PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom - WDW

m4travels
09-12-2009, 05:52 PM
PD and I were at the announcement today at the D23 Expo in Anaheim - Fantasyland expansion at Walt Disney World coming 2012. Fantasyland will be nearly double in size and will be largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom.

The artists' drawings look fantastic!

pbhall13
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Do tell more!!!????? Did they show the type of rides they were going to construct???

Pamela

m4travels
09-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Dumbo will now have two "arms" for riding and there is no queue in essence. The walk up to the ride (at least at this point) appears to be an interactive set of games (or something similar) that gets you set for the ride.

The princesses will each have their own area (right now it appears to be Cindy, Snow, and Belle) where you interact with them in their various settings. It seems to be a MAJOR meet and greet type situation with lots of interaction.

3dog2kidmom
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Dumbo will now have two "arms" for riding and there is no queue in essence. The walk up to the ride (at least at this point) appears to be an interactive set of games (or something similar) that gets you set for the ride.

The princesses will each have their own area (right now it appears to be Cindy, Snow, and Belle) where you interact with them in their various settings. It seems to be a MAJOR meet and greet type situation with lots of interaction.

OMG that sounds fantastic!! Thanks for sharing. How cool for you to have been at the announcement!

SunshineGirl
09-12-2009, 10:02 PM
It's definitely going to liven things up down there. I'm hoping that my girls will not be too old for the princesses by the time it is done. You know how most kids go through that "uncool" phase before it becomes cool again to like Disney?

faithhope
09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
My kids are older... so I hope there are some rides planned...

Thanks for sharing... it is good to know what is coming.
I guess my grandkids (maybe in 15 years I'll have some) will enjoy this...

bbangel
09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Sounds exciting. So glad I bought into DVC so I know that I will be getting there to see it!

m4travels
09-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Oops! Bad reporting on my part...

No Snow and the little men (at least this time around.....) but Ariel will have a new ride.

Also, there will be a new restaurant for Belle and the Beast and something called Gaston's Tavern.

Cub reporter (and not a very good one) signing off!

gpp2001
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Shhhh! DH is working on this project!! It sounds really cool form what he has told me, unfortunately it's top secret but I don't really know anymore than what Dude has shared.

I probably shouldn't be sharing but I just can't help myself!!:D

The princess meet and greet is going to be really cool. A lot more interaction than what is happening now.

And we've had discussions about Gaston's Pub and we are disappointed that it's going to be a pub that doesn't serve beer (No alcohol in the Magic Kingdom)!!

fourfoxesinpa
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds exciting. So glad I bought into DVC so I know that I will be getting there to see it!

And just as good to be a Disney stockholder. I :love: when this kind of news comes out! :clap:

ETA: Just found this link with some add'l info. Cool stuff coming up!

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN1235015420090912?rpc=44

speechteachri
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Very interesting!!

chipndale
09-13-2009, 09:14