PDA

View Full Version : Value or mod...

speechteachri
03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
You guys were so great in your feedback with my Disney trip dillemma question, that I thought I'd give you another!!:o

IF we do end up planning a trip for free dining in Aug...and we have only stayed at mods and OKW before, would I be too dissappointed by Pop if we booked there to save a few bucks? This would be the first trip where we really want to have at least 1 day to just relax around the pool, etc. and I know the mods have better landscaping and such. We have stayed before at OKW and POFQ, and love POFQ! I am currently looking at CSR or Pop.

Also, does Pop have covered bus stops? I have problems with the sun, and that could be a problem for me if I had to wait too long at a sunny bus stop without a cover in August.

Thanks guys!!!:sunshine:

Hedy
03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
You guys were so great in your feedback with my Disney trip dillemma question, that I thought I'd give you another!!:o

IF we do end up planning a trip for free dining in Aug...and we have only stayed at mods and OKW before, would I be too dissappointed by Pop if we booked there to save a few bucks? This would be the first trip where we really want to have at least 1 day to just relax around the pool, etc. and I know the mods have better landscaping and such. We have stayed before at OKW and POFQ, and love POFQ! I am currently looking at CSR or Pop.

Also, does Pop have covered bus stops? I have problems with the sun, and that could be a problem for me if I had to wait too long at a sunny bus stop without a cover in August.

Thanks guys!!!:sunshine:

Pop has no covered bus stops. I'd only stayed at mods when I stayed at Pop-it was good for me, but the rooms are noticeable smaller (if you have 3 people in them).

iluvamystery89
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
we LOVE pop-we stay there each time we go to WDW. however, we don't hang around the resort, except for an occasional dip in the pool for DD-we're always at the parks. our room is basically just for sleeping. however, the resort has awesome theming and the pools are really nice. there is a large covering over the waiting area at the pop bus stop. personally, we don't use the pop buses as there's always a large crowd waiting (and only one bus stop)-it's much quicker to drive to the parks and since we're resort guests, we don't pay to park. we stayed at caribbean beach resort on our honeymoon, and i think pop century is just as nice, with slightly smaller rooms. there are 3 of us and we have no problems. if you decide to book pop, i'm sure you'll have a great time!

ETA: after reading Hedy's post....i was certain there was a covering over the pop bus stop, now i'm not so sure...i may be wrong, but with my sun allergy, i always find shade wherever possible, and i was sure the bus stop had a covered area. i haven't been there in almost 2 years-perhaps it was removed.

Hedy
03-29-2009, 03:29 PM
we LOVE pop-we stay there each time we go to WDW. however, we don't hang around the resort, except for an occasional dip in the pool for DD-we're always at the parks. our room is basically just for sleeping. however, the resort has awesome theming and the pools are really nice. there is a large covering over the waiting area at the pop bus stop. personally, we don't use the pop buses as there's always a large crowd waiting (and only one bus stop)-it's much quicker to drive to the parks and since we're resort guests, we don't pay to park. we stayed at caribbean beach resort on our honeymoon, and i think pop century is just as nice, with slightly smaller rooms. there are 3 of us and we have no problems. if you decide to book pop, i'm sure you'll have a great time!

ETA: after reading Hedy's post....i was certain there was a covering over the pop bus stop, now i'm not so sure...i may be wrong, but with my sun allergy, i always find shade wherever possible, and i was sure the bus stop had a covered area. i haven't been there in almost 2 years-perhaps it was removed.

Looks like the area in front of the stop is covered, but the stop itself isn't..http://www.mouseplanet.com/6790/Pop_Century_Resort_Tour

speechteachri
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks Heather...I did look at the pics on the Mouseplanet site. It does look like there is some covering, but in order to be "in line" for the bus, you would need to be out from under it.

The thing that strikes me most is the lack of landscaping at Pop (or the other values, for that matter). That is one of the things we have liked in the past. I don't want to scrimp and be disappointed in the end...I think we might stick to the mods....IF we go!!! We still can't decide!

spring
03-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Leslie, as you know I'm not the Disney fan or authority that many others on here are. That being said, I have stayed at the Poly, All Star Movies, and the Grand Floridian. I loved the Poly, I found that some of the people and vendors at the Grand Floridian were snobs (sad, isn't it?), but All Star Movies was adequate, cheap, and a great way to do Disney on a budget. I haven't stayed at Pop, but my DD and her family has and really liked it. At All Star Movies, which I CAN speak to, I remember having a covered waiting area for the buses. It was big, Disney "glitzy," but I didn't stay there very much so it didn't really matter. I, too, am sun sensitive, having had malignant melanoma 2 years ago. I totally understand your quest for shade!

I think you need to decide what is most important - going to Disney, or only going if you can afford more amenities. Once you can answer that question, I think your choice will become clear.

jenvance
03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I liked POP, but it was a complete different trip than CS or CBR. POP was a bit smaller and much more busier. Dh didn't like that part, he likes when it is bigger and more open. I didn't mind though. I like having the extra spending money.

jl8595
03-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks Heather...I did look at the pics on the Mouseplanet site. It does look like there is some covering, but in order to be "in line" for the bus, you would need to be out from under it.

The thing that strikes me most is the lack of landscaping at Pop (or the other values, for that matter). That is one of the things we have liked in the past. I don't want to scrimp and be disappointed in the end...I think we might stick to the mods....IF we go!!! We still can't decide!

Pop Century is a blast. We've stayed there a couple times and love it. It's just fun and upbeat. Perhaps not the most relaxing resort in all honesty and no, the landscaping is not as fancy/lush as the mods. As for the covered bus stops - no, the line itself is not covered or shaded, but there is an area nearby that is. You could easily have DH & DD wait in the turnstyle line and jump into the line when you see the bus coming - you can see the bus from a distance as it pulls into the resort entrance, so you have time to queue up if you need to stay in the shade. There were only a handful of times that the turnstyles were filled with people anyway (early in the morning, especially if there was an EMH day at a park). The one thing I will say about Pop, the bus service is one of the best of all the different resorts we've stayed at. Not sure why, but I was never irritated by their busing like I was when I stayed at the GF and the Poly.

My family really likes the food court at Pop. Lots of choices. And I like the layout of the resort. Everything is an easy walk, unlike some of the mods (CBR is a LONG walk to the food, LOL!). The pools are cutesy, but lack the waterslides of the mods and deluxes, so that's definitely a downer. But they do have three big pools that my kiddos enjoy...plus the Goofy Pop Jets! :)

Hope that helps a little, one way or the other. I've personally never had a problem flipping back and forth from Values to Mods to Deluxes depending on my budget at any given time, but one of my dearest friends was not as pleased with Pop after having stayed at CBR and can't picture herself going back to a Value again. So I guess in the end, it's all about preference. If you're nervous about Pop, maybe sticking with a moderate is wise.

Good luck with your decision!

linanglab
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
We loved Sports when we went 6 years ago. So I understand the concept of a value. We will be at Pop on June (I know that does not help you at all now). But going value was the only way for us to go at this point. My kids are SOOO excited for the refillable FREE frozen cokes (which was the ENTIRE reason we picked Pop over the values). I want to be one of those people who have stayed at ALL of the resorts. (Okay....I will need to find me a new RICH DH down the road LOL).

So....maybe Pop will be a different experience for you. BUT you will be at WDW. I rather have a little box room and be at WDW than have a HUGE room somewhere else and NOT be at WDW (well....unless it is in Hawaii or Australia!)

Let us know what your decision will be if you all go!

pbhall13
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Leslie

My girls and I stayed for 2 night at POP a few years ago. The resort itself has a nice layout and good foodcourt. The rooms are typical value rooms with the 2 double beds (I would opt for a studio at OKW personally for the 2 queens and bit bigger room)

My girls really did like it there, BUT my only complaint is that there aren't towels available when you are at the pool...you have to bring them from your room. This to me is insane......I can't believe that the values, which is full of families with small kids, does not have a bin for towels. what if you took a shower that day, went out for a bit and then decided to head back to resort and go to the pool, but oh no they haven't cleaned the room yet to give us more towels.....sorry but I don't want to take the towel from my shower down to the pool. So just be prepared for that, as you can tell I was not.....and it was a chilly day with 2 wet and cold girls with only their cover up to keep them warm until we got back to the room to get a towel!!

Okay enough said by me on that part (which again was my only real complaint)

disneyforever
03-30-2009, 05:49 AM
I think Pop is a great value hotel. The food court is huge with lots of options. I was very surprised that I liked the resort. There is not much grass, trees, ect but
the resort makes up for that with the theme. It's fun to walk around and see all the decorations. Makes me feel kind of old sometimes... expecially the 70's and
80's. LOL :rotfl:

If possible, we usually stay in a moderate resort (usually POR), however, if it is a choice of a moderate with very little spending money (been there, done that
waaaaaayyyy too often) or a value with more spending money - we will choose the value resort.

I think if you are really having trouble deciding where to stay (what to spend your money on), you should list out what it is you like to do... all the little or extra
stuff that makes a trip so special. For DH and me, we like to have the ability to dine suddenly at Marrakesh (or whatever restaurant), buy popcorn, churros, drinks,
or yummy treats from Mrs. Pott's (DH favorite place in all of MK to eat). To us eating, drinking, photos, etc are more important than the hotel where we stay. Most
of the time we are not at the hotel anyways. It is mostly just for sleeping and showers. As long as we are on disney property we know we will have a fantastically
grand time - which is the most important thing of all.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know what your decide. :sunshine2:

fourfoxesinpa
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
And another thing to consider is that you'd have a coffee pot and fridge in your room if you choose a moderate. So, you could order food from Garden Grocer or bring it from home, if you're driving, and make up a lot of the price difference by having breakfast or snacks in your room.

But, if you have free dining, none of that may not matter much. :sunshine2:

Debbie Jean
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
There's lots to love about POP and we've really enjoyed our stays... totally different vibe than the mods but lots of fun. :party:

DD (22) and I are booked for free dining at CSR this year for a number of reasons... the pool which we love, the coffee pot and fridge which are very convenient, the larger room and the theming. Last year we did the free dining at POFQ and had a great time but this year decided to go with CSR because they have a sit down restaurant, Maya Grill, and a super counter severice, Pepper Market. Although I love POFQ, I missed having the dining options.

We're also DVC and love OKW, too.... so laid back and relaxed... I'll actually be there for a solo trip in May! :banana: But for the free dining we decided to go with CSR and I can't wait! :cooldance: