents this weekend for about $20. Our grocery store is having their big DVD sale, so I wanted to check and see if either of the movies I know my mom would like for Christmas were included. Waitress was in the 3.95 area, but by itself. I was ready to put it back it it wasn't on sale, but amazingly, it was $4! Then I went back to the mall today and got two reusable grocery totes from Dick's for my uncles with Indians and Ohio State on them. $2 each. I can't name the last store since it's not an SR merchant, but they had a 4/$10 sale, so I picked up some stuff to take care of my two aunts, cousin, and grandma. So my extended family is completely done for about $15. How awesome is that? I'm so proud of myself for finding decent Christmas presents CHEAP this year since money is tight. I'm down to just my dad and the dog -- Dad's will probably be candy which I will wait till just before Christmas to get and I need to go find Buckeye a new laser pointer.