PDA

View Full Version : SmileyCentral

SunshineGirl
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Be very careful if you come across this offer or a link anywhere. SunshineCindy's computer crashed yesterday and she had to pay a tech $55 today to get it back up and running. Turns out that SmileyCentral had installed something on her system that was overloading it and closing down her email and browser.

I know there is a temptation to download a toolbar or screensaver or whatever for an easy dollar. But not at the risk of 1) having to pay someone to fix your computer, or 2) screwing up your cookies so that you never get credit for any offers.

(Cindy didn't actually even intentionally download anything from them. She isn't even sure how she got to their site. If you ever click on a link on my site and it takes you to SmileyCentral or Screensavers.com, PLEASE let me know!)

Lucinda
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

Tantor
05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the warning!!

jnorth1007
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up because I am just the type to hit enter and download something without knowing it. :rotfl:

sunshinecindy
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, take it from me, watch. I don't have a clue where it came from, but I constantly check through the offers and get into stuff, so who knows. Just becareful clicking. I'm back up again, but not fully. Computer going back in tomorrow for another check up.

m 'n c
05-10-2007, 12:36 AM
I've noticed that a lot of these toolbars have spyware attached because my laptop (work issued of course) goes nuts when I click on a link with virus/spyware warnings and cancels the download. I've learned to just stay away because you are right Tricia - its not worth it.

missymagic
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Same here i am on the computer mostly at work and I can't download any of those things. Have to turn off security etc...not worth it...but I will watch when I am at home...thank you for sharing the problem

m 'n c
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Big Bump!

OhMari
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I clicked on a coupon site, downloaded and took over my computer, luckily I caught the downloading and was able to cancel and get it out of my computer. It wasn't from Sunshine's, but the Budget Board on the DIS. It was signing up for some free item, and at the bottom it had a box checked and when I went to the give my info for the freebie and clicked continue, this is when I noticed the downloading. So always be careful on the bottom of pages of any freebies.

athoods
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just got mine back today for a fee of 115 75 to reconfigure and then 40 to save my itunes and photos, dropped it off Friday because decktop wouldn't come up. Some virus not sure which but the tech said that twitter nad facebook and youtube are currently being flooded with virus. I have grewt virus protection but still got hit, first time in 11 years but still got hit and was able to same system. I have heard that some crash the whole systems.:eek:

sammielynn
08-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Everytime I am on the forum, I get this message: This website wants to run the followig add-on:"CouponPrinter.ocx' from Coupons, Inc. If you want the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here......

This does not seem like a good thing to me.

m 'n c
08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Everytime I am on the forum, I get this message: This website wants to run the followig add-on:"CouponPrinter.ocx' from Coupons, Inc. If you want the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here......

This does not seem like a good thing to me.

Well coupons.com Tricia has tested and it is fine. I'm not sure where that message is coming from though as I haven't seen it before. Maybe just a precaution from your antivirus software?