PDA

View Full Version : Disney 5x Reward Question

Magical JenK
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
So for the first time ever I received one of those 5x rewards back in Jan for my Disney Visa. It was good from Jan-Mar on groceries, airline tix, gas & restaurants as long as I spent over $500 in any combination of those areas.

Being the type-a that I am, I kept a spreadsheet. I wasn't expecting the 5x rewards to post for quite some time (I think it says it may take 6-8 weeks). So today when I looked at my statement it says this:

5x Bonus Rewards Offer -Additional 4% 14 pts

Anyone know how this works. I was expecting a lot more than 14 pts (got 4 airline tix, lots of restaurants & plenty of gas in those 3 months). Is it allocated over a few months time do you think??

Thanks in advance

speechteachri
04-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I haven't had enough in purchases yet for the month to add up to my minimum, but I know that you only get the points on the amount
OVER the specified minimum, if that makes any difference. Have all your purchases posted since your previous statement?

Magical JenK
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Hmmm...ok, yeah, that makes sense but it's still far less than what I was expecting. And yes, they've all posted (however, I did get the same offer again for Mar-June!! yipppeeee).

I get the 4% now...where the first 1% was my original 1% reward, so that makes sense, but for my bonus ones to only equal 14??? Crud...I don't even know if my brain can figure out that math right now...should I just 14/4 to get the amount that they gave me the additional 4% on?

If so, that would be $350 (3.5*4=14)...that would mean I only spent a total of $850 for the qualified purchases...which is not what I have. Maybe what I think qualify don't?? dang....

Magical JenK
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh forget it...I had read it (& re-read it wrong so many times)...It's anything over $500 EACH month...not total. My bad.

jl8595
04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Another thing I've noticed with the Disney Visa bonuses - sometimes the store you use your card at doesn't match the merchant code type Chase has flagged as a bonus credit. For example (and this is JUST an example - I can't remember the specific one I noticed - I just remember being annoyed, LOL), if you buy groceries from Super Target, which is definitely a grocery store, and their merchant code is set up as a "Department Store", not "Grocery Store" - your spend won't count toward your grocery total. I think my problem was with a gas station - ohhh...I think it was BJ's Wholesale Club Gas...I was getting gas at BJ's and the merchant code was coming across as something other than "Gas", so the $$ I spent on those didn't qualify. I was very ticked, but Chase wouldn't even work with me on it.

Magical JenK
04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Very good point Lori! I kinda knew about that, so I was sure to check my account throughout the month just to see where it said my gas was being bought at (other).

Because I just couldn't leave well enough alone, I actually redid my spreadsheet & I did get 14 just like them! hahahaha!! :rolleyes:

Oh & on a personal side note, thanks for shopping at Target!! :p

mmm611
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm almost as bad. I keep a spreadsheet for my credit cards too because it's easier for me to track my spending and not worry about the "Oh, I think I have this much for my balance, this much that i spent and hasn't posted, etc." I was looking at my Shell MC this morning which I use almost exclusively for my Shell gasoline. I just threw my rebate calculation on there in teh past month or so and JUST noticed my rebate didn't add up to their number. Turns out, you get the 5% on gas, but it looks like 1% on car washes. It didn't really make sense to me, but it's less than an offer on SR anyways.

I love when Discover does their 5% back on different categories each quarter too, but it drives me nuts when a place that SHOULD qualify doesn't. They had 5% on home purchases last spring, which was great since that was when I got an apartment and needed stuff for that. Well, Target, Walmart and Kmart do not count for that, even if I shop those departments. I don't even bother trying to figure out THAT reward!

jl8595
04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Oh & on a personal side note, thanks for shopping at Target!! :p

LOL, not a problem!!! I'll be heading there again this evening...:D LOVE Target!! :)

speechteachri
04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Another thing I've noticed with the Disney Visa bonuses - sometimes the store you use your card at doesn't match the merchant code type Chase has flagged as a bonus credit. For example (and this is JUST an example - I can't remember the specific one I noticed - I just remember being annoyed, LOL), if you buy groceries from Super Target, which is definitely a grocery store, and their merchant code is set up as a "Department Store", not "Grocery Store" - your spend won't count toward your grocery total. I think my problem was with a gas station - ohhh...I think it was BJ's Wholesale Club Gas...I was getting gas at BJ's and the merchant code was coming across as something other than "Gas", so the $$ I spent on those didn't qualify. I was very ticked, but Chase wouldn't even work with me on it.

This has happened to me in the past too. They send you the offer, then seem to try to do anything they can to get out of it!!

Myfeeling is, it's something I wouldn't have had otherwise, so bring it on....even if it's only a few extra bucks worth!

schaery
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I got screwed on the SuperTarget grocery thing, too. Also, the same with SuperWalmart. For groceries to count, you have to buy from a "grocery store only" so it will show up that way on the receipt. I tried several times to come up with the points on the bonus rewards but I never could come up with the same thing as the DV points so I just gave up. Any points are good points so I just charge my way into oblivion. Hey, I'm stimulating the economy.....everyone else's but my own, apparently.

PSL1013
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't even know about this and went to look at my account and I see another 43 bonus points where added, wow. I do use it for everything and we don't have super stores around where I shop, so I guess I shopped in all the right places. :o

Magical JenK
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I didn't even know about this and went to look at my account and I see another 43 bonus points where added, wow. I do use it for everything and we don't have super stores around where I shop, so I guess I shopped in all the right places. :o

Congrats Pam! That's an awesome bonus!!:clap: