PDA

View Full Version : Im here ... tired, BUT HERE

mia214jia
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh I could go on and on. But I dont have the time nor do I want to just make everyone cry with all my baggage. But I will say though that this past week was a disaster. Not sure if anyone saws the news but we Kentuckians got hit with a major ICE storm. My household was without power for 9 days. Generators were not to be found any where and if you did have one you had better bolt it down or it would get stolen. Literaly people would go around town waiting for people to go to bed and put a LAWNMOWER in place of the stolen generator!!!
We made it buy burying our food in the SNOW. We used a grill to cook on for food. And lived with a kerosene heater for heat during the day and used our fireplace at night with the kids in our bed when we slept.
And in the midst of all this maddness the mailman still delivered mail. And guess what I got .......... SUNSHINE from Sunni. ~ A sweet birthday card. Sunni you have no idea how you touched my heart and how your sunshine came at such a time as this.
So Thank YOU !
I have to go now our insurance adjuster has arrived. I will fill you all in more later.

Hedy
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
:hugs::hugs:

sunshinecindy
02-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh, that sucks. I remember those days in Southern Indiana when we'd get snowed in for a week with no power. My friend in Richland, IN had the same thing, lost all her food and then her tv was blown out (insurance wouldn't cover it either ) and no generator. I think its getting back to a little normalcy now there, thank heaven. Glad you are back amongst us now. Try to stay warm.

Love2Shop
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm so sorry that you had to go through all that, sounds awful! At least everyone is okay! :hugs:

~Kathie
02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Good to have you back Michelle. :hugs::hugs: and hope you had a happy birthday!!!

Blessing and Miracle
02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
:hugs:Glad to know you guys are alright. I've been watching the news and it looked pretty horrible for you guys. :hugs:

I do hope your insurance company doesn't add to the pressures. We are still dealing with our claim from Hurricane Ike. I actually told them that they have until 2-14 to complete my claim or I was seeking a public adjuster or attorney.

I will keep you in my prayers and remember, the sun will shine afterwhile. :)

askomsky
02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
:hugs:oh my how horrible!! I am so sorry you had to go to such great lengths. I'm glad everyone is ok and I hope that the insurance claims go easy for you. :hugs:

faithhope
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
:hugs: glad to see you back online.

Pooh's Pal
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
So sorry to hear this. Everytime we have a storm I cringe just thinking of all the damage it can do.

Glad to see you back online Michelle. ;)

And SUNNI...you are the sweetest

lanny76
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
:hugs::hugs:Oh my, I am sorry! I did hear the news, thot of you. Glad you made it thru OK, hope things go well now. And how nice you got some sunshine - Sunni is great!

schaery
02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Whew! I can't even imagine. We have to deal with hurricanes here on the coast, and I can remember going weeks without power. HOWEVER, it is in the summer, and I know I don't speak for most, but I'd take no a/c in the summer any day over no heat in the winter. I'm a big wienie when it comes to being cold.

Hope things get back to normal for you soon, and that your adjuster gives you a fair deal. :hugs:

bbangel
02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Ice storms are definately no fun. I'm glad things are starting to return to normal for you. It is amazing to me how events like that can bring out the worst in people. Of course they also bring out the best in people as well, it's just harder to find the positive stories somehow.

I have memories when I was a kid of playing board games by coleman laterns beside the fireplace with every blanket in the house around us. Sort of fun for an afternoon but a few days without power (or weeks) is no picnic.

LauraLea
02-05-2009, 04:28 PM
It sure has been one heck of a bad winter. What ever happened to global warming?

Glad you are physically OK. Hope you get good news from the insurance company.

Laura

mia214jia
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
SHEW..... The adjuster just left. Now we WAIT. ~
First let me say..... You dont realize how awesome a good HOT BATH feels until you cant take one. LOL
We had freezing Rain for 2 DAYS straight. ( about 6 in. of ice ON our house)
When we realized that it was going to be bad we grabbed as much firewood as we could and put it in our bedroom. (so it wouldnt get to wet/frozen)
The first night wasnt so bad but the second was the worst.... the sound of the trees breaking and falling on the house is the most awful helpless feeling I could have ever imagined. After the rain had stopped we had about 2 inches of snow. And that is what we shoveled up and dumped into our freezer so our food wouldnt spoil. We used snow in the coolers to keep refrigerated things cold.

lanny76
02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
SHEW..... The adjuster just left. Now we WAIT. ~
First let me say..... You dont realize how awesome a good HOT BATH feels until you cant take one. LOL
We had freezing Rain for 2 DAYS straight. ( about 6 in. of ice ON our house)
When we realized that it was going to be bad we grabbed as much firewood as we could and put it in our bedroom. (so it wouldnt get to wet/frozen)
The first night wasnt so bad but the second was the worst.... the sound of the trees breaking and falling on the house is the most awful helpless feeling I could have ever imagined. After the rain had stopped we had about 2 inches of snow. And that is what we shoveled up and dumped into our freezer so our food wouldnt spoil. We used snow in the coolers to keep refrigerated things cold.

enterprising of you!!

Sunni
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh I could go on and on. But I dont have the time nor do I want to just make everyone cry with all my baggage. But I will say though that this past week was a disaster. Not sure if anyone saws the news but we Kentuckians got hit with a major ICE storm. My household was without power for 9 days. Generators were not to be found any where and if you did have one you had better bolt it down or it would get stolen. Literaly people would go around town waiting for people to go to bed and put a LAWNMOWER in place of the stolen generator!!!
We made it buy burying our food in the SNOW. We used a grill to cook on for food. And lived with a kerosene heater for heat during the day and used our fireplace at night with the kids in our bed when we slept.
And in the midst of all this maddness the mailman still delivered mail. And guess what I got .......... SUNSHINE from Sunni. ~ A sweet birthday card. Sunni you have no idea how you touched my heart and how your sunshine came at such a time as this.
So Thank YOU !
I have to go now our insurance adjuster has arrived. I will fill you all in more later.

:hugs: Michele :hugs: So sorry about the storm and all its damage. I hope things work out with the insurance adjuster. I am glad that you received your card and it came at a great time!

schaery
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Let's see....you could take the insurance money and move south. It's 30? on the AL coast now, which is cold for us, but it's gonna be 70 by Saturday. And it NEVER snows. Well, okay, I think it's snowed less than 10 times in 48 years so I shouldn't say never.

mia214jia
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the thought has crossed our minds to move someplace warm. But if we did it would defintely be near YOU KNOW WHERE, LOL!!!!