PDA

View Full Version : Lots of planning help needed!

JillyFish
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Okay, I need some answers from the experts! I'm planning my first ever, real, on-site, more-than-just-a-day-trip Disney vacation. :mickey: It will be a girl's-only trip for DD7 and me.
(LONG story, short....three special needs kids, DH and I decided it would be better to take each one on their own trip, DH has little interest in going, I took DS8 last January for day-trips to MK and MGM, DS7 is not ready to go yet, so it's DD7's turn and lucky me gets to go on all trips!!)

Moving on....I plan to go in January 2008. My parents will be in FL for the month and so we will stay part of our time with them and part at WDW. Plus, the crowd level will be lower and I plan to go sometime around MLK Day since I will be taking DD out of school. (That's when we went last year and it was WONDERFUL!)

DH gave the okay to go ahead and book the trip. (I thought I was going to have to talk him into it, but surprisingly, I didn't have to!) And I know I'm already in my window for booking ADRs. But should I book now even though I don't have a code or anything? Is their a history of codes for January? And how far ahead would they come out? Is joining AAA worth it just to get a discount?

How much down-payment is required? And at what point does the package have to be payed off?

Also, I'm planning on trying to get Crystal Palace for breakfast and the Princess Storybook Breakfast. How early is the first reservation of the day? And what is the latest reservation you would take if you want to get started in the park as close to opening as possible?

I guess that's all the questions for now....sorry, I know it's a lot! I'm sure I'll have more to come too. I'm so excited :banana: and I appreciate any suggestions!!

jnorth1007
08-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Here are a couple of your answers. If you book a room only reservation your deposit is equal to one nights stay (i believe) if you book a package your deposit is 200.00. For packages you have to have the balance paid by 45 days before your stay. As far as the breakfast, I would call and book it now and ask them what the earliest breakfast is. I would think that you would want one close to 8:00 or 8:05 so you would not be rushed and you would get out in time to hit FW for 9:00 opening. I dont know about AAA. If you book now and codes come out you can call and apply them later. HTH!

m 'n c
08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I would book all meals now for the week you are planning and then book your ressies based on what you end up deciding. The meals are really easy to cancel and don't require a deposit of any kind so get those out of the way today.

As for codes. Why don't you figure out if you want to do a package or buy things separately and then maybe book accordingly. I think you can apply codes later to your ressie as they come out. I'm not sure if they have them in January but I'd be willing to bet they have something.

llgray16
08-17-2007, 10:56 AM
The earliest reservation for CP is 8:05am. We get one every trip! It is so magical walking down that empty Main Street. I would get to the main gate at about 7:30am. They usually allow you to enter MK at 7:45. You want to take your time walking down as it is so magical and the perfect time for picture taking! I wouldn't get anything later than 8:15 if you want to be out and ready for rope drop. We always have a few extra minutes of standing by the ropes of Adventureland. We usually end up pin trading with the CM's there (and they always have some great pins early in the am!) Call ASAP for those ADRs!!!

Janet was correct on the deposit. Room only require one night's deposit with the balance due at check-in. packages require $200 deposit and the remainder is due 45 days before check-in.

MLK does bring more crowds into the park (for the same reason you want to go.) SO I would highly recommend TGM for his best days calendar to maximize your best touring days! Also, since it is a holiday and Disney will be charging daily rates in 2008, I would keep your eye open for discounts. If you have AAA call and get a rate quote thru them if you are getting a package or call Disney directly for quotes on AAA room rates.

Have a great time! I'm thinking of doing individual trips with my boys next year. I think what you are doing is great! It is really special for kids to have that one on one time with mom!

Happy planning!

JillyFish
08-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the answers and advice! I need to double check the dates with the grandparents and then I will book. I would really like for DD to see the opening at MK, but she isn't into LOUD (won't be seeing any fireworks this trip. :( )and so I think a nice quiet stroll down Main Street will be a much better introduction to the MK if we can get the breakfast at CP. I want to try the DDP (so we will get a package) and I think I will get the most out of our TS choices if I use them for breakfasts with DD. She's a pretty picky eater, but breakfast she can do.

I'm so excited....I've never eaten at a TS at Disney....let alone a character meal! Or stayed on-site for that matter!

So hopefully I will be able to make my reservations on Monday. I will report back! :)

bs4free
08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
If your want need to stretch out paying for your trip if you pay with a disney visa card you get 6 months at 0%APR, so if you pay it off right before your 45 day must be paid window that gives you about 4 months to finishing paying for the trip after you come home! Just another way to help with the cost! and you earn 1% back on your trip as well!

It sounds like a great trip, and i am sure each of your kids enjoys haveing their own trip, and you enjoy going on all of the trip!

3dog2kidmom
08-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Jilly! We are going Jan 21-25 MLK week, too!!! The others have answered your planning questions pretty well. I have a DD8, and we are going to do the 'Ohana breakfast this trip, CRT for lunch, and Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner that are all really kid-friendly.

Thursday that week is early EMH at the Magic Kingdom, so I'd definately recommend getting there for that one :)

You are going to have a great time!!

ETA: about codes... we got 15% off with a AAA discount and saved nearly $300! You're in value season if you go during the week, so you'll get decent rates that way, too.

JillyFish
08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey Jilly! We are going Jan 21-25 MLK week, too!!! The others have answered your planning questions pretty well. I have a DD8, and we are going to do the 'Ohana breakfast this trip, CRT for lunch, and Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner that are all really kid-friendly.

Thursday that week is early EMH at the Magic Kingdom, so I'd definately recommend getting there for that one :)

You are going to have a great time!!

ETA: about codes... we got 15% off with a AAA discount and saved nearly $300! You're in value season if you go during the week, so you'll get decent rates that way, too.

Hi Shelley! I appreciate your input. I didn't even think about their being a difference in rates between weekdays and weekend! I was planning on doing DW from 1/18-1/22 and then spending a couple days with my parents, but maybe I'll switch it around....visit them first and then head to DW from 1/21-1/25. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

My TS meals that I'm hoping to get are Crystal Palace breakfast, Norway Princess breakfast, Chef Mickey's dinner, and Kona Cafe breakfast (I gotta try that Tonga Toast!!!!:eat: ) I guess it's a little heavy on the character meals....I hope my DD doesn't freak out!

Do you do TGM? I'm thinking I better check it out. I have in my mind what I want to do what day, but I don't really know if it's the wisest plan.

bs4free
08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Do you do TGM? I'm thinking I better check it out. I have in my mind what I want to do what day, but I don't really know if it's the wisest plan.

Jill, TGM is great to help you put the finish on your plans, I have used it every time i have gone to WDW, it has helped alot to know what days to go to what park, and the best order of rides, to minimize your wait! I truley recomend using TGM to help with your plans! You will be glad, and happy you did!

3dog2kidmom
08-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Shelley! I appreciate your input. I didn't even think about their being a difference in rates between weekdays and weekend! I was planning on doing DW from 1/18-1/22 and then spending a couple days with my parents, but maybe I'll switch it around....visit them first and then head to DW from 1/21-1/25. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

My TS meals that I'm hoping to get are Crystal Palace breakfast, Norway Princess breakfast, Chef Mickey's dinner, and Kona Cafe breakfast (I gotta try that Tonga Toast!!!!:eat: ) I guess it's a little heavy on the character meals....I hope my DD doesn't freak out!

We have never done TGM. You really don't need it in January. The first time we were there ever was Christmas week, so January by comparison was DEAD! You can see the EMH's on the Disney website and the strategy is simple... go to that park that day if you plan to take advantage of the EMH, if not then stay away from it, LOL. The only crowds we ran into in January were at Epcot on EMH *night*.

As for TS, you will see different characters at each venue so you will be able to get DD a wide variety of autographs without having to stand in lines at the parks. Although you might like to - there are low crowds so there isn't much of a wait for them. We saw some real rare characters tjos year (we were actually there over MLK weekend). Oh and we are going to Kona our last breakfast for Tonga Toast :love:

JillyFish
08-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Ya, I'm not too worried about crowds. We were at MGM on the Friday before MLK and at MK on the day before MLK. It was really nice. We didn't stand in line more than 15 minutes. We actually bypassed POtC because the wait was 30 minutes! Yes, we were a little spoiled! LOL! We had my son who is in a wheelchair with us which, I'm embarrassed to say, helped a bit. But it still wouldn't have been bad. We even won dream fastpasses at MK and only used them for one ride!

I'm just a little concerned about the holiday itself and which parks to stay away from.

3dog2kidmom
08-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Ya, I'm not too worried about crowds. We were at MGM on the Friday before MLK and at MK on the day before MLK. It was really nice. We didn't stand in line more than 15 minutes. We actually bypassed POtC because the wait was 30 minutes! Yes, we were a little spoiled! LOL! We had my son who is in a wheelchair with us which, I'm embarrassed to say, helped a bit. But it still wouldn't have been bad. We even won dream fastpasses at MK and only used them for one ride!

I'm just a little concerned about the holiday itself and which parks to stay away from.

For us, the holiday is the day we arrive and we are not going to do a park that day. I've scheduled California Grill for dinner instead. An interesting aside -- Wishes is at 6:30 that night. It's at 8 the rest of the week - strange.

JillyFish
08-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Oooh! That'll be nice! Is your ADR around Wishes time?

I'm trying to figure out a place to watch Wishes so my DD won't be so scared. Have you ever watched from the beach at the Poly? I'm wondering if it's still pretty loud or not too bad.

3dog2kidmom
08-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Oooh! That'll be nice! Is your ADR around Wishes time?

I'm trying to figure out a place to watch Wishes so my DD won't be so scared. Have you ever watched from the beach at the Poly? I'm wondering if it's still pretty loud or not too bad.

Hey Jilly, just realized I didn't answer you. I haven't watched Wishes from the beach but I really want to someday. It should be quieter and music piped in maybe? We won't hit the timing right this trip -- the one night we could watch we will probably just stay in the park.

'Ohana is a good place to watch from. We did that last year and it was really special!