PDA

View Full Version : Fees on gift cards

bajam
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I know that some gift cards charge a monthly fee. The terms are probably different with most,but I think it usually has to do with when it was purchased. Do these rewards gift cards do that? How long does SR have them before we get them?

jnorth1007
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I dont really know about all of the GCs that are offered but I know for sure that Disney GCs do not expire or charge fees.

sunshinecindy
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
We generally go through our bunch every couple months. There is no fees for them. Most of them are reloadable so there is no charge if you don't use them within 12 months. Landrys is the only one that says "you may be charged a 1.50 fee over not being used for 12 months" but I had one from Bonefish that said that, I used it last week, it was 18 months old and it was full value when I used it. Another one says "good for 85 months". Planet Hollywood and KFC are "dollars" so they do not ever expire.

bajam
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Good to know. Thanks for answering so quickly!:)

DisneyMa
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I *believe* in the state of CA GC do not expire. Does anyone know if this is true?

m 'n c
09-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I *believe* in the state of CA GC do not expire. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm not sure which states have that law but I know quite a few have it now. I think Louisiana is one. Maybe try googling it?

sunshinecindy
09-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I think there were some laws just passed in legislature that prohit the gift card dormance fees. From what I saw, it had to state an exact date of expiration, and of course, none of them so. i double anyone who gets a gift card isn't going to use it within 6 months anyway.

belbook
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I saw something on TV about the gift card industry. It said that if people don't use a gift card within 3-6 months, they tend not to use it all. The industry makes a lot of money on gift cards because lots of people don't ever use them. What a racket!

SunshineGirl
09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I saw something on TV about the gift card industry. It said that if people don't use a gift card within 3-6 months, they tend not to use it all. The industry makes a lot of money on gift cards because lots of people don't ever use them. What a racket!

That's what drives me crazy about some of these companies that refuse to make any deals with us on the gift cards (*cough* Walmart *cough* Target). We KNOW that they are making money off of them but they act like they are not.

disney_girl
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Before my son, I worked at RadioShack and was in charge of the GC's. Even though the cards stated that an amount was deducted after so many months, we weren't actively doing it. It wasn't feasible for us to handle the maintenance of it at the time. But the wording was there for the future. I have found that some companies do deduct the monthly amount and others do not- kind of hit or miss. And it is true that they do not deduct in the state of CA- there may be other states as well, but I am only positive on CA.

sunshinecindy
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
That's what drives me crazy about some of these companies that refuse to make any deals with us on the gift cards (*cough* Walmart *cough* Target). We KNOW that they are making money off of them but they act like they are not.

I think there is some sort of bill before the senate now, or just up, that said they have to give the govt a certain portion of those unclaimed gc amounts. Leave it to our govt to get there hands in on this.