PDA

View Full Version : Book Suggestions

SunshineGirl
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I've been checking out Janet's Book Nook (http://www.sheneedstoknow.com/booknook) and thinking about what books I need to read next. Thankfully, SR's busiest weeks will be behind us pretty soon and I will actually have time to read again. I'm finished with the Twilight Series (obviously) and have one book left in the Shopaholic series (the movie comes out next year??). What other series would you recommend that is hot these days?

m 'n c
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Well it isn't necessarily hot yet but I think movie rights have been sold. If you liked the Shopaholic books the Queen of Babble series (3 books) were a pretty fun read for me while I was sick this weekend. Meg Cabot is the author (the one that wrote the Princess Diaries books for tweens). Some of it was over the top I will admit but overall a nice, light read. A few filthy words in there but overall clean like the Shopaholic books and she stays out of bedroom scenes which I like.

I also like anything written by Cecelia Ahern (PS I Love You, etc). I've read all of her books and haven't been disappointed in any of them.

Hedy
12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Have you read Harry Potter? You might want to pick up the Tales of Beetle the Baird.

bbangel
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Charlaine Harris has a couple of series that I find quite interesting.

jnorth1007
12-10-2008, 04:16 PM
I have considered reading the Charlaine Harris series but I need a break from vampires right now LOL

I also have considered reading the Harry Potter books since I have never read any of them and I haven't even seen half the movies. I just don't know if I have it in me right now but I bet we could do a great discussion on those.

I have read the Nora Roberts series that has Black Lily and 2 others (I can't remember them off the top of my head) but I really enjoyed that series a lot and it got me to get her book Tribute that just came out. We will see.

Besides that I could really stand to read something good too.

sselig2000
12-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I felt the same way about the Harry Potter books, but I gotta tell ya, you will love every minute of them. Honestly, If you haven't read them yet, ya gotta:)

bbangel
12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I haven't read any of the vampire series, but I like her Aurora Teagarden and "Grave" series.

askomsky
12-10-2008, 05:08 PM
i gotta agree on the HP books. It took my friend 3 yrs of " I promise their not kids books, you'll love them, they suck you in" for me to finally gave in. She gave me the first 4 books and I had the first 3 read in 3 wks. Luckily by the time I read them I was able to read all 6 and only had to wait for the 7th which was a long wait. Janet for YOU of all people they are must reads!

Sorry to hijack the thread Tricia....

I just bought Tales of Beatle Bard (JK Rowlings wrote it about the 7th HP book) and I also have been reading Inkheart with DS. I just bought Inkdeath and already have inkspell.

I'm just not starting the Twlight series. Ok I haven't started yet but will once the holiday craziness slows down. I have 1 and 2 already here.

What type of books are you interested in?
I like books with the same character in each book. Have you read any of Jonathan Kellerman? He uses a child phychatrist in each of his books, their mysteries but very good! I've read all of his AND his wife Faye Kellereman. She uses a Police Srgt and his Jewish wife in each one of her's. They both have at least a dozen or more titles out. Their my "candy" books really no brainer just want a good story. On that same line I like Patricia Cornwells and John Sanfords too.

Sunni
12-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh Janet...you will love the Harry Potter series. I will read them with you. I read the series once a year usually in the summer. I need to get the new book that Heather said.

I only just finished the Twilight Series and loved it. Now I have one of my good friends reading it now. :)

Tricia...let us know what you decide on please. You all have such great ideas.

fourfoxesinpa
12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Not a series, but if you enjoy Shopoholic series, you would enjoy reading anything by Jane Green. That Brit-Chick-Lit genre is always a lot of fun. And, I've started the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Fun, fast, mindless reading.

jnorth1007
12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is my other concern with Harry Potter. I realized while reading Twilight that I don't like books or series with so many characters. It made me crazy trying to keep up with all those "people".

askomsky
12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Here is my other concern with Harry Potter. I realized while reading Twilight that I don't like books or series with so many characters. It made me crazy trying to keep up with all those "people".

Understandable BUT there are only 3 that you really have to keep track off and believe you me JK does an awesome job. Her writing is just unbelievable.

I never go back to re-read books, finding out what happens is all the fun and when I find out it's not worth me going back to re-read but like Marilyn HP series is one I've gone back and re-read MANY, MANY times. There is just so much that I enjoy reading them EVERY time I pick it up. I'm reading 4 with DS right now and am loving it!
The only other book I've ever re-read and still do once in a while is To Kill a Mockingbird, that was my favorite in HS.

jnorth1007
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Well then I guess after Christmas I am going to have to look in to buying them and start working through them. I will be sure to do a book club discussion on each if I do that. I found I enjoyed Twilight much more because I was able to discuss them with everyone else and get a different point of view.

