PDA

View Full Version : POP or All Star Sports

Arky
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I am so excited!!! We are going to Disney and I will be booking before the week is out. We will go in September 20-27 and I got a free dining code. We are a family of 5 and my parents will be going where ever I go and keep one of my kids in their room.

This will be our first family trip. We did go to Disneyland last Nov. My DH has never been to DW, wants to go, but is a little annoyed at all my planning already. We have 3 kids, Ds 12, DS 9, DD7. First time for all of them. It will be my first time to stay onsite. I haven't been in over 12 years.

So, I have had in my mind for a while now that I wanted to stay at POP. I don't really know why, I just remembered reading about POP and wanting to stay there. But now I'm wondering if ASSp would be a better choice since we have sports-loving boys.

Pros, cons of either place. I don't think it matters that much because I am sure we will have so much fun!!!! Where should I stay?

I get to go see :mickey:

fourfoxesinpa
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I am so excited!!! We are going to Disney and I will be booking before the week is out. We will go in September 20-27 and I got a free dining code. We are a family of 5 and my parents will be going where ever I go and keep one of my kids in their room.

This will be our first family trip. We did go to Disneyland last Nov. My DH has never been to DW, wants to go, but is a little annoyed at all my planning already. We have 3 kids, Ds 12, DS 9, DD7. First time for all of them. It will be my first time to stay onsite. I haven't been in over 12 years.

So, I have had in my mind for a while now that I wanted to stay at POP. I don't really know why, I just remembered reading about POP and wanting to stay there. But now I'm wondering if ASSp would be a better choice since we have sports-loving boys.

Pros, cons of either place. I don't think it matters that much because I am sure we will have so much fun!!!! Where should I stay?

I get to go see :mickey:

Congrats on getting the code! I booked at Pop because the AllStar just seemed so much bigger and I figured the buses would be even crazier. Plus, I like the theming better. And, I think Pop is the newest?

Your post just throws all my logic out the window when it comes to how people get codes. I just can't figure it out. You are lucky!!!

Happy Planning. And if DH gets tired of hearing about it, you can always talk to us!!! :sunshine2:

Arky
02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Your post just throws all my logic out the window when it comes to how people get codes. I just can't figure it out. You are lucky!!!

Happy Planning. And if DH gets tired of hearing about it, you can always talk to us!!! :sunshine2:

I am guessing I got a code because I had requested a new DVD within the last 6 weeks - ???

I will probably be on here planning. Some of you ladies are just such a wealth of info. I've loved reading the old posts. It has helped me so much!

I think size is part of why I do want to stay at POP. It's not like it's small, but All Star might be too big.

gpp2001
02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Congrats - I hope you guys have a great visit!

I like Pop better - I have never stayed at any of the All Stars but have been there when my sis in law stayed there and couldn't stand it!! There are just way too many people.

we have stayed at Pop at least twice - neither were for very long times - usually we stay for a couple of nights before or after we cruise.

I can't really put into words why I like Pop better but I do. It could be the trip that Dsis-in-law stayed at All Stars was spring break and was truly a horrible time to go - we never go during high season.

Anyways - my vote is for Pop!! Have fun planning and if you need more info just let us know!!

bbangel
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Pop all the way. The taxes are lower, the buses aren't shared, the food court is better and it really appeals to most people in terms of themeing.

Breeze88
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Do POP, it's newer and they have their own bus more or less. All of the All Stars always share a bus, but Pop has it's own most of the time and will only stop there unless it's ubber crowded and then all the buses are busy. The sports theming at Sports is cute, but POP is cuter :D

If you do go to Sports then just make sure that you allow a little extra bus time that's all.

Also, make sure to be on the phone the second you hit your 90 days out for your ADRs. I'm hearing all sorts of rumors that this may very well be the last time they offer free dining so it may be packed when you go.

Love2Shop
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I guess I'm going to be the dissenter here but I would go with Sports. I have stayed at both and I prefer Sports. Actually, Pop is much bigger than any of the All-Stars.

Yes, the 3 All-Stars share buses at times, but most of the time they have seperate buses, especially leaving the parks at night or leaving the resort in the morning. And Sports is the first resort to be dropped off or picked up.

I liked the layout of the room better at the All-Stars. It is the same except at the All-Stars, the beds are closer to the bathroom wall, while at Pop, the beds are closer to the door. To me the room felt more crowded at Pop. Also all the rooms at Sports have been refurbished, the furniture was a little nicer there then at Pop. I also liked the smaller, calmer food court at Sports.
Plus, if you stay at any of the All-Stars you can use the pool at any of them. And at night All-Star Movies shows movies by the pool.

One thing I did like better about Pop is there seemed to be less of a wait at check-in/out, probably because there are so many people at the desk. Also the gift shop was much bigger.

If you do decide to stay at Sports, it is close to AK, but not anything else so I would leave a little more time for travel.

JillyFish
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Well I've never stayed at Sports so I can't compare....but I love Pop Century!! I understand your interest in Sports because of your boys, but I think ANYONE would like the theming at Pop. It is just so much fun! Great food court and bus service too!

schaery
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I have never stayed at AS either but I love Pop. I think your boys would get a kick out of all the the neat things to look at at Pop. I'll be at Pop with free dining from 9/26 - 30 so I'll just miss you. I hope there's a MNSSHP scheduled during that time. I know you and your boys will have a great time wherever you stay. Crowds should be down then, too.

eaglesdare
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
i have stayed at all the all stars and pop. with the sports loving boys, i would chose the all star sports. my boys loved it there.

even though the all stars may share a bus, sports is the first stop. also i agree with the other poster that said, pop was bigger. i was amazed at how big pop was.

either one will be fine. but with those sports loving boys, i would go with all star sports.

Arky
02-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys for such great points of view. You've given me more to think about. I'll let you know what we decide.

Arky
02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been thinking and trying to figure this out. While I know the boys would love All Star Sports, I wanted to stay at Pop. Several of you said such great things about Pop and I decided to go see for my self.

I booked for Pop Century today. I can't wait until September.

I hadn't even thought about MNSSHP. I will have to check into that when the dates are released. Thanks for the tips!

Arky
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, our plans changed alittle. This trip has turned into a Grand Gathering with 15 of us going, my parents, my sister and family, mimi & papa, and their daughter and husband. Two of the rooms will be with the military discount and Pop was not available on those dates.

So, we all switched to All Star Sports!!! I find it ironic that was the only All Star we could get our free dining and their military.

It will be so much fun!!!

Love2Shop
05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, our plans changed alittle. This trip has turned into a Grand Gathering with 15 of us going, my parents, my sister and family, mimi & papa, and their daughter and husband. Two of the rooms will be with the military discount and Pop was not available on those dates.

So, we all switched to All Star Sports!!! I find it ironic that was the only All Star we could get our free dining and their military.

It will be so much fun!!!

Sounds like you will have a great time! I think you will like Sports, when we were there last Sept it was very clean, the room and the grounds. I am not a sports fan but I did like the theme once we were there.