PDA

View Full Version : Disney Mgm Is Dead!!!!!

bs4free
08-09-2007, 04:57 PM
THIS JUST IN FROM ALLEARSNET.com

On With the (Even Bigger) Show! New Name, More Magic to Transform Disney Theme Park

New Attractions, Experiences at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Aug. 9, 2007) -- In the Walt Disney World theme park famous for all things Hollywood, it's curtain up on the launch of new attractions, new looks, new breakthrough experiences...

...and a brand-new name.

Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios, effective January 2008, announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," she said.

Framed by the park's supporting cast of classic Hollywood architecture are shows and attractions straight from contemporary Hollywood, such as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" and many more. Disney's Hollywood Studios is also the place to meet favorite character stars of today including Lightning McQueen and Mater from Disney-Pixar's "Cars," Power Rangers and Little Einsteins.

With exciting coming attractions and experiences, the best and brightest of Hollywood is about to emerge for park guests, Crofton said.

"As Disney continues to grow and invest in our family entertainment business, we constantly explore new ways to deliver high-quality, immersive experiences for our guests," she added. "As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before. Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name."

New Attractions, Experiences

* Toy Story Mania! Guests get sporty in a new, interactive "Toy Story" competition inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story" films and hosted by characters like they've never before experienced. Past a queuing area featuring a giant Mr. Potato Head, guests grab 3-D glasses, board fanciful ride vehicles and zip into a world of exciting midway-style games hosted by many of their favorite "Toy Story" characters including Woody, Hamm and Rex. Once inside "Andy's Toy Box," the competition heats up. Who can rack up the most points? Using spring-action shooters, guests launch darts at balloons, rings at aliens, eggs at whimsical barnyard targets. Toy Story Mania! takes the interactive ride-game experience to infinity -- and beyond. (summer 2008)

* "Block Party Bash." Play, party and dance as the Disney-Pixar Film Pals present "Block Party Bash," the wildest, most interactive parade in Disney history. New to Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Block Party Bash" will invite guests to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney-Pixar Film Pals fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle will feature favorite characters from "The Incredibles," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "A Bug's Life." (spring 2008, replaces "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" parade)

* "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" A whole new cast of friends from Playhouse Disney fills the popular Playhouse Disney stage. Children will be on their feet singing, clapping and dancing to performing stars from "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Little Einsteins," "Handy Manny" and more. ("Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" will be dark most of January 2008, reopens February 2008)

* "Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out!" With new songs and a rollicking new spirit, the Disney Channel Original Movie "High School Musical 2" comes to life on the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is interactive fun as high-energy performers on a traveling stage invite all ages to catch Wildcat fever by singing and dancing. (fall 2007, replaces "High School Musical Pep Rally")

* Meet and Greet Adds Handy Manny. And what would a Disney theme park be without characters? Disney's Hollywood Studios is center stage for character meet and greets. Disney Channel stars JoJo and Goliath and the Little Einsteins welcome guests in the Animation Courtyard next to "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" and will be joined for the first time by Handy Manny later this year. (November 2007)

Part of the Disney's Hollywood Studios magic includes events for which the park is famous. To a stellar lineup including ABC Super Soap Weekend, the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, ESPN the Weekend and Star Wars Weekends, the park reprises the Playhouse Disney in Concert series with dynamic concerts and special entertainment for little ones.

Headliners include favorite children's acts The Doodlebops, Imagination Movers, Dan Zanes and Friends, and Johnny and the Sprites. The fun happens on select dates Aug. 30-Oct. 28, 2007, during Little Ones Travel Time in a 10,000 square foot, air-conditioned performance venue. For the complete show schedule: disneyworld.com/pdic.

In addition, holidays at Disney's Hollywood Studios will have a special sparkle this year as the park hosts the Harlem Gospel Choir Nov. 30-Dec. 25, 2007.

"This is easily one of the most ambitious attractions rollouts in the 18-year history of the park," Crofton said. "With so many great coming attractions, we are thrilled to be launching a Studios year unlike any other. Wrapped in a brand-new name...Disney's Hollywood Studios."

So What do you all THINK!!!!!

gshanny
08-09-2007, 05:15 PM
They can call it they want. We will call it what we want.
We have called it MGM for too long in my family. It sounds neat they are adding some new things.
In the end it will still be a park we go to and have a good time in.

Hedy
08-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm not surprised. But I've been known to plan things at "Epcot Center", so I'll probably still call it MGM occaisonally.
Block party bash should be awesome-I loved it at DCA.

SunshineGirl
08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
It seems like I saw them calling it this at some point in the last year? I remember DH and I remarking on how it was strange.

bs4free
08-09-2007, 05:39 PM
It seems like I saw them calling it this at some point in the last year? I remember DH and I remarking on how it was strange.

Mabey Disney Was testing the name out! to see how it was liked!

Good old Epcot Center 07 Great place!

I too liked the old Epcot Center YEAR name and will also be calling Disney X Studios MGM in the future.

I do belive disney was also testing out just Disney Studios!

All of the changes are mostly for the better at mgm, however I hope they do not play to remove the earful tower or the chinees movie theater with the great movie ride or update the great movie ride too much! Leave it a Classic!

kimntrent
08-10-2007, 12:47 AM
MGM has been out of the picture for quite some time. They have been slowly changing it over. It will always be MGM to me though.

Kim

Mom2aPrincess
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
It will take me a while to get used to this change too and I'm sure I'll call it MGM for a long time....But hey...gives me a reason to go back, right? It'll be "new"

Hate to hear about High School Musical pep rally..I know they are replacing with with another hsm show, but my little one is soo looking forward to the wildcat pep rally.

m 'n c
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I think last year they were calling it Disney's Studios or something to that effect without the MGM part. It will always be MGM to me. The parade sounds fun though.

bartleby1
08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
It doesn't matter what they decide to call it, I'll probably still call it MGM, lol! Right along with the wedway people mover and the communicores...

I just can't seem to get used to new names for the same attractions.:confused:

I am glad to see some new life being added to MGM though!

bs4free
08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
It doesn't matter what they decide to call it, I'll probably still call it MGM, lol! Right along with the wedway people mover and the communicores...

I just can't seem to get used to new names for the same attractions.:confused:

I am glad to see some new life being added to MGM though!

Yeah I liked the old names, of WEDway People mover, and hte Communicorer,, Wish i could have visited back when they were called that! they had many neat attractions at the communicorer then they have in inoventions east and west today, Not that inoventions is not fun!

Some things are classics, and the names most often do not need to be changed, updated, or tooled with!

tweety129s
08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I can't wait to see the new Toy Story Ride!

chocovrdmicears
08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to see the new Toy Story Ride!

Me too! We are HUGE Toy Story fans...I think MGM (how long can I call it that?) had the best parade (besides Spectromagic:heart: )...but the new one sounds awesome.

tommygirl79
08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Hate to hear about High School Musical pep rally..I know they are replacing with with another hsm show, but my little one is soo looking forward to the wildcat pep rally.

I had the same reaction - it seems silly to me to start the "School's Out" show as school is just starting up again. :confused: Seems like they would ride the pep rally out until next spring and then keep the HSM train rolling with the new show then. I wonder exactly when they are changing the show - for right now, I'd rather see the pep rally too - maybe that will change after I've seen the new movie. However, thanks to Radio Disney, I now have "School's Out" memorized and I still like the origianl HSM songs better, but we'll see!!!

No matter what, we leave in 32 days and we're just about bouncing off the walls (DH and I that is)...I think we're way more excited than the girls even...

bs4free
08-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I had the same reaction - it seems silly to me to start the "School's Out" show as school is just starting up again. :confused: Seems like they would ride the pep rally out until next spring and then keep the HSM train rolling with the new show then. I wonder exactly when they are changing the show - for right now, I'd rather see the pep rally too - maybe that will change after I've seen the new movie. However, thanks to Radio Disney, I now have "School's Out" memorized and I still like the origianl HSM songs better, but we'll see!!!

No matter what, we leave in 32 days and we're just about bouncing off the walls (DH and I that is)...I think we're way more excited than the girls even...

They are most likely making the switch sooner and not latter because of the release of HSM2. They wanted to keep it all tied in! Out with the old, time to buy all the new! That would be my guess for not waiting till next summer when School's OUT!

speechteachri
08-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I will probably still refer to it as MGM just out of habit, but, yes...on our recent trip it was always referred to as Disney Studios. I think this has been in the works for a while. I think they do need a new opening show! I think the changes sound good. They need to continue to switch things up a bit to continue to get everyone coming back and not getting bored after all.

As long as they don't do away with Fantasmic or RRC, I'm good with it!

bs4free
08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
As long as they don't do away with Fantasmic or RRC, I'm good with it!

I think it would be a long long time before they went away! They are both only around 10 years old right now, and i am sure they are still writing off part of the cost of building them! I dont know of many E-Ticket attractions that have gone by the wayside! so I think we are safe in keeping RRC! the Fantasmic! well its a great show, that might change, but they built it it very own section of the park, I do think it will be here for years to come!

dreamer13079
08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I know sometimes it is hard to let go of the name MGM but I am excited that in the end it will probably be a better experience going to the park. I do love MGM but the things our kids love the most are Disney Attractions anyway.

tghamilton
08-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I am so excited about this!! I have little ones, 19 months and just over 3 years and they LOVE Playhouse Disney - wait - did I say they LOVE Playhouse Disney??? I personally want to have my pic with Handy Manny - maybe I have the hots for latino handy men. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And Toy Story - Love It!! :cooldance:

CindyS
08-23-2007, 12:27 PM
I doubt we'll be able to call it anything but MGM for a long time. It's DS13's favorite park. All my kids are excited about the Toy Story ride. We're going next June, so hopefully we'll get to see all the new stuff. :)