I also LOVE To Kill A Mockingbird. It is my all time favorite. I could read it over and over and I even enjoy the black and white movie too just not as much as the book.

askomsky
12-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Well then I guess after Christmas I am going to have to look in to buying them and start working through them. I will be sure to do a book club discussion on each if I do that. I found I enjoyed Twilight much more because I was able to discuss them with everyone else and get a different point of view.

I also LOVE To Kill A Mockingbird. It is my all time favorite. I could read it over and over and I even enjoy the black and white movie too just not as much as the book.

Same here I have to watch it when it comes on!

My MOMS Club used to hold a HP chat once a month or every other month bc we would/could ALWAYS find something new/different to talk about.

I think she is just amazing. Not only is she the 2nd richest woman in the world but to have created a series for everyone of ALL ages to inspire people to put down electronics for a few hours and devour a book.
When my friend and I went to the store to pick up our 7th book we went to B&N the next morning. The night before the news showed kids, teenagers etc waiting till midnight to get the book but when we went at 9am the next morning I swear there were people lined up outside ages 9-79!

I remember reading an article Stephen King wrote in Entertainment Weekly and he really hit the nail on the head. That weekend in July when the final book was released people of ages including teenagers stopped everything they were doing to read a book of 900+ pages. Teenagers were texting eachother don't bother me now I'm reading.

Yes I am a huge fan of her and the series because she has done what all authors dream of.... create a masterpiece that EVERYONE can and will enjoy!

I will say the first 2 are definitely geared toward the tween mindset the 3 started going towards the older crowd and 4 got a little darker but by then she had everyone hook, line and sinker. When I was finally convinced to read the books I actually watched the first movie and that was interesting enough for me to pick up the book. While I LOVE watching the movies by they get to teh 3rd one you miss SO MUCH if you don't read the book. DH gets frustrated watching them with me, bc I'm like no that didn't happen that way etc.

Ok I'm done, but I really think you (especially you!) need to read them! :D

~Kathie
12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I have read the Nora Roberts series that has Black Lily and 2 others (I can't remember them off the top of my head) but I really enjoyed that series a lot and it got me to get her book Tribute that just came out. We will see.

It the In the Garden Series and I loved it
1. Blue Dahlia
2. Black Rose
3. Red Lily

I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts....I've read most of her books. I recently bought the complete collection (16-20 books) of the In Death Series (Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb) on ebay. Can't wait to get started on that!

Her latest trilogy is The Sign of Seven Trilogy

1. Blood Brothers
2. The Hollow
3. The Pagan Stone which was just released in paperback.

If you like good vs. evil with romance thrown in books, this is a good series to read.

I've been reading books by Iris Johansen, Lisa Gardner and Lisa Scottoline. All mystery writers with romance thrown in.

Has anyone every read Charade by Sandra Brown?? It's an oldie and one of those I was up all night reading. :angel: Still one of my favorite books.

missymouse
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I have read aloud the HP series 1-5 three times
6 and 7 one time.

I started with my daughter and then read them to my two sons. They insist that I read them out loud because I do the voices and they enjoy that. DD16 even has listened to them all in her case all three times. Gilderoy is my favorite voice and it cracks the kids up everytime.

jnorth1007
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
It the In the Garden Series and I loved it
1. Blue Dahlia
2. Black Rose
3. Red Lily

I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts....I've read most of her books. I recently bought the complete collection (16-20 books) of the In Death Series (Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb) on ebay. Can't wait to get started on that!

Her latest trilogy is The Sign of Seven Trilogy

1. Blood Brothers
2. The Hollow
3. The Pagan Stone which was just released in paperback.

If you like good vs. evil with romance thrown in books, this is a good series to read.

I've been reading books by Iris Johansen, Lisa Gardner and Lisa Scottoline. All mystery writers with romance thrown in.

Has anyone every read Charade by Sandra Brown?? It's an oldie and one of those I was up all night reading. :angel: Still one of my favorite books.

Yes Kathie that is the series. I loved that one and I wished it wouldn't have ended. I haven't been able to get in to here JD Robb books. I have one that I started two years ago and I grab it when I have nothing else to read and I still haven't gotten very far in it. I can't really tell you why.

SunshineGirl
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
You all just about have me sold on Harry Potter.

askomsky
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::cooldance:
Anytime we can get someone to read it for the first time I get excited!
I don't want to know what you think about the series until your through at least 3 if not 4 of the books! lol

Sunni
12-11-2008, 08:52 AM

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::cooldance:
Anytime we can get someone to read it for the first time I get excited!
I don't want to know what you think about the series until your through at least 3 if not 4 of the books! lol

Yah! I so agree!

To Kill a Mocking Bird is great....the only other book I reread..except for Holiday/Christmas books(just like music) is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I think that the Twilight series will be on my reread list too.

Well, you all have me so excited. :banana: Thanks for that! Isn't great what books can do............I was reading to my grandson and also telling him about all the fun and great places he will be able to go when we read. :)