PDA

View Full Version : Spring Meet in Lancaster PA

missymouse
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
We are trying to get a brief brunch type meet together one Friday this spring in Lancaster PA. I think we are trying to meet at or near the Outlet Mall in Lancaster from around 10:30-1:00 or so. Mark which of the days it would be possible for you to meet in the poll. The one with the most number of people wins.

askomsky
02-13-2009, 11:52 PM
4/7
4/24

5/1
5/15
5/29

I say these now, but watch one of these will be something for my DD6 Kindergarten. I know their one big party is end of April but mid week so I'm good there.

missymouse
02-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Just went and double checked the calendar and the March date is out for me.

eaglesdare
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
i'm going to vote for the last 3 dates in may. anything sooner and i think i would be pushing it for the old man. (hehe).

but may is usually the start of our camping season so if i combine with a camping trip this may work out for us.

fourfoxesinpa
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
March is out for me - we'll be at WDW. :clap: And the next Friday, I'll still have Mickey hangover and just don't know if I'll be free. Any of the other days are good - as of now. Who knows what will come up with end of year school field trips and that stuff.

Once we get a headcount, I'll investigate some brunch options and we can decide where we'd like to eat.

eaglesdare
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
i would love to make an attempt at getting up that way.

but as far as the brunch goes, could you check into authentic amish type places? is that a possibility?

fourfoxesinpa
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
There are plenty of touristy places that serve PA Dutch style foods but nothing owned/operated by Amish in that area - one is a buffet, Miller's Smorgasbord, that is only a mile or so east of the outlets. That would probably be my recommendation. I haven't been in years but it's been here forever and is quite popular with bus tours and other groups. You can load up on PA Dutch standards like Chicken Corn Soup, slippery Chicken Pot Pie, brown buttered noodles, hot bacon salad dressing, red beet eggs, chow-chow and Shoofly pie.

http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/

Everything else in that area are chain restaurants, like Panera, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, etc. Any other PA Dutch style restaurants are kind of far from the outlets and a little bit to the east of the outlets/tourist drag.

If you want "real" Amish food, you'd have to come to our little borough fire company breakfast on the second Saturday of each month. The women volunteer and cook up some tasty, non-heart-healthy grub. YUM.

askomsky
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Just an FYI I see a lot of people picked 5/22, just want to make sure you realize that it's the Friday before Memorial day. We head out of town that day, which is no big deal but just wanted to throw it out there.
(We're actually going to Knoebels that day, we usually get DS out of school a few hrs early)

amarazas
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I marked down April 24th, but I can't do the 24th, I meant to pick April 17th.

Sorry for the confusion!

eaglesdare
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
that place sounds good. well it sounds yummy. hehehe

also there is a $3 of coupon.

i wonder if they have scrapple there. i love the way they make scrapple.

we always take off for memorial day weekend.

askomsky
02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I also realized I picked 5/22 as a date, thinking it was 5/29 instead. So 5/22 is not an option for me but 5/29 would be.

fourfoxesinpa
02-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm sure Miller's has scrapple for breakfast but they probably don't have it out for lunch.

Every now and then I get a B1G1 coupon in the mail - I can be on the lookout for them and scrounge for them from my neighbors if that's where people would like to go.

Thanks, April, for pointing out that 5/22 is the Friday before Memorial Day. I can still make it, but I'd be pressed to get the car packed with my last minute groceries and have pickup at the school so I can head "down the shore." My kids have school but I'd prefer any of the other Fridays in May.

eaglesdare
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm sure Miller's has scrapple for breakfast but they probably don't have it out for lunch.

Every now and then I get a B1G1 coupon in the mail - I can be on the lookout for them and scrounge for them from my neighbors if that's where people would like to go.

Thanks, April, for pointing out that 5/22 is the Friday before Memorial Day. I can still make it, but I'd be pressed to get the car packed with my last minute groceries and have pickup at the school so I can head "down the shore." My kids have school but I'd prefer any of the other Fridays in May.

where is "down the shore" ?

fourfoxesinpa
02-17-2009, 02:09 PM
where is "down the shore" ?

Sorry - we never say we're going to the beach. It's always "going down the shore." Even when you're there, you're "down the shore." A Southeastern PA/Jersey thing. :sunshine2:

askomsky
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Sorry - we never say we're going to the beach. It's always "going down the shore." Even when you're there, you're "down the shore." A Southeastern PA/Jersey thing. :sunshine2:

Oh that is so true, never going to WW, always "down the shore" lol :rotfl:

missymouse
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't you know the one day in May that everyone else can meet is the day that they announced today that for teacher planning schools would start 2 hours late. That would mean I couldn't leave her until 10:15 and have to drive 2 hours so would get there at 12:15 to leave again by 1:00.

So who can/can't do May 29? I think I can. I think we really should set a date or something will always come up if we don't just put it on the calendar. The place you all were discussing sounds good.

askomsky
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't you know the one day in May that everyone else can meet is the day that they announced today that for teacher planning schools would start 2 hours late. That would mean I couldn't leave her until 10:15 and have to drive 2 hours so would get there at 12:15 to leave again by 1:00.

So who can/can't do May 29? I think I can. I think we really should set a date or something will always come up if we don't just put it on the calendar. The place you all were discussing sounds good.

5/29 as of right now works for me. I just found out at conferences that our field trip is 3/30 so I don't see anything else that would stop me. ( I say that for DS, my luck DD will have something, but even so she's in am K so I shoudl be ok)

eaglesdare
02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
i am from new jersey, so that was why i was asking where "down the shore" was.

i was wondering where you were headed in joisey. (hehehe).

is "ww" wild wood?

sqromano
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM

is "ww" wild wood?

I guess the closer you get to Philly, the more shortcuts you use when talking. You go "down the shore", "up the mountains", and drink "wooter" (that's water for those who don't know!). :rotfl: It wasn't until I went to college that I realized not everyone talked that way! :rotfl:

askomsky
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM

is "ww" wild wood?

I guess the closer you get to Philly, the more shortcuts you use when talking. You go "down the shore", "up the mountains", and drink "wooter" (that's water for those who don't know!). :rotfl: It wasn't until I went to college that I realized not everyone talked that way! :rotfl:

Yeah some of my friends from the north/south/mid west tell me I have an "accent" I just laugh, I don't think we do but hey what do i know!

fourfoxesinpa
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM

is "ww" wild wood?

I'm not sure which part of Jersey you're from (Exit Number. :rotfl:) but it takes me 2 1/4 hours to get from Cape May ferry to my house and the outlets are another 15-20 minutes from there, depending upon traffic.

eaglesdare
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure which part of Jersey you're from (Exit Number. :rotfl:) but it takes me 2 1/4 hours to get from Cape May ferry to my house and the outlets are another 15-20 minutes from there, depending upon traffic.

hey the way i drive it takes me 2 hours from the ferry to what used to be my home. i lived in toms river.

now it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to the ferry on lewes side. so it isn't a big deal to get back to jersey.

what outlets are you referring to?

askomsky
02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
DH is born and raised from So J so we end up taking different routes every time we go! Since he has 8 siblings who are scattered through So J it also depends on whose house we were visiting on which route we take. So anything in NJ I just rely on him to tell me where I'm going.

fourfoxesinpa
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
hey the way i drive it takes me 2 hours from the ferry to what used to be my home. i lived in toms river.

now it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to the ferry on lewes side. so it isn't a big deal to get back to jersey.

what outlets are you referring to?

Rockvale Outlets in Lancaster PA, where we'll hopefully have our meet.