PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

Kittykat
08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Just got off the phone with CRO paying off our September trip and on a lark, decided to double check that we had insured our trip. Well, guess what? The CM had no record of insurance being added to our package. :computer:

So now I'm wondering if I should call back and add it to our package (can I even do that?!) or go through the insurance link at Mousesavers.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? We are going during the peak of hurricane season AND we live on the Gulf Coast...so if there's a hurricane heading our way we may have to cancel.

*fingers crossed that won't happen*

I've also read that if you call and cancel your existing vacation and re-book you won't lose any money. Confirm/deny?

I am panicking! I need someone to tell me what to do and how to do it!!:confused:

jnorth1007
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I have never bought travel insurance but that doesnt mean it isnt good to have. I was a little concerned the year of Katrina since I am in the new orleans area and I wasnt sure we would be able to make it but we did. If Im not mistaken I have heard that if you have to cancel because of hurricanes they will in fact reschedule your trip. I think if I had flights I would probably get it but since we drive I dont really see the point.

Kittykat
08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Janet. Your post made it a little easier for me to breathe. :p

My real concern (in fact, my ONLY concern) is hurricane season.

I've been poking around the travel insurance sites and see that you can get insurance for around $100. Unfortunately, most of the information is written in insurance-speak. Ugh, why do they make it so hard to decipher what they're saying?!

I'll probably pick up insurance just in case. I'm so paranoid this time, I have to add that we've never bought insurance for a Disney trip in the past--so this is a whole new experience for me.

ravensdreamer
08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I never bought insurance until our Disney trip last year and it was probably the best money I spent merely for the piece of mind. My father was unwell when we left and I had a great fear of having to cut the vacation short and flee in a moments notice. We did not thank God, however it gave me peace of mind that all would not be lost if it did occur.

It also covered travel interruption, the never wanted complete cancellation..and a no one wants to think about life insurance that covers your party from the time you leave home until your safe arrival home. It's the last thing you want to think about prior to travel I know......but it also gave me additional peace of mind that I had taken all precautions that I could to make sure that our trip would be as protected as possible....and fortunately we needed none of it. My dad says insurance is bought for the hope you won't need it...lol. Have a safe and wonderful trip.

LYNN

m 'n c
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I got travel insurance through my cc for my trip in Sept 2005. It was like $30 for all my expenses. I think it has since gone up but I think last time I priced trip insurance it was around $70 through amex.

I know the odds are usually against you needing insurance but I liked having the piece of mind.

llgray16
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
If you really want travel insurance check out www.insuremytrip.com Much cheaper rates that getting it thru Disney.

Kittykat
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
If you really want travel insurance check out www.insuremytrip.com Much cheaper rates that getting it thru Disney.

I purchased a plan through them last night. :cooldance:

Thanks so much everyone, your advice was SO helpful!