PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Resort Restaurant?

fourfoxesinpa
03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I need to figure out one more dinner before I can call on Thursday to make my ADRs and I can't decide. So, I thought I'd bring it to the experts.

What I'd like:
Needs to be at a resort (it's a non-park day)
No buffet - DD just doesn't eat enough - I'd love to try O'hana but will save that for another trip
No character
No Trails End (I have an ADR for there in a couple of weeks so I'd like something new)
Something not too stuffy for DS, 12 and DD, 10

I have one in mind but would love to hear suggestions. I already have these "non-park" meals planned (Dinners at TRex, Whispering Canyon, Rainforest at AK, and Boma breakfast)

(oh, and we're not on DP, if that makes a difference)

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

ligrumpygirl
03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
So many restaurants so little time!

Wilderness Lodge - Whispering Canyon Cafe
Poly - Kona
Saratoga Springs - Turf Club (personally one of my favorites!)
Beach/Yacht Club (I never remember which!) - Beaches and Cream (although I don't know if this counts as a table service on DP)

Those would be my top picks!

3dog2kidmom
03-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Boy, you sure have a lot of limitations!!

Our favorite is 'Ohana! They'll make your child something other than what they serve the rest of you if that is your concern.

fourfoxesinpa
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Boy, you sure have a lot of limitations!!

Our favorite is 'Ohana! They'll make your child something other than what they serve the rest of you if that is your concern.

Nah, they'd eat, just not $60 worth for the two of them. :eek: I just think it's wasteful to pay an adult price for them when they're still eating like little kids, especially when there are so many restaurants at WDW that aren't AYCE. I'd love to try it but I think we'll wait for another trip when they're "hungrier".

I'm thinking Kona Cafe - we can see the torch lighting before dinner and then hang out at the resort for the Electrical Water Pageant/Wishes from the beach. Those Kona Kones look fun!

Breeze88
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I love the kona cafe and also Whispering Canyon for just plain fun, especially with the kids. Beaches and Cream is nice, but it's always so darn crowded that you'll end up waiting even with an ADR.

wilsonfamily4
03-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Sadly my resort favorites are buffet. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Ohana and we also enjoy Boma. But we also like Turfs Club at Saratog Springs Resort.

you may have a hard time finding a great resort dinner without it being a buffet.

Have you thought of maybe Downtown Disney? We like Wolfgang Pucks and Earl of Sandwich. Both so yummy

ligrumpygirl
03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Nah, they'd eat, just not $60 worth for the two of them. :eek: I just think it's wasteful to pay an adult price for them when they're still eating like little kids, especially when there are so many restaurants at WDW that aren't AYCE. I'd love to try it but I think we'll wait for another trip when they're "hungrier".

!

They will not charge you the regular O'hana price if you ask for Chicken Fingers or something like that. Somebody else can verify that I am sure...we haven't done it yet but probably will in July.

I love the kona cafe and also Whispering Canyon for just plain fun, especially with the kids. Beaches and Cream is nice, but it's always so darn crowded that you'll end up waiting even with an ADR.

Sorry...No ADRs at Beaches and Cream...just get there at an "off time".

3dog2kidmom
03-08-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm thinking Kona Cafe - we can see the torch lighting before dinner and then hang out at the resort for the Electrical Water Pageant/Wishes from the beach. Those Kona Kones look fun!

Haven't eaten at Kona. I want to try it someday (the coconut almond chicken sounds amazing!), but I just can't get past 'Ohana. FWIW, my kids (9 and 11) eat the heck out of 'Ohana! I think they get their money's worth more than I do. I can't remember what your kids' ages are... are they still eating off the children's menu?

Magical JenK
03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Whispering Canyon Cafe (WL), 'Ohana (Poly), Kona (Poly), Spoodles (BW), Wolfgang Puck (DTD)....hmmm...that's all I have for you, have fun making ADRs!!

Pooh's Pal
03-08-2009, 01:32 PM
For sit down meals, I'd go for Kona Cafe, Spoodles or Whispering Canyon Cafe. I've also heard good things about Turf Club at SSR and Olivia's at OKW. You may even try of the food courts, like POP Century, they have a great selection there too.

Good luck, isn't planning fun!!???!!

pbhall13
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Hands down Kona at the Poly (can't wait for our ressie on march 22nd!!!) Everything I have tried there is EXCELLENT and it is my dd9 and dd6's favorite meal of our trip......we eat there everytime we go!!!!

fourfoxesinpa
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Man, this is tough...I just watched a Food Channel clip of Ohana and think the kids would have a great time with the entertainment/games. I guess it's not so bad for $30 a person if you consider the meal as the evening entertainment as well.

It would be so much easier to decide if I was having better luck with surveys and offers and had extra free $! OR, if I knew there would be free dining offered next January around the marathon weekend - then I could wait until then.

Heck, I'm going to need a vacation after all this planning! :D

Magical JenK
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
It would be great if they offered free dining during marathon weekend, keep me posted if you hear anything. But I doubt they will since normally they offer free dining during down times. Since people will be coming to Disney for the marathon, they probably don't need to entice anyone else to come down that weekened. With this economy, who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So with that said, I'd again recommend 'Ohana as it's great food.

ligrumpygirl
03-09-2009, 08:21 PM
It would be great if they offered free dining during marathon weekend, keep me posted if you hear anything. But I doubt they will since normally they offer free dining during down times. Since people will be coming to Disney for the marathon, they probably don't need to entice anyone else to come down that weekened. With this economy, who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.

So with that said, I'd again recommend 'Ohana as it's great food.

Can you imagine the RUN on restaurants during the marathon?? OK BAD JOKE...

I have never heard of free dining at that time of year...I think it will be hard to get to get reservations in general at that time.

3dog2kidmom
03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
OR, if I knew there would be free dining offered next January around the marathon weekend - then I could wait until then.

Ooh... free dining during the marathon???! JEN... I can probably come watch you run then... I'll have an annual pass so no ticket cost, maybe there'll be a good AP rate, and free dining to boot... now about those pesky airline tickets :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

fourfoxesinpa
03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
A girl's gotta dream, huh? This year they extended the free dining into December with the Disney Visa for the first time. Since the economy is just expected to get worse before it gets better, maybe we'll see free dining in January of 2010 (holidays excluded?) That'd be sweet!

schaery
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, the Coconut Chicken at Kona is absolutely wonderful. I don't think you could go wrong there.

mjjmbnmm
03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
This year they extended the free dining into December with the Disney Visa for the first time.
===================================
Do you know how far into December?

fourfoxesinpa
03-10-2009, 07:19 PM
This year they extended the free dining into December with the Disney Visa for the first time.
===================================
Do you know how far into December?

December, 2008 - sorry...

mjjmbnmm
03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks

fourfoxesinpa
03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tips - I'm gonna bite the bullet and try for O'Hana. I have been on hold so far for 45 minutes and through the same music loop three times. Good thing we have a lot of those antique roll over minutes. :p Why hasn't Disney put this system online already? Such a PITA just to get a meal. :D

fourfoxesinpa
03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tips - I'm gonna bite the bullet and try for O'Hana. I have been on hold so far for 45 minutes and through the same music loop three times. Good thing we have a lot of those antique roll over minutes. :p Why hasn't Disney put this system online already? Such a PITA just to get a meal. :D

ETA: After exactly 1 1/2 hours, I have ADRs. I must say, I'm disappointed - we went through the whole list, I got all the times I wanted and then the system got funky and everything went bye-bye. We had to start all over and then some requested times weren't there anymore. But, I got:

Breakfast - Boma

Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern, 50s Prime Time

Dinner - Whispering Canyon, Rose and Crown (dessert during illuminations), Rainforest Cafe at AK, and O'hana (now a little earlier than I had wanted due to system problems - 7:05 instead of 7:30, but I can live with that)

Snack - Sci Fi (this one didn't work out - I had a 4:15 ressie for 4 just to get milkshakes but she didn't have the confirmation number. When the system crashed, my table didn't show up anymore and the only table she could find for the whole day was for 2 people at 5:35. I took it under her advice and she said to call back and try to switch it or just show up and see what they can do. I can't believe all those tables were booked in less than 2 minutes so I'm going to call back later today when my free minutes kick in and see if I can "fix" it)

What a frustrating system for a company of Disney's caliber.

bbangel
03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree that Disney has some funky systems for reservations and dining. I'm glad I can phone member services toll free because the long distance charges would kill me otherwise.

fourfoxesinpa
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I just called back and couldn't find another time for my SciFi ressie, or a table for 4. So, I figured out another day and the best I could do for a table of 4 was 9:00 pm. I thought that was OK since we're just having milkshakes and can show up a little early if we want.

This time, I got right through, less than 1 minute wait. So, I guess first thing in the morning is insane - unless you have those "hard to book" restaurants, hold off for a couple of hours and you'll be with an operator in no time.

And I thought this was interesting...this operator said that they are not going to be putting the reservation system online. :confused: That was a "rumor" put out there by someone else, she claimed. If they did that, she'd be out of a job and was told that wouldn't be happening. So, who knows - it always seems every cast member has a different story.

~Kathie
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
And I thought this was interesting...this operator said that they are not going to be putting the reservation system online. :confused: That was a "rumor" put out there by someone else, she claimed. If they did that, she'd be out of a job and was told that wouldn't be happening. So, who knows - it always seems every cast member has a different story.

I read that somewhere.....maybe the DVC site?? Not sure where it was. It would be great if they could put it online but think of it.......that site would crash constantly with all the traffic.

Sometimes the Cast Members are the last to know what the heck is going on.