PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of girl from the 1980's....

chocovrdmicears
07-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I graduated in 1987..had big hair..wanted to be Madonna/ Cindi Lauper/ Molly Ringwald..knew the words to the Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink...So I see the add for the new show on VH1...Yes..it's true...
"Scott Baio...45 and Single"
And I think OMG...how many of these ridiculous, drag them up from the past stars and give them there own show, can they do?
Now that being said I must admit I was totally completely in :heart: with Scott Baio. I shamelessly cut out all his pictures from Teen Beat and put them on my bedroom walls. I was truly jealous of Joanie. I initially refused to watch this show..how ridiculous it will be!...then curiosity got the best of me. So just for the fun of it, I watch the show..And now...

I am COMPLETELY addicted to it AND my 1980's crush has returned!!!!!!!He is still adorable and I cannot stop watching his show!! I am so ashamed of myself. :blush: I even googled him today....

coastalgirl
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
So funny I find myself watching that too!!! But the one that really gets me is the one with Brett Michaels from Posion. I so loved him!:heart:

Lydia

Magical JenK
07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Yes, Poison STILL (that's right, I said it STILL) Rocks! However, those girls are just train wrecks that I can't help but watch!! It's great!! I'm also enjoying Scott Baio & then last night I watched "The Two Coreys" on A&E!!

Hannahsmom
07-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh the 80's,how I loved thee. Good times.......Good times. I just can't make myself watch those shows, because those guys look so darn old. And if they look old, so do I.

We got free tickets to the Rock Never Stops tour 7 or so years ago. On the venue; Quiet Riot, Slaughter, Warrant and a few other has-beens. And I got to tell ya, the Rock stopped for these guys a long time ago.

3dog2kidmom
07-30-2007, 11:59 PM
I graduated in 1987..had big hair..wanted to be Madonna/ Cindi Lauper/ Molly Ringwald..knew the words to the Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink...

OMG you are speaking my language. Big hair, 1982 graduate here. :rotfl:

ItsmeSunnyV
07-31-2007, 12:25 AM
OMG you are speaking my language. Big hair, 1982 graduate here. :rotfl:

:rotfl: OMG Shelly...I couldnt help but say this...I am so sorry in advance....That was the year I was born.:rotfl:

I love all things from the 80's as well...Im an old soul...If that makes any sense. I love things from beyond the 80's as well.

Kycha
07-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Class of 86 here! I love all things 80's, to my DH's dismay. Scott Baio is still a dreamboat. He doesn't look as if he has aged a day. Now, Brett Michaels looks like he needs to get a refund from his plastic surgeon. His skin looks a little too tight, you know. And what is up with his hair. I swear he is wearing a wig. And what is up with those women? I guess they don't care that they all look(and act)ridiculous. But I guess some people will do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame(ie New York, Flavor of Love). I can't help watching them though. Its like a train wreck.

linanglab
07-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Graduated in 1989. I was all about BIG hair and the BIG scrunchy and ALL the bracelets....

Tuesday nights was my favorite night as a child. It was Happy Days and then Laverne and Shirley night.

And I loved getting up on Saturday mornings for the Smurfs and Super Heroes.

And yes, when I see the stars from "our time", I think - Do I look that old???? (Or maybe older because I do not have the plastic surgery option). Lovely.....:rotfl:

Angela

catnapfan
07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
And I loved getting up on Saturday mornings for the Smurfs and Super Heroes.

I was class of 1988 (88 is great!) My ds can't believe that we only watched cartoons for a few hours on Saturday mornings only. I think he finds it almost like child abuse that we didn't have 10 channels dedicated to cartoons 24 hours a day.

BTW, please don't judge me, but sometimes I still have big hair tendencies today. :rotfl:

faithhope
07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
class of '85 here...
Not only do my kids not understand that there weren't constant cartoons, but when I tell them we didn't have vcrs, and dvds, my kids then look at me strangely and ask if there were no cars back then...
It is like a slap in the face, and then I realize I'm giving a similar speech to the one my father gave me... that never made me grateful for all the things I had...but more sad about the strange life he must have had without all the things I had...

Faith

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, I'm class of '93, but that means I grew up in the 80s! So while it's not the same decade of graduation, I did have big hair, which included Aqua Net or Aussie Sprunch Spray, slouch socks, jelly shoes and a lace head band...like Madonna of course.

LOVE the 80s!

As a matter of fact I have XM radio in my car & found out last week I can listen online, so I ALWAYS have the 80s decade station on here at work! It's totally awesome!!

speechteachri
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Class of '86 for me.

Remember the beginnings of MTV??

Trivia question for those of us who do remember...what was the first video played when MTV started????

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Video Killed the Radio Star

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Video Killed the Radio Star

Yup. MTV came out right before I was born but I know that bit of trivia.

I miss my crimped hair.

LuvMyBoys
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I graduated in '96, so I grew up in the 80's too. I loved wearing jelly shoes, rolling my pants, curling my bangs! :rotfl:

When my sister went abroad for a year we threw her a going away party - and the theme was the 80's. We dressed up, listened to 80's music, did trivia about the 80's and had 80's food (Tab, Doritos, Pizza, Pop Rocks, etc). It was tons of fun, made for alot of funny pictures too! :)

nolacindy
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Favorite 80's group... WHAM, love me some George Michael.:rotfl: I'm a 92 graduate so most of my school days were pegged jeans, jelly shoes (eww sweaty feet), big hair, Guess sweatshirts... ahhh such fun memories.

linanglab
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
One of the first MTV videos I remember watching was Centerfold. I had NO IDEA what that video was about. I would go around singing it and pretend I was walking in a school room carrying a stack of books. (Remember the video?)

Looking back, I think HOW did I not know what that song was about?????

I also liked Madonna, Whitney Houston, Lisa Lisa, Paula Abdul.

I remember a boy breaking up with me when I was a sophomore. The song All at Once by Whitney Houston was out and I would listen to that song OVER AND OVER again just crying....yeah....what a sap....

The 80's.....gotta love them.

Angela

chocovrdmicears
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I totally forgot about the 'slouched socks' obsession!:rotfl: I had to wear blue polyester uniforms in high school with knee socks..:eek: We used to try and slouch them down to be cool? The nuns would yell "pull up your socks!" I can only imagine what they would do if they saw what some of this kids wear to school today.:sick:

Anyone remember Colecovision? The Worlds BIGGEST and maybe first video gaming system...a little different that WII!

chocovrdmicears
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I remember a boy breaking up with me when I was a sophomore. The song All at Once by Whitney Houston was out and I would listen to that song OVER AND OVER again just crying....yeah....what a sap....

The 80's.....gotta love them.

Angela

My 'crying over breakups' song was Almost Paradise..the love song from Footloose. ahhh...Kevin Bacon....:heart:

bartleby1
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Class of 87 here - and to make it even better, a jersey girl. We not only had big hair, but we had HUGE hair, lol! It was the 80's but done to an extreme! Gosh, I remember laying on my bed trying to zip my two-sizes-too-small jeans, wearing the big plastic earrings, spraying half a bottle of aquanet hairspray on my head while hanging upside down to get maximum height, and wearing horrible colors of eyeshadow, bright blue eyeliner, and frosted light pink/almost white lipstick/gloss.

LuvMyBoys
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Class of 87 here - and to make it even better, a jersey girl. We not only had big hair, but we had HUGE hair, lol! It was the 80's but done to an extreme! Gosh, I remember laying on my bed trying to zip my two-sizes-too-small jeans, wearing the big plastic earrings, spraying half a bottle of aquanet hairspray on my head while hanging upside down to get maximum height, and wearing horrible colors of eyeshadow, bright blue eyeliner, and frosted light pink/almost white lipstick/gloss.

Wow, I bow to you Queen of the 80's!! :clap: That is really hardcore! I don't think those of us who graduated after '90 can ever really compete with the "80's-ness" of the girls who graduated between '81-'89. :rotfl:

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Ok, I want to address to many of you on here, but instead I'll just have two windows up & respond!!

1st LOVE this thread! It brings back so many great memories!

Kycha-regarding all those wonderfully bad former celebrity reality shows, I for one am I huge fan & get sucked right into the TV every week! Regular reality shows, not so much...but get Marsha Brady trying to lose weight on VH1 or Pumpkin (from Flav of Love) trying to become a lady I'm sooooo there! And I'm glued! Sad but true. And those girls on Brett's show...wow...I can't help but laugh & cry for them!

LuvMyBoys -TOTALLY forgot the rolled jeans! Or pinning them to get the EXTRA TIGHT look on the ankles! That was sweet! My mom taught me to run the saftey pin through my hair for easier pinning!! It worked!! I also very much enjoyed Guess jeans & the stone washed jeans...where there would be actual stones in the pockets! Crazy!!

nolacindy-What are pegged jeans??

And my dear bartleby-How I do agree & bow down! Anyone who tries to DEFY gravity in the order of hair fashion deserves the Crown! All Hail Bartleby!

LuvMyBoys
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
A few more for us princesses of the 80's:

-gel bracelets (you know the little ones and you would wear like 15 of them!)

-wearing several pairs of slouch socks at once, in different colors to match your outfit

-wearing nylons and slouch socks, you know to make it look like you had a great tan :rotfl:

-neon everything! I had a neon green fleece coat that I thought was too cool!

-Growing Pains, The Facts of Life, The Cosby Show, and so many more

-plastic charm necklaces with clip on charms

linanglab
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
In my area, we always wore the slouched socks OVER our stirrip pants. Or we wore NO socks with our safety pinned jeans.

And did I LOVE the purple and pink eye shadow! What were we thinking????

Did everyone wear the Flashdance look? The oversized sweater with the tight leggings underneath...I loved that look (it is sort of coming back now, in a way). You could be bloated and no one would know....

And early in the 80's there was the monogrammed sweaters.

And boy did I love Richie from....what is that show???? OH! Richie Rich! (When I was 6th grade)

Angela

Hannahsmom
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
You know what is irritating? When I had the bod to wear skimpy, revealing clothing, what was in style? Boxey, shapeless, oversize clothes!?!?!! Don't get me wrong, I loved my leggings and big sweaters. But it would have been nice to flaunt it while I had it.....

ETA: And the purple and pink eye shadow.....if you didn't know how to properly apply the stuff you looked like you had been in a bar fight!! Especially with the heavy under eye black eyeliner. God I loved that stuff!!

LuvMyBoys
07-31-2007, 03:25 PM
How about the long sweaters with the big belts!! And stirrup pants, how could I forget those!! :rotfl:

I LOVED Ricky Schroeder, still do (the Whiskey Lullaby video has been played many, many times on my computer!!) :)

Kycha
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
My style in the 80's was kinda funky/punk/new wave. I would wear a diaper pin as an earring. My favorite outfit was a sweatshirt that was really just a hole with strips of fabric and diaper pins(of course) holding it together. How about leg warmers and big chunky jewelry. Or the Michael Jackson look. I had the great ability to combine different styles. I even had the fingerless glove on one hand, but in bright yellow neon!! Matched perfectly with my yellow neon sweatervest. Man, I was styling in the 80's:rotfl:

coastalgirl
07-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I lived in Dallas in the 80's and our hair was HUGE!!!
Anybody remember the Swatch watches(particulary the ones with the scented bands)! And penny loafers!:rotfl:

Lydia

nolacindy
07-31-2007, 04:08 PM
nolacindy-What are pegged jeans??

!

Its were you fold over the hem of your pants as tight as you can then roll them up two or three times. It made them tight at the bottom but still loose everywhere else.

I almost forgot about legwarmers!

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Its were you fold over the hem of your pants as tight as you can then roll them up two or three times. It made them tight at the bottom but still loose everywhere else.

I almost forgot about legwarmers!

OMG! We did that, I just never knew it had a name!! Heck...that was also a 90s thing where I was from too!! :rotfl:

Kittykat
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Ohmigawd. :rotfl:

Class of '91 here. What I remember:

Eastlands
Swatch Watches
Jamz
Converse
Tight-rolled jeans
Big tunic shirts with a brooch pinned at the neck
Giant silver purses
Coca-Cola rugby shirts
Outback Red shirts with a million teeny-tiny buttons down the front
Aqua Net and bangs so high that Jesus could sit on them
Friendship bracelets made from embroidery floss

I loveloveLOVED the Brat Pack movies from the 80's. Plus The Outsiders, Red Dawn, The Last Dragon...oh good grief...I could go on and on.

Those were the days. :rotfl:

sammielynn
07-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I was way ahead of you girls in the graduation department. But I do remember all of those things. But reading this made me realize that I was out of High School before some of you were born. Great memories but now I feel real old:(

I was in college in the 70's and man you talk about weird things. At least with big hair you were clean, part of the 70's people were unwashed! Glad my Mom taught me to keep clean.

linanglab
07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Do you all remember the barrets with the long ribbons? I use to wear those in elementary school. My Mom made me some in every color!

And I had PLENTY of mini skirts to go along with my BIG sweaters! I would just add the rubber bracelet thing to my ankle and I was ready to go!

And don't forget the BEAUTIFUL skinny ties that the boys wore, and...uh...if I remember right, MANY girls wore them with the white button shirt with the skirt that had the big belt.

And I LOVED my pin striped jeans!!!! I thought I was so cool....

Angela

3dog2kidmom
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
:rotfl: OMG Shelly...I couldnt help but say this...I am so sorry in advance....That was the year I was born.

Brat! :rotfl: (just kidding!)

My BIL was born in 1981 so I hear plenty of grief about that, LOL.

ItsmeSunnyV
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Brat! :rotfl: (just kidding!)

My BIL was born in 1981 so I hear plenty of grief about that, LOL.

LOL! Im Sorry dear, I just had to do it. lol. My Step dad graduated in the 80's as well, and I am constantly teasing him about it. The cool thing is, if a good 80's song comes on, we both start singing at the top of our lungs, and my mom just shakes her head at us. LOL. She's a bit older than him. lol

3dog2kidmom
07-31-2007, 08:52 PM
LOL! Im Sorry dear, I just had to do it. lol. My Step dad graduated in the 80's as well, and I am constantly teasing him about it. The cool thing is, if a good 80's song comes on, we both start singing at the top of our lungs, and my mom just shakes her head at us. LOL. She's a bit older than him. lol

Too funny. We have quite the generation gap here... my DH just a couple of months younger than I, but his sis is 9 years younger at 34 and her DH (the BIL) is 9 years younger at 25. I am actually older than his mom!

speechteachri
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
My 'crying over breakups' song was Almost Paradise..the love song from Footloose. ahhh...Kevin Bacon....:heart:

I do remember this one, but I also remember Total Eclipse of the Heart (the name of the artist is escaping me right now) and Missing You (by jon Waite)

My style in the 80's was kinda funky/punk/new wave. I would wear a diaper pin as an earring. My favorite outfit was a sweatshirt that was really just a hole with strips of fabric and diaper pins(of course) holding it together. How about leg warmers and big chunky jewelry. Or the Michael Jackson look. I had the great ability to combine different styles. I even had the fingerless glove on one hand, but in bright yellow neon!! Matched perfectly with my yellow neon sweatervest. Man, I was styling in the 80's:rotfl:

Wow...you were hard core!!!

I remember having a slumber party and all of us dancing around like crazy to my newest ALBUM...Thriller!!!!

mamalori
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Class of 83 here! The eighties were awesome! I remember all of the above and what about wearing mini skirts with lacy ankle socks and high heels!! Just like the ZZ Top video "Legs"!!

arob414
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I was way ahead of you girls in the graduation department. But I do remember all of those things. But reading this made me realize that I was out of High School before some of you were born. Great memories but now I feel real old:(

I was in college in the 70's and man you talk about weird things. At least with big hair you were clean, part of the 70's people were unwashed! Glad my Mom taught me to keep clean.

Sammielyn, I'm a 70's girl, too. Graduated from college in '79. Went from mini skirts to maxi's with midi's in between. I was so into wearing high heels, everyday to college. LOL, now I have been a nurse, for yrs, and I am all into comfort.:rotfl:

Magical JenK
08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
OH yes! Swatch Watches! We used those to show if you were going out w/a guy! If you were, you'd wear his Swatch!! Too funny!

Come on, we can't forget Cabbage Patch Kids!!

linanglab
08-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I used to have a lemon twist that I played with ALL the time. Why that was fun I am not so sure why....

And I had the heels with the cute little socks and my mini skirt. To accessorize, the big earrings and all the bracelets. Then my BIG scrunchie to try to keep some of my BIG hair out of my face. Those were the days...

Angela

LuvMyBoys
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
We forgot about side ponytails, how could we forget those!! :)

(Apologies if some of you are still wearing your hair that way! :rotfl: )

coastalgirl
08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Ahh the heeled granny boots with socks and mini skirts! What were we thinking :rotfl:
Glam rock- what girl doesn't love a guy wearing more make up than her!
MTV's Headbanger's Ball
And roller skating and warehouse parties.The guys with bands would rent these warehouses and throw parties inside them. I guess now a days they would call it a rave.
This thread makes me feel old. Especially since my oldest is a senior this year! Scary!

Lydia

chipndale
08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=speechteachri;25466]I do remember this one, but I also remember Total Eclipse of the Heart (the name of the artist is escaping me right now)

It is Bonnie Tyler and I loved that song.

mollyeilis
08-03-2007, 12:59 PM
I think whenever there's a thread like this, one must define "growing up in the" decade before proceeding. teehee

My mom was graduated in, hmm, '62, got married, move to San Francisco, and was LIVING the 60s. I was born in SF in 1969 when she was 25. She embodied the hippie concept.

My stepmom was 10 years younger, and FELT like she was a hippie, but...she just wasn't. :p She was in Jr and early HS, and it was a fashion, not a lifestyle, for her.

Though interestingly, my stepmom is still very hippie-like, while my mom had morphed into a fancier sort of person (mainly b/c she was working for the gov't...which is a whole other amusing concept, passing all those background checks from the wild people she knew back then) in her last years.

I graduated HS in '87, and while I never did the big hair (my hair is curly and my face looks AWFUL with bangs, so I just went with the modified bob of Kelly McGillis in Top Gun, and that actually still works for me), I definitely had a Madonna thing going on.

Could never find THE shoes for the heels + socks thing....I would only have done it if I could find the shoes she wore in Borderline (or the shoes in Let's Dance), but I never could, so I refused. I'm stubborn like that.

Are you my friend named Debbie? :) Sounds just like her, but well into the 90s in grad school. :p

There were quite a few people at my school with your style. I was always envious of the confidence it must have taken to do that.

gshanny
08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
My sister found a keychain that has something like 6 sayings from 16 Candles. I think I will have to buy one for me though. I love so many movies from that time, but that seems to be one of the ones I really liked more. I still go around saying 'what's happening hot stuff' in an accent. I adapted the 'hey sexy girlfriend' for my own use. When a light bulb goes out I holler at DH, 'hey sexy light bulb man'. He then asks which room because he knows it is useless to try to make me stop saying it.lol
I was beyond tired the other night, but forced myself to stay awake long enough to see her walk into the prom in Pretty In Pink.
My teen DD resists my teachings now, but 11 yo DS is still willing to put up with my music and quizzing him on who is singing. He turned into a big Queen fan and had to have their hits CD for his Birthday. I am sure he will resist me soon too though.~sigh~
Oh, Class of 87 here.

jnorth1007
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Well I was the class of 89. I had big hair, really big hair, parachute pants, guess jeans, Kswiss shoes or black ankle high boots, MC hammer pants, and most of those other things. Because I graduated so close to the nineties we had the best of both eras LOL. We were Madonna, Duran Duran, Heart, George Michaels, Boy George, and many many more. We dressed like Flashdance some days and Footloose on others. This was also the time of a brand called Units, anyone remember them? Basically a bunch of sashes and cloth sacks that the sashes bunched up everywhere. I had a million of those sash belts that I wore 5 at a time in every color so that my whole outfit matched. We pinched our jeans and pants at the ankles. This combined with the MC hammer pants made us look like we had huge a**es LOL but we didnt care because we could do "the hammer". We also wore concert tshirts. See it depended on the week if we were the punks from Valley Girl or the valley girls from Valley Girl. LOL just depended on our mood and where were going. What a great walk down memory lane. Thank goodness out tastes have changed. Oh yea, one last thing, remember the movement where we all wore studded and bejeweled everything????

saikai
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Class of 86 here! I love all things 80's, to my DH's dismay. Scott Baio is still a dreamboat. He doesn't look as if he has aged a day. Now, Brett Michaels looks like he needs to get a refund from his plastic surgeon. His skin looks a little too tight, you know. And what is up with his hair. I swear he is wearing a wig. And what is up with those women? I guess they don't care that they all look(and act)ridiculous. But I guess some people will do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame(ie New York, Flavor of Love). I can't help watching them though. Its like a train wreck.

I have been thinking the same thing about Bret's hair! It looks so fake. Those women cannot be for real. I hope not anyway!

bs4free
08-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow after just reading everyone of your posts, all i can say is WHERE are the PHOTOS!!!

I was Born in the 80's and I loved growing up with all of the great cartoon shows of the lat 80's and early 90's. Ghostbusters, smurf, the Disney Afternoon, Ducktales, Darkwane Duck, Tail Spin, Fraggle Rock, Scooby-doo's... And Many More, Great Movies, too!

DisneyMa
08-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Oh, I loved the 80's!! Like I was a total fan, okay? :D

I am (as any responsible parent would) teaching my three daughters the way of 80's music. They are becoming proficient in G-n-R, Poison, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Metallica, Def Leppard, etc. Right now DD7 is in love with Rick Allen from Def Leppard. She wants to be a drummer and saw him with only one arm and she was amazed!!

I remember doing my make-up like Boy George. I loved the way he did his eyes. Oh, and Calvin jeans. As op mentioned, so tight you would lay down on your bed and use a coat hanger to zip them up! Now (thankfully) my jeans have a little stretch to them!!:rotfl: