PDA

View Full Version : WOW Paypal Fees - Did I miss something???

metallicaruler80
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi, I just cashed in for a large amount for paypal. I am very grateful for my reward, however, I was shocked with over $7.00 in fees. Did I miss where this was outlined somewhere on the SR site??? I would have cashed in for gift cards instead.

Thanks.

bbangel
06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Those fees were probably charged by PayPal because of the type of account you have.
Someone with more experience cashing out that way may be able to provide a clearer answer.

Blessing and Miracle
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
The fees must have been associated with your PP account. I've never been charged a fee and my last cashout was received in May. SR doesn't charge a fee.

So sorry.:(

wilsonfamily4
06-01-2009, 05:17 PM
It does have to do with your paypal account. I had the same happen years ago when I started. I had a paypal account I used for ebay selling. It allowed people to use credit cards. With that account paypal takes a fee. So I set up another basic account with paypal and use that one here at SR.

It is frustrating the first time you realize there is a fee but you have time to set up a new account with paypal before you cash out here again.

askomsky
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree with Lisa and Megan, there are threads about it. If your paypal accepts credit cards they'll charge you a fee. I opened a seperate basic paypal account just for SR so I don't get charged a fee, and never have, no matter what amount I've cashed out for.

metallicaruler80
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for your responses. Some how my account is Premier - go figure. Any way changed it to Personal, so next time I will not be charged fees.

I do remember reading about this before, but thought I was ok - thinking why would I have a premier account, since I hardly use it.

I am so thankful to this site and what I have earned. Now that I fixed my paypal account, I am good to go next time.

:sunshine:

sunshinecindy
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi, I just cashed in for a large amount for paypal. I am very grateful for my reward, however, I was shocked with over $7.00 in fees. Did I miss where this was outlined somewhere on the SR site??? I would have cashed in for gift cards instead.

Thanks.

SR has nothing to do with the fees, those are solely set and taken by Paypal based on what type of account you have. Not sure if you can change your account or you would need to open a completely different one to avoid any future fees.

metallicaruler80
06-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Paypal allowed me to change back to a Personal Account. I guess in the past - meaning 2 years ago or so, we did some buying and selling on ebay. When you do this and accept credit card payments, you are automatically upgraded to Premier. I wish my frequent flyer miles or credit cards would automatically upgrade me......

Again, I remember checking this out on the boards before I chose the paypal option (it is coming back to me), and I do remember reading that there is no charge from SR. But again, who would have thought I would have this "Premier" account, since I am a "regular" person.:o:o

The Cheshire Cat
06-15-2009, 03:21 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Paypal. When it works good it's fantastic so quick and no messing with cc's but those fee's can get pricy!

I'm glad Sunshine offers it as an option! That is kewl!

mom2ian
06-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Just FYI, while the OP found out she had a Premier account and was therefore charged a fee by Paypal, there has been a recent change to the fees charged on Personal accounts too.

I was charged fees on a payment in to my personal account that was not sent by credit/debit. If I read correctly, they are now charging fees even on personal accounts if the payment comes through as marked "goods or services". (I think when you send money, you choose what it is for or something). I'm not sure how SR marks the payments made by paypal, but if it is marked this way I think there will still be a fee taken out.

SunshineGirl
06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Interesting...did everyone else get a fee this time as well. We pay using cash in our Paypal account, so that can't be it. We can code it differently if we need to. We didn't really have any reason to pick that one.

m 'n c
06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Mine came through just fine - no fees or anything taken out of it.

askomsky
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I didn't cash out last month for paypal (to be paid end of May) but did to be paid in June. The last time (maybe April?) I didn't have any fee's taken out. I'll check in June, but I did google it and the only thing i found is basically saying it would be if credit/debit was used but it wasn't really clear either way.

I think the last poster (mom2ian) was just trying to say be on the look out in case it has changed? That's the way I took her post. :confused:

wilsonfamily4
06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I just went and checked paypal and my money came with no fee as well.

Thanks Tricia for making sure. :) But it looks like you are doing it perfectly!

mom2ian
06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry - I didn't get a fee from SR on my Paypal personal account, if that is causing confusion.

I was just saying I had gotten a payment on my personal account (from a client) and there was a fee charged. He has always paid from a bank account and there is no fee. He accidentally sent from a credit card once and I received a warning from Paypal that I would be charged a fee if I accepted the payment, this time there was no warning, I was just charged a fee. When I looked up why there was a fee, the fee schedule for personal accounts had a new set up and it said something about if the sender marked that if the payment was for goods or services there would be a fee now.

I wasn't saying it was SR, I was just saying there are new rules on the personal accounts and you may be charged a fee even if it's not a credit/debit payment. Long time Paypal users are used to "no fees" on the personal accounts, I just didn't want anyone else to be surprised. I will be letting my client know what happened before my next payment!

bartleby1
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't cash out for paypal, but I have been reading threads on other message boards about people suddenly getting fees taken out from PTR programs when this has never been the case before. It was a flat fee PLUS a percentage and there were quite a few people who are long time clickers who were complaining. So something recently changed at paypal regarding fees but I don't know all of the details or who it actually applies to. Those of you cashing out for paypal might want to do a little more investigating to find out the details.

missymouse
06-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I recently cashed out to Paypal according to the SR account history the money was taken out of my account June 1 and is marked paid. So far the money has not been put into the Paypal account. Just wanted to make sure there isn't a problem. I was thinking it would actually pay June 30th is that correct?

sqromano
06-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I am just catching up after getting home from our family vacation. I got charged a fee in my basic Paypal account for my May cashout. I looked up the rules because I was not expecting to be charged. It said something about certain transfers will incur a fee of a flat amount plus a percentage. I think one of the transfers mentioned was Paypal to Paypal. I will not be surprised if I get charged a fee for my next payout, but it still stinks. I opened a basic account just so I could avoid the fees.

memanana
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Cashed out to paypal and was charged a fee Was never charged a fee before Does Sunshine do personel checks?????

askomsky
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Well the rules have now changed and that STINKS! I cashed out for $150 via paypal and this is the first time I got charged a fee. They took 4.65! Not that it's a lot in the grand scheme of things but it is when your earning every penny and dollar on SR. That just makes me made that paypal is now taking fees from personal basic accounts. I opened this 2nd account just avoid the fee's and now I guess they want their share. :headache:

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do bc I refuse to give paypal any of my SR money!

memanana
06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
My cashout was for 125.00 and they took out $4.23 I agree with you that may not seem like a lot but why should they have it!!!! :(

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
We didn't do anything different this time. That stinks that they are taking your money. :( Did it happen to everyone? It may make paypal a less enticing option than the gift cards if they are going to continue to do that.

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Yep, they stole from me as well. $7.41!!! That's a lot. They didn't even send out any warnings, which makes it worse. Well, that's their first and last time. I hope they enjoy it. I will no longer be using their services.

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Well the rules have now changed and that STINKS! I cashed out for $150 via paypal and this is the first time I got charged a fee. They took 4.65! :headache:

April, my cashout was for 145. and they took $7.41. I wonder why it was such a big difference?

memanana
06-30-2009, 05:15 PM
What makes me mad is that I already cashed out for some money that will be taken out the end of July So I guess they will be helping theirself to some more of my money I need cash right now that is why I did not go for a gift card. :cry:

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
What makes me mad is that I already cashed out for some money that will be taken out the end of July So I guess they will be helping theirself to some more of my money I need cash right now that is why I did not go for a gift card. :cry:

Maybe you can cancel the cashout. It doesn't hurt to ask.

wilsonfamily4
06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I also cashed out yesterday for paypal!!!!!! I don't think I would have if I knew they were taking a fee. DARN PAYPAL.

askomsky
06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
We didn't do anything different this time. That stinks that they are taking your money. :( Did it happen to everyone? It may make paypal a less enticing option than the gift cards if they are going to continue to do that.
Exactly, no more paypal for me.

Yep, they stole from me as well. $7.41!!! That's a lot. They didn't even send out any warnings, which makes it worse. Well, that's their first and last time. I hope they enjoy it. I will no longer be using their services.
Same here, I refuse to use them for cash outs anymore, they won't be getting my money.

April, my cashout was for 145. and they took $7.41. I wonder why it was such a big difference?
Not sure, this is my cashout from 5/29:
#1705292 Paid Signup: RH: Stay Healthy 0.75 Credits 06/30/2009 Paid
I requested $145.35 to be transfered into my bank account.

m 'n c
06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
This didn't make too much sense but it might make some to someone out there.

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Effective Date: June 3, 2009

Beginning June 3, 2009 PayPal user agreement is being amended as follows:

1. Section 4.2 of the user agreement will read as follows:

?4.2 Receiving Payments for Commercial Transactions and Personal Transactions.
a. Fees depend on whether you are making a commercial transaction or a personal transaction. A commercial transaction involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a ?request money? using PayPal. A personal transaction involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

b. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a personal payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept personal payments.?

2. Section 8 of the user agreement will read as follows:

8. Fees. All fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

Fees depend on whether you are making a commercial transaction or a personal transaction. A commercial transaction involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a ?request money? using PayPal. A personal transaction involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

Personal Transactions. Fees depend on the payment source that the sender selects. The amount of the fee will be shown at the time the payment is sent. The Fee is paid by either the sender or the recipient. The sender decides who pays.

Domestic Personal Transactions - U.S. sender and recipient. Sending / Receiving Payments:

Payment Fully Funded by PayPal Balance or Bank -> Free

Payment Fully or Partially Funded by PayPal Credit, Debit Card, or Credit Card -> 2.9% + Fixed Fee (see below)

Commercial Transactions

Domestic - Commercial Transactions - U.S. sender and recipient
Sending (Buying) -> Free
Receiving (Selling) -> Standard rate:2.9% + Fixed Fee (see below)

Merchant rate (requires one-time application, qualifying monthly sales volume, and account in good standing)
Transaction Fees: Monthly Sales Volume:
2.9% + Fixed Fee $0.00 - $3,000.00
2.5% + Fixed Fee $3,000.01 - $10,000.00
2.2% + Fixed Fee $10,000.01 - $100,000.00
1.9% + Fixed Fee $100,000.01 and over

International - Commercial Transactions - The sender is outside the U.S.
Sending (Buying) Free unless using the PayPal Plug-In

Cross Border Fee for Sending (Buying) using the PayPal Plug-In
Applies only to payments made to a non-U.S. seller 1%
Receiving (Selling)

Standard rate:3.9% + Fixed Fee (see below)

Merchant rate (requires one-time application, qualifying monthly sales volume, and account in good standing)
Transaction Fees: Monthly Sales Volume:
3.9% + Fixed Fee $0.00 - $3,000.00
3.5% + Fixed Fee $3,000.01 - $10,000.00
3.2% + Fixed Fee $10,000.01 - $100,000.00
2.9% + Fixed Fee $100,000.01 and over

wilsonfamily4
06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Do you think Tricia with these changes you could send an email to any of us who cashed out in June letting us retract our paypal cashout? I would rather not send any of my money to paypal!
I do understand if that isn't going to be possible I was just hopeful.

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Do you think Tricia with these changes you could send an email to any of us who cashed out in June letting us retract our paypal cashout? I would rather not send any of my money to paypal!
I do understand if that isn't going to be possible I was just hopeful.

Unfortunately, there is no way in our system to just cancel them. We would have to manually credit the accounts back. Then all of those manual credits would show up for tax purposes for us as payouts. And they would count toward Super Member status as well.

I'm sorry that Paypal is screwing you over. :(

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't notify us of these changes. They are always sending emails for solicting purposes. Communication is key if you want to keep customers. If they would have notified us, I think it wouldn't feel as though we are been taken advantage of. I understand that it cost money to run a business, and that's fine, but let me know before you start dipping into my money. I also think they are going to lose a lot of traffic because of this.

This was only my second time cashing out. I thought it was kinda cool to get my earnings in cash. Thankfully I'm not in need of it though, so back to gift cards I go.

Thanks for other options, Tricia!:)

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry, April. My cashout was for 245.00.:)

wilsonfamily4
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for letting us know tricia. I fully understand as a CPAs wife. It just really stinks that paypal is being so silly about money. I won't becashing out through them anymore either. Back to gift cards. The sad thing was I was really debating on an amazon gift card or paypal, as this money is going for Christmas shopping. Figured paypal money would allow me to shop through SR and earn more credits! O, well.

kimntrent
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
In light of this has any thought been put into visa gift cards?

jtowner
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I was charged a fee today for the first time at paypal for my SR payment.
I had another payment without a fee. I was told if the payment is sent with the sender paypal balance or bank card there is no fee for me, if it is sent with credit card or debit card then I am charged 4.9% plus .30 per transaction.

Trish is this true statement, the payment I got for May had no fee. I want to know if paypal told me the real deal. Can you clear this up for me. I know other people have been asking this question. I thought they charged fees if you had a upgraded account, with paypal debit card. I am confused.

Jtowner:sunshine:

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I think Paypal lied to you. We had all of the money sitting in our paypal account when it was paid out to everyone. I think it was really the change that they made to all of your accounts as of June 3. I'm guessing whoever told you that at Paypal didn't even know the new policy.

I wonder if the other payment that was given to you was done as a personal payment instead? Under what Cate posted, people could have their accounts cancelled for calling them personal payments if they are not really. :(

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I just went in and added some language to the cashout pages so that at least people will know that they might get assessed a fee. Can you imagine how much money Paypal is making all of a sudden??

wilsonfamily4
06-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I just went in and added some language to the cashout pages so that at least people will know that they might get assessed a fee. Can you imagine how much money Paypal is making all of a sudden??

A LOT

amarazas
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry that this happened to so many; but I will not be using PayPal either. I was just sitting here thinking of what I was going to do with my $$; well it's not going to PAYPAL!

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm really shocked that they would make such huge changes without emailing everyone. But I don't remember seeing an email about it either.

Blessing and Miracle
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM

I know the economy has had an effect on everyone, but I do think a lot of people or using it as an excuse to get over.

jnorth1007
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Just a thought. This is probably going to effect the people who do paid bloggin or online earning where the money is sent via paypal too. I haven't seen it yet but I bet they apply this fee to the $20 I will be getting from PayU2blog on Friday and also from the $2 I am going to be getting from Opinion Place. Imagine the companies who do cashouts and payments through them. Craziness!

SunshineGirl
06-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I know the economy has had an effect on everyone, but I do think a lot of people or using it as an excuse to get over.

Yeah...it seems odd to think that Paypal would need to make this major of a change just because of the economy. That's a huge change to their system.

jtowner
06-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the response Trish. My other payment was from lightspeed surveys, I cash out for paypal and there was no fee. I am so confused, I do think it was paypal that is not telling the real deal here. I need to do some more investigations into this. Thanks you for your answer.

Jtower:thanks:

jnorth1007
06-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I would be willing to bet you will start seeing the same fees from Lightspeed through paypal so consider the possibility before you cash out or whatever over there. I will report back this week when Opinion Place sends me a payment. I only make $1 or $2 there every few months SO not worth paying a fee LOL

askomsky
06-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I would be willing to bet you will start seeing the same fees from Lightspeed through paypal so consider the possibility before you cash out or whatever over there. I will report back this week when Opinion Place sends me a payment. I only make $1 or $2 there every few months SO not worth paying a fee LOL

I'm guessing that maybe the payment was made before their deadline and or the amount was too small to take a fee?

I also get pinecone research paid through paypal now what's that $3 a pop? How much can they take from me there?

jnorth1007
06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Don't ask that too quick LOL you might just be suprised. I think they would be in for a lot of trouble if they don't take fees from every payment from a business. They could lose more business than they care to see.

missymouse
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Are those of you receiving Paypal payments talking about cashouts requested in May still? My history says June 1 for a $500 cashout but I have not received it. Just to make sure should I receive it June 30 or July 1 or will I receive it July 31st. I have never done Paypal before.

Blessing and Miracle
07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Are those of you receiving Paypal payments talking about cashouts requested in May still? My history says June 1 for a $500 cashout but I have not received it. Just to make sure should I receive it June 30 or July 1 or will I receive it July 31st. I have never done Paypal before.

Yes, we are talking about May cashouts. And if they took over 7 dollars from my 245. then you're looking at about 15. being deducted from your deposit. :(

askomsky
07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Yes, we are talking about May cashouts. And if they took over 7 dollars from my 245. then you're looking at about 15. being deducted from your deposit. :(

yeah June's will post 7/31, these were all from May.

That stinks that their getting so much, bc I'm sure their making a lot this month off of people who didn't know any better. Bet if they compare their numbers a month from now it'll be a big difference.

marcymajor
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
i cashed out to paypal on 6/22 for a little over $400 so if they charge a fee it would probably be about $12. worked very hard to make this money and i don't think it is fair that paypal should charge us fees for using their service. is there any way you can possibly send us checks as a cashout option as i already have enough gc for amazon and there are just so many gift cards you can get?

sunshinecindy
07-01-2009, 09:03 AM
i cashed out to paypal on 6/22 for a little over $400 so if they charge a fee it would probably be about $12. worked very hard to make this money and i don't think it is fair that paypal should charge us fees for using their service. is there any way you can possibly send us checks as a cashout option as i already have enough gc for amazon and there are just so many gift cards you can get?

Checks will never be an option. That would take so much of our time and be costly enough that by time we charged for our time, postage, the checks etc, you might as well pay the paypal fees.

SunshineGirl
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
There are a couple of problems with us doing checks...and it is the reason that most reward sites do not do them. We would have to completely change our banking because we do not currently have an account where we write checks (we do everything online). We would also then have to buy check software and have something built to integrate it with our system. That would mean having to pass those costs along to the members in some way (either assessing a fee for having a check sent or cutting back the percentages that we pay out or something). Then add to that the administrative nightmare of tracking which checks clear and which don't. Then if people say they didn't get them, they would want us to put a stop on them (which costs money) and reissue them.

I know it's unfair that Paypal all of a sudden did this. They really should have given some notice. I'll be curious to see what other sites are doing to compensate. Maybe they are going to absorb the fees but then pass them on somewhere else? I can't imagine any site just eating a 3% loss in revenue all of a sudden, especially given how bad revenue is across the board right now anyway.

marcymajor
07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
:thanks: Tricia and Cindy for answering my questions and i totally understand where you are both coming from. what about visa or mastercard gift cards as a payout option?

3dog2kidmom
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
:thanks: Tricia and Cindy for answering my questions and i totally understand where you are both coming from. what about visa or mastercard gift cards as a payout option?

There are fees on those too.

We all work very hard for our money on here. You have to remember that it's FREE money, and you can't expect the people who send it to you to do so for free. Paypal is a business and they have to make their money somehow.

Why not cash in for Target or Walmart gift cards that you can use for things you need everyday?

chipndale
07-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Why not cash in for Target or Walmart gift cards that you can use for things you need everyday?

I like your idea! I just cashed out with paypal because I am not planning a Disney trip any time soon :cry: So I thought that I would cash out and use the money for what the kids and I want to do this summer. Next time, I will cash out with gift cards to Target or Walmart. Then, I can pay myself the money and use it as I please. No more Paypal for me.

askomsky
07-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I like your idea! I just cashed out with paypal because I am not planning a Disney trip any time soon :cry: So I thought that I would cash out and use the money for what the kids and I want to do this summer. Next time, I will cash out with gift cards to Target or Walmart. Then, I can pay myself the money and use it as I please. No more Paypal for me.

It is a good idea, and have been also cashing out for Target and Regal.
My problem is like Lisa my SR money was for vacation and even when we do go back to WDW we "may" (Still not sure yet) stay OP so I was hoping to use the cash for that. Like I said not a big deal just need to re-think what/how I'm going to do it.

I know Paypal needs to make money too, but they really should have emailed/warned everyone, they did NOT give notice, obviously or so many of us wouldn't have been blind-sided. I'm more upset with the fact that they didn't notify me first, then the business actually trying to make money.

Kittykat
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't trust PayPal any further than I can throw them.

My question is this: when we're paid through SR is it considered a Personal Transaction or a Commercial Transaction? When I read the "definition" for both of them at PP neither of them really seem to fit cashing out at rewards sites.

Fees depend on whether you are making a commercial transaction or a personal transaction. A commercial transaction involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a ?request money? using PayPal. A personal transaction involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

We're not receiving money for goods are services, are we? Is our participation here considered a "service" that we're paid for?

SunshineGirl
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't trust PayPal any further than I can throw them.

My question is this: when we're paid through SR is it considered a Personal Transaction or a Commercial Transaction? When I read the "definition" for both of them at PP neither of them really seem to fit cashing out at rewards sites.

We're not receiving money for goods are services, are we? Is our participation here considered a "service" that we're paid for?

I do think that they consider it a commercial transaction because it isn't friends or family. :( I think that is the crux of the problem.

Kittykat
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I do think that they consider it a commercial transaction because it isn't friends or family. :( I think that is the crux of the problem.

Kind of an amorphous rule, isn't it? PayPal is getting trickier and trickier.

And besides, I'm sure we're all related somehow. :p

mollyeilis
07-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I noticed that change in wording the other day on the page.

But reading through this thread, I see:

Personal Transactions. Fees depend on the payment source that the sender selects. The amount of the fee will be shown at the time the payment is sent. The Fee is paid by either the sender or the recipient. The sender decides who pays.

Domestic Personal Transactions - U.S. sender and recipient. Sending / Receiving Payments:

Payment Fully Funded by PayPal Balance or Bank -> Free

Payment Fully or Partially Funded by PayPal Credit, Debit Card, or Credit Card -> 2.9% + Fixed Fee

Now if the sheer volume of what SR is sending out triggers it to be considered Commercial, then the fees are based on what SR is making, it seems. (from an part that I didn't quote in this post)

But if it can be considered Personal, and I feel it is b/c Commercial means something is being bought and sold, then it seems that SR should be seeing something new in the wording when they go through the June cashouts, and could consider using fully funded balance or bank, to try to make sure there are no fees.

Just my thoughts based on the stuff that could have gotten lost at the end of the copy/paste from paypal's info.

jnorth1007
07-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Tricia already sends the money fully funded from her Papal account. She doesn't have it pulled from an account. The money comes directly from her paypal account so that isn't the issue. The issue is that paypal is going to charge the fee anytime a business sends you money as opposed to a friend or family. This means if the paypal account were registered as Tricia Meyer and she sent me $20 it wouldn't be charged. The account is registered as a business so they pay. I think this could have much further reaches. Here is what Paypal says:

Within the US (in USD):
Payment Method Send Money Receive Money
Personal transfers to friends and family Fully funded by:
PayPal balance
Bank account
Free Free
Fully or partially funded with:
Credit card
Debit card
PayPal credit
2.9% + $0.30 per transaction

Fee is paid by the sender or recipient-sender decides.

Making a purchase, i.e. goods, services, or eBay items All
Free 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD
This is the portion that relates to us. This means that it is free for Tricia to send it but the person recieving it must pay 2.9% + $.30
Outside the US (in USD):
Payment Method Send Money Receive Money
Personal transfers to friends and family Fully funded by:
PayPal balance
Bank account
0.5% to 2% -- varies by recipient?s country.

Fully or partially funded with:
Credit card
Debit card
PayPal credit
3.4% to 3.9% + $0.30 USD -- varies by recipient?s country.

Making a purchase, i.e. goods, services, or eBay items All
Free (unless using the PayPal plug-in) 2.9% - 3.9% + $0.30

If Tricia were to try to get around this by sending from an account using her name instead she would get caught just because of the sheer volume of payments she makes. I don't know the answer except to assume that you will pay the fee if you decide to use paypal.

jtowner
07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I have this answer from paypal today. If this is correct then the fees seem to be able to be corrected. I am not sure if this is correct or not. It seems to me since this person gave her name and other information out, she must be sure of what she is saying. Again not sure, Sr can you verify this statement?

Jtowner

Thank you for contacting PayPal, my name is Dayna and I am happy to
assist you today.

I understand that you would like to know why you got a fee when you
received a payment.

As for an update, all Personal PayPal accounts will no longer have a
$500.00 USD monthly limit anymore so you may receive as many payments as
you want. Along with this update, there will be receiving fee of 2.9% +
$0.30 USD for each payment out of sales regardless of which funding
source was used. *Based on the last payment you received for $63.00 USD
which was sent as \"Goods/Other\" that considered as sale. For future
non-profit payments, the sender must select Personal as the type of*
payment and the recipient will never be charged of the fees. However,
when they use a credit card that will be given an option to pay for the
fee or let the recipient pay for it.

We know situations like this can be difficult, so thanks for working
with us. If you have more questions, visit our Help Center by clicking
\"Help\" in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Sincerely,
Dayna
PayPal Consumer Support
PayPal, an eBay Company

jnorth1007
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I just went and checked out the payment page like I was going to send a payment. I see now that there is a second tab that says personal and you have the option to choose:

-gift
-payment owed
-cash advance
-living expense
-other

I don't remember ever seeing these options or tab before. Perhaps it is something they just addes with the changes that have been made. It would seem that perhaps SR can use the "payment owed" under personal since they are not selling goods or services. I can only say that there would need to be a guinea pig who would be willing to lose the fee if paypal decides to charge the fee anyway. The fact that SR sends many paypal payments each month may trigger it as commercial but it would seem that it can be done using this tab and classification without trying to fool paypal and it may mean there would be no fees.

SunshineGirl
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
We definitely paid for it out of our Paypal account. We've always made sure that we had enough money in there so that no one would ever be charged a fee. And we processed every one of them individually. When I go in and look at the amounts, I don't see any fees anywhere. That's the odd thing. Every single payment went through just like it normally does. It didn't show any fees when we processed them and it shows that everyone got payments of the full amount.

I fear that if we marked them as something non-profit, one or both of us would end up in trouble. One of the terms someone else posted was that if you accepted things as non-profit that were not really, you could have your paypal account taken away from you. I'd hate to have anyone get in trouble.

I did see one comment from a member (not in the forum) that talked about some people using mass pay to make payments and as a result incurring the cost themselves. We have never used the mass pay because we individually verify every account for fraud before we process each cashout.

Looking at the responses below, you can imagine how much it would cost for us to start adding all of these fees to the cashouts on our end. We have people that cash out as soon as they hit $25, every time, multiple times a month. That's hundreds of cashouts at .40 a piece before you even factor in the 3%. :(

jnorth1007
07-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Tricia is the personal tab on the send payment screen new? Is that the tab you use for sending payments or do you send as good and services payment? I am just wondering if they added this tab and if perhaps we start sending through the personal tab as money owed it would prevent the fees.

m 'n c
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Tricia, I received payment from another source yesterday and it shows the gross amount paid but when you look at the confirmation for payment sent/received you see the fee going out and the "net" amount paid. You might not see it from your side though.

In any case, I'll just think about future payouts and try to utilize the gift card option more than the cash option.

3dog2kidmom
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Just a thought. This is probably going to effect the people who do paid bloggin or online earning where the money is sent via paypal too. I haven't seen it yet but I bet they apply this fee to the $20 I will be getting from PayU2blog on Friday and also from the $2 I am going to be getting from Opinion Place. Imagine the companies who do cashouts and payments through them. Craziness!

I just received a Pinecone payment and they did not take a fee out of it.

SunshineGirl
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I just received a Pinecone payment and they did not take a fee out of it.

I'm guessing that they have always used the mass pay system because they are so big and had just figured those costs into their payouts from the beginning. We were never big enough to use the mass pay option.

Blessing and Miracle
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I think it's like I stated before, everyone is trying to capitalize on "blame it on the economy" even when they aren't necessarily suffering themselves. Which is fine, my problem is that they (Paypal) didn't notify us of these changes before this new policy became in effect.

I, personally, wouldn't expect for Sunshine to be responsible for this new fee that Paypal has adopted whether they had the option to or not while processing June payouts and or any future payouts.

I'm just thankful that Sunshine Rewards offer other ways to cashout. And I'd rather pay the .44 cent for postage to receive a gift card.

Although today I'm not in need of cash, I don't know what tomorrow holds, and if I do become in need, then I'll just close my eyes, cash out and be thankful that I can still receive my payout through Paypal.

Thank you, Tricia for running such an honest and respectful reward site. :heart:

askomsky
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I think it's like I stated before, everyone is trying to capitalize on "blame it on the economy" even when they aren't necessarily suffering themselves. Which is fine, my problem is that they (Paypal) didn't notify us of these changes before this new policy became in effect.

I, personally, wouldn't expect for Sunshine to be responsible for this new fee that Paypal has adopted whether they had the option to or not while processing June payouts and or any future payouts.

I'm just thankful that Sunshine Rewards offer other ways to cashout. And I'd rather pay the .44 cent for postage to receive a gift card.

Although today I'm not in need of cash, I don't know what tomorrow holds, and if I do become in need, then I'll just close my eyes, cash out and be thankful that I can still receive my payout through Paypal.

Thank you, Tricia for running such an honest and respectful reward site. :heart:

I agree with you 100% and that's what I was most upset about was not being warned. I would not expect SR to change the way they do things, nor eat the cost. It just means we either find other ways to cash out or bite the bullet should we want the cash.

SunshineGirl
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Can I just say that I am starting to hate the word "paypal"? LOL!!

jgates8
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Tricia - Pinecone is evidently doing something different. It might be worth contacting them (Pinecone, not paypal) to find out how they manage it. I did not receive a fee from them either, and it would display on the recipients (my) end if they charged it. In other words, they did not send $3.55 cents in order to make sure I received $3. They sent $3 and I netted $3.

jnorth1007
07-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I do believe there must be a cashout option for just this type of thing because the same thing happened with my payment from PayU2blog. They sent 25.00 and I recieved 25.00. I just have to wonder what options these other places are using and if it is an option open to SR. Not a big deal for me really because I don't cash out for paypal for SR anyways. This is Disney money through and through LOL so I only ever get gift cards. I do get payments from other places for blogging and it they aren't paying it and paypal is considering it legal then I don't want SR to have to charge/pay it either.

amykmi
07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Tricia - Pinecone is evidently doing something different. It might be worth contacting them (Pinecone, not paypal) to find out how they manage it. I did not receive a fee from them either, and it would display on the recipients (my) end if they charged it. In other words, they did not send $3.55 cents in order to make sure I received $3. They sent $3 and I netted $3.

Same with ************. No matter how much I cash out for, I receive the full amount through Paypal, unlike with SR. :(

EDIT: Ooops ... "that other program" I mentioned is a banned word around here? Sorry -- didn't know!

amykmi
07-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm disappointed to see that this issue is only being addressed on the cash out page as a problem with the "type" of Paypal account we have. This is not true. I do not use my Premiere account for any reward program payments, I use my personal one which doesn't have any fees taken out from any program except SR. Clearly, this is a SR problem, since I'm not losing money with any other program payments.

:(

sunshinecindy
07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Same with ************. No matter how much I cash out for, I receive the full amount through Paypal, unlike with SR. :(

EDIT: Ooops ... "that other program" I mentioned is a banned word around here? Sorry -- didn't know!

Please read the stickies concerning mentioning other reward sites and non SR merchants. Its all explained in there.

SunshineGirl
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm disappointed to see that this issue is only being addressed on the cash out page as a problem with the "type" of Paypal account we have. This is not true. I do not use my Premiere account for any reward program payments, I use my personal one which doesn't have any fees taken out from any program except SR. Clearly, this is a SR problem, since I'm not losing money with any other program payments.

:(

Unfortunately, this was an issue with Paypal, not with us. They changed their terms for the RECEIVERS of the money, not the senders. We know that everyone has a choice to make which paid click programs they want to use and know that this may be what causes people to use other sites besides ours. However, we can only do so much on our end and continue to be profitable. Our payouts are set such that we cannot absorb fees for every cashout, postage cost, etc. Some of that has to be passed along. While we appreciate the feedback on this issue and were already looking into what we were going to do going forward, the fact remains that last month's paypal cashouts have already been processed and there is nothing we can do about them now.

askomsky
07-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately, this was an issue with Paypal, not with us. They changed their terms for the RECEIVERS of the money, not the senders. We know that everyone has a choice to make which paid click programs they want to use and know that this may be what causes people to use other sites besides ours. However, we can only do so much on our end and continue to be profitable. Our payouts are set such that we cannot absorb fees for every cashout, postage cost, etc. Some of that has to be passed along. While we appreciate the feedback on this issue and were already looking into what we were going to do going forward, the fact remains that last month's paypal cashouts have already been processed and there is nothing we can do about them now.

I completely understands SR's stance on this, but I thought from Janet's post earlier it was the way the companies chose to pay? I took it to mean (and i could be totally wrong) that companies like pay2blog or pinecone are paying a different way but it could be "questionable" on how they choose to pay. SR not wanting to risk anything (and this is where I'm totally ok and understand where your coming from) is paying the way paypal set the new terms.

I am just trying to still understand it all, since like Janet said pinecone (just last week) paid me and no fee's were taking out. I have already decided to look at other options within SR for cashing out, I just want to be clear on what paypal is doing or not doing.

Thanks!

SunshineGirl
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Angie and I have actually been working on this quite a bit this week. The problem is that unless we do a mass pay, we can't find any alternative in Paypal to NOT having the recipient pay the fees. So we are going to try a mass payment thiis week (which costs us 2%), but we don't know what will happen for sure. We didn't want to tell everyone not to expect the fees this month in case it didn't work. But we can't exactly go asking other rewards sites how THEY do it. LOL! So we were just going to try what we THINK will work and hope that it does.

askomsky
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Angie and I have actually been working on this quite a bit this week. The problem is that unless we do a mass pay, we can't find any alternative in Paypal to NOT having the recipient pay the fees. So we are going to try a mass payment thiis week (which costs us 2%), but we don't know what will happen for sure. We didn't want to tell everyone not to expect the fees this month in case it didn't work. But we can't exactly go asking other rewards sites how THEY do it. LOL! So we were just going to try what we THINK will work and hope that it does.

Thank you for the clarification as always your right on top of things... BUT I do NOT want SR to have to pay to give ME money, KWIM? If Pinecone and pay 2 blog are willing to pay the 2% then that's their business choice, again I would rather find another alternative to cashing out then to have SR or myself loose any money. I understand your a business and have to make money, I wouldn't expect you to eat the cost of GIVING ME FREE money!

As always thank you for such wonderful customer service. :D

I'm saving "up" for something so I didnt' cash out this month...

SunshineGirl
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
I just processed the June cashouts. They charged us 2% under the new system, so I am crossing my fingers that they didn't charge any of the rest of you anything else. Let me know if you were one of the people who cashed out in June how it worked out on your end.

marcymajor
07-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Tricia-just got my cashout from june to paypal and no fees were taken out all all. what i requested was exactly what i got. :thanks: so much for my cashout and i will continue to use paypal as one of my cashout options as long as they continue to not take out any fees. have a wonderful friday and a great weekend.:sunshine:

askomsky
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Tricia-just got my cashout from june to paypal and no fees were taken out all all. what i requested was exactly what i got. :thanks: so much for my cashout and i will continue to use paypal as one of my cashout options as long as they continue to not take out any fees. have a wonderful friday and a great weekend.:sunshine:

That's great to hear it really is....:)

Just makes me sad to know that SR has to pay for it.

loretta32965
07-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Mine came through as well with nothing taken out, thank you!

marcymajor
07-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Tricia-i'm truly sorry about the 2% you had to pay. next time i cash out i will use another option so that sr doesn't lose any money on my behalf.

wilsonfamily4
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
I also DID NOT get hit with a fee. I thank you for that. Now that I know things have changed in the paypal word I will cash out other ways. I can always find something to cash out for, amazon.com or Disney cards.

loretta32965
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking the same thing. I was surprised that Paypal took out the fees without any notification but I don't really mind paying them. Everyone has to make money in business. It's ALL FREE money for me anyway!:rotfl:

m 'n c
07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Not to make things difficult or worse but maybe you could set the paypal cashout to deduct a 1% fee and we could split the 2% with SR so that way SR isn't absorbing the entire fee. It could be similar to the postage fee included in the gift card cashouts.

I mean it is $1 per every $100. I think I could spare the cost of a survey every now and then when I need to cash out.

Just a thought.

SunshineGirl
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Interestingly, it looks like the fees are also capped at $1 per transaction. So it actually costs us less if someone cashes out for $100 every two months rather than $50 every month. The cashouts for $25 every month are more expensive than the ones who wait 4 months to cash out for $100. So we may want to look at just changing the minimum cashout as well and continuing to pay it ourselves but having people cash out less often.

jgates8
08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
We would definitely be better to redeem for $50 paypal with a $51 deduction than to pay them the .35 transaction fee and 3% (1.85) or even worse as it gets higher redemptions - as long as you are sure you are capped at $1 per transaction. A $100 cash out for $101 is definitely also better than $103.35, etc etc etc.

askomsky
08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Interestingly, it looks like the fees are also capped at $1 per transaction. So it actually costs us less if someone cashes out for $100 every two months rather than $50 every month. The cashouts for $25 every month are more expensive than the ones who wait 4 months to cash out for $100. So we may want to look at just changing the minimum cashout as well and continuing to pay it ourselves but having people cash out less often.

Sounds good to me, whatever makes it easier on SR where they don't lose money. Or like Cate said do something where we can eat the $1. Much rather "pay" SR the 1 per transaction then paypal getting to much more from any of us.
I don't mind since we're already doing almost that for gift cards.

sunshinecindy
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
My suggestion would be to give a 50.00 cashout option for anyone wanting to absolutely cash out, but charge the 51.00 for it, for someone waiting till the 100.00 mark, charge 100.50 and for anyone over that, SR would pay the dollar themselves. That might entice members to wait to cashout till later saving fees all around for everyone, but still give those that absolutely need the money earlier the option, with them paying the fee. Just a thought.

jgates8
08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds very fair to me. I should be doing paypal for cash, but I can't spend my Disney g.c.'s anywhere around here - so those WILL be there when it's time for our vacation!!! Paypal will disappear into grocery money I am sure........

chipndale
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
My suggestion would be to give a 50.00 cashout option for anyone wanting to absolutely cash out, but charge the 51.00 for it, for someone waiting till the 100.00 mark, charge 100.50 and for anyone over that, SR would pay the dollar themselves. That might entice members to wait to cashout till later saving fees all around for everyone, but still give those that absolutely need the money earlier the option, with them paying the fee. Just a thought.

Cindy's suggestion sounds fantastic. I would rather wait and cash out less often if it meant that SR or I would be charged less.

gpp2001
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I have never cashed out via Paypal but have been thinking about it as we have a cruise planned in October and then no big Disney plans - we have season tickets to Disneyland and don't spend a lot when we go. I would rather save my SR money for a big vacation such as Germany nest year. But when I heard about the fees associated with Paypal I was a little disappointed. But wouldn't mind waiting to cash out in larger sums (I am currently at $497.48, trying to get to $500!!!)

Thanks for all you do for us!!!

Karn

askomsky
08-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I have never cashed out via Paypal but have been thinking about it as we have a cruise planned in October and then no big Disney plans - we have season tickets to Disneyland and don't spend a lot when we go. I would rather save my SR money for a big vacation such as Germany nest year. But when I heard about the fees associated with Paypal I was a little disappointed. But wouldn't mind waiting to cash out in larger sums (I am currently at $497.48, trying to get to $500!!!)

Thanks for all you do for us!!!

Karn

WOW! Awesome!!!! :clap:

I agree. Cindy's idea is the best.

jtowner
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I also was not charged a fee this time. I had a thought some places use direct deposit for cash out. Is that a option for SR.

Jtowner

SunshineGirl
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I also was not charged a fee this time. I had a thought some places use direct deposit for cash out. Is that a option for SR.

Jtowner

Honestly, I would rather us not have a copy of people's bank account numbers anywhere for liability reasons. People already send us hate mail telling them to stop charging their credit cards or their phone bills for offers and threatening to sue us. We kind tell them that they never gave us any of that information, so how could we be charging them? At least with the Paypal, no one will ever be charged anything unless they agree to it within paypal.

jtowner
08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Ok I can understand that. thanks for your response.

Jtowner