PDA

View Full Version : Tonsil Surgery

linanglab
01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Please keep Bethany in your prayers this morning. At 9:30 we are getting her tonsils out. I know...minor surgery. But you all understand about mothers and their children! LOL Prayers are appreciated! Thanks!

Sunni
01-19-2009, 07:29 AM
:hugs: Angela :hugs: I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. At 9:30 I will especially sent out some good thoughts your way. Please keep us updated.

askomsky
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Many prayers Angela, I'm sure she'll be just fine, but just in case.. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

disney_girl
01-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Definitely praying for Bethany and you! Minor or not, it's always difficult for us Mothers!:hugs:

speechteachri
01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Prayers for an easy surgery and quick recovery!!!:hugs:

3dog2kidmom
01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
:hugs: for you and Bethany. Let us know how it goes when you can. :hugs:

Magical JenK
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
:hugs::hugs::hugs:
Thinking about you guys today!

sammielynn
01-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Praying for you!

jakeandsophiesmom
01-19-2009, 10:25 AM
:hugs: Thinking of Bethany and you! Hope the surgery goes well and the recovery is fast! And may she have all the ice cream (or in my case, applesauce :( ) she can stand!

faithhope
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm praying for you and Bethany. May the surgery go smoothly and may she enjoy tons of ice cream...

pbhall13
01-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Angela

Prayers being sent your way and to Bethany.

Make sure you are well stocked with all the ice cream flavors she loves! Just a nice treat after the 'yucky' surgery.

Keep us posted!

ps...oh and a stuffed animal goes a long way in cheering little girls

Hedy
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
:hugs::hugs:

arob414
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Please keep Bethany in your prayers this morning. At 9:30 we are getting her tonsils out. I know...minor surgery. But you all understand about mothers and their children! LOL Prayers are appreciated! Thanks!

Just saw this, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Bethany. Grace had hers out just after her 8th BD and I can still remember how tiny she looked in her bed as they took her into OR. And, tonsil surgery is a big deal, made all the bigger when it is your baby. :hugs:

linanglab
01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
We are home. She did well. The doctor said she will have a sore throat from hell.....Her tonsils were very large and somehow underneath her tongue. She is not allowed to go to school until next week.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

Sunni
01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
:hugs: Angela and Bethany :hugs: Glad to hear all went well. I remember mine being out when I was a kid.....I got to have lots of ice cream. I hope Bethany's throat feels better soon.

Thanks for letting us know. Still thinking of you!

disney_girl
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
So glad that part is behind you all! Praying for a speedy recovery for Bethany! I think you should share a little of her ice cream too!!;)

jakeandsophiesmom
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
So glad to hear everything went well and she is home recuperating. Lots of ice cream to both of you, you deserve it!!! If she gets tired of ice cream, which is not likely, applesauce and jello are great too! When I had mine out at 17, I had a blood vessel burst and the ice cream made me sick, so it was applesauce and jello for me.

schaery
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Glad to hear all went well. I know you're relieved it's over - at least the surgery part. My DD loved fruit smoothies after her tonsilectomy but without the straw.

lanny76
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM

glad she came thru it well, and hope for a swift recovery!!

wilsonfamily4
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
poor bethany! and poor mommy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

linanglab
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
We are like on our 10th freeze pop. I am going to make jello later and freeze it to make a slushie type thing. She has been a trooper. No tears or whininess.

Doctor said no icecream until 3rd day because it causes pleghm (sp?). So I guess I am going to have to eat that vanilla frosty that I bought her yesterday....They don't last very long in the freezer, right? RIGHT???? LOL!

askomsky
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Glad to hear she's doing well, all things considering. Girls take it so much easier then boys/men.

speechteachri
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Glad she's home and can have a good deal of time to recuperate! I just bought some "throat coolers" to have on hand for dd if she gets a sore throat this winter. They are made with natural ingredients and I don't think they have as much sugar as regular popsicles. Maybe something like that would feel good on her throat as she is getting better.

:hugs:

nurseminnie76
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM

So glad that the surgery went well. Praying for a speedy recovery! :sunshine:

faithhope
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
glad to hear all went well... I hope you guys can have some special time together while she heals.

~Kathie
01-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Glad the surgery went well and she is being a trooper.

I had mine out when I was 20. They put me in the Children's ward. Because I was so old, I had to stay overnight. THAT was interesting.

They make sugar free popscicles....they really hit the spot.

:hugs::hugs: to you!

Sunni
01-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Angela.. How is Bethany this morning? Sounds like the freeze pops are a hit!
How was that vanilla frosty? I agree ice cream should never stay in the freezer very long!

linanglab
01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Bethany had a great night. Did not wake up once. I have been keeping pain meds in her though. Doctor said I should. Lots of freezer pops and white grape juice (which was her beverage of choice! Should keep her from constipation too!) Wondering if today will be worse. We will see. Sometimes the day after seems worse. But so far so good! Thanks everyone. You guys are great!

Oh....and I did eat some of that frosty last night. It was DELICIOUS! I have plenty more to munch on during the next couple of days! YUMMY!

Blessing and Miracle
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm glad everything went well! Praying for a speedy recovery. I'm sure you are spoiling her even more, if that's possible.:)

disney_girl
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Glad she had a good night! Hoping everything continues to go smoothly for her recovery! I'm sure the extra love from Mom is hitting the spot too!

Candi
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Praying for her recovery.

linanglab
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes, prayers, etc. but I have a question for those of you who have gone through this. My middle had the same surgery, but seemed to got better quick.

Bethany is having lots of ear pain. She had pain right after surgery, and the doctor said that was normal for what they did to her. They said since her tonsils were so big, they had to dig either around, or under (a little confused on that one) her tongue, which would cause ear pain. She is on antibiotics, so I know she does not have an ear infection.

She was actually in tears tonight. She is not eating much at all because it hurts to chew. She doesn't even want ice cream or yummy things. She tries, takes a few bites and then is done.

Is this normal? Should I call the doctor? Her surgery was Monday, so this is the 4-5 day. Help? Suggestions?

jakeandsophiesmom
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Angela, I would call the doctor just to be on the safe side. It's probably normal but better to inquire about it.
When I had mine out it was much the same thing. The "quick" surgery turned into about an hour b/c my tonsils were big. Then the blood vessel burst, so it was back into surgery for me. I was in the hospital for 3 days before they released me. I remember my ears hurting a little, but mostly my throat. Also remember everything liquid I tried to swallow weeks later came out my nose!:rotfl: If there is anything she will eat, drink that doesn't hurt, load it up! I think I survived for three weeks on homeade milkshakes and applesauce!

linanglab
01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks. I am going to call the family doctor tomorrow....It seems like when I need a doctor it is always on the weekend! :confused:

She did really good at the beginning. She has not gotten sick or bled at all. Just her poor ears. It seems to be getting worse than better. Her throat does not seem to hurt too much. Just the ears. Chewing is so hard for her because it hurts her ears. I will see what the doc says tomorrow.....

arob414
01-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Grace never complained about her ears, but she really felt bad for nearly 2wks. Her doctor gave her pain med and wanted her taking it on a fairly regular schedule to keep her from hurting too bad. She ate almost nothing for days. Not even ice cream or jello. At first, she felt so bad she really didn't care but after a wk she started getting hungry but it hurt too much to eat. I even tried tuna in the blender. She loves tuna but still couldn't eat it. Then, to make matters worse about the time she got to feeling better, my sister and her kids came over to swim. I let Grace in the pool and she must have swallowed some of the chlorinated water because she was in pain, that night.

Good luck. It was a hard couple wks for Grace.

schaery
01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Do you have one of those emergency clinics near you? If so, it may be quicker to take DD there instead of calling doctor, getting answering service, waiting for doc to call back......

My DD breezed thru her tonsillectomy so I don't have any advice for you there. I know you sure didn't need anything else on your mind right now. Hope that you're able to get some rest. I know it's hard when your kids are hurting.

linanglab
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, I called the doctor on call. I was fortunate that it was the doctor who did her surgery. He said it was....oh crap...can't think of the word....Pain that is coming from her throat, but shows up in her ear???? Don'r remember the correct term. (It was a long night! LOL) Nothing to be worried about, but it definitely is very REAL pain. Poor girl has been crying off and on for a couple days.

She doesn't want to take the codeine stuff (tastes AWFUL!). So I am going to get her some Tylenol and hopefully it will take some of the pain away. Other wise, mean mom will force the awful stuff down her throat.....

Just thought I would give the update!

OH! Referred pain! Thought of it right after I sent it!

sammielynn
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm so sorry that Bethany is haveing such a hard time! Hope she get to feeling better this week-end. Hugs and prayers for all.:hugs:

disney_girl
01-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I googled it and read that they will often complain of ear pain, but as you doctor said, it is really pain from the throat. I think it is called referred pain? I hope that the pain meds can take the edge off the pain for her and she can be comfortable!

arob414
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Angela, if you can get the codiene down her and keep her on a every 4 hour schedule (or, however it is ordered) it will help her feel better. Our dr was really insistent on that and as a nurse, we tell our pts (well, not mine, they are babies) that it is much better to prevent pain and stay on top of it than try to play catch up. Pain meds are not as effective when you are really hurting.

I didn't want to say anything, at first, about how bad Grace felt because it seemed like other children did much better and I didn't want to worry you, needlessly. Grace is not a complainer. While she was in the hospital, they taught her the pain scale (1-10). She never gave a scale higher than 4 but it was so obvious she felt awful. She just laid around with tears running down her face. And, she would tell you it is getting "better". The worst, tho, was when she finally felt well enough to be hungry but still couldn't swallow.

I can't remember exactly but I was also told by other mothers that the kids usually seem a little better then relapse after a few days. Probably about the time they start feeling well enough to get play a little and over do it. I don't remember Grace ever feeling like playing until the end, but she did get worse before she got better.

Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

linanglab
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't think Bethany is as bad as your little Grace, but I feel so bad for her. When her friend came over last night, Bethany couldn't even play. She just sat and watched TV and cried.

I had to look for cell phone plans today, and she just felt so bad, and laid agaisnt the wall at the cell places. I did get meds down her. She actually was able to eat some noodles. I told her that she is going to take the meds from now on, whether she complains about it or not. I agree....don't want to play catch up with the pain anymore.

Thanks for going through this with me! Being the only adult in the house is harder than I thought when it comes to these things....you guys are a HUGE help and support. More than you all know....

disney_girl
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
So glad she got a little relief. As bad as the medicine is, she really needs it to get on the road to feeling better. But, it totally sucks having to give them medicine that is hard to take! Hugs to you all!

~Kathie
01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm glad you were able to get her to take the meds. They will also help her to sleep.

:hugs::hugs::hugs: to you both

Hedy
01-24-2009, 07:45 PM

arob414
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
So glad she is doing a little better. Eating a little has to help, or I think it should. Each day will hopefully get better.

Sunni
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
:hugs: Angela :hugs: I hope the meds are helping out. Sending some :hugs: for you so you will feel better. I know it is so hard to see our children not feeling well. keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

lanny76
01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Don't think Bethany is as bad as your little Grace, but I feel so bad for her. When her friend came over last night, Bethany couldn't even play. She just sat and watched TV and cried.

I had to look for cell phone plans today, and she just felt so bad, and laid agaisnt the wall at the cell places. I did get meds down her. She actually was able to eat some noodles. I told her that she is going to take the meds from now on, whether she complains about it or not. I agree....don't want to play catch up with the pain anymore.

Thanks for going through this with me! Being the only adult in the house is harder than I thought when it comes to these things....you guys are a HUGE help and support. More than you all know....

:hugs::hugs:

askomsky
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm glad she was able to take the meds, I'm sure it's got to help her a little.
Hang in there Ang, that's what were here for, it's so tough tho when are little ones are in pain. :hugs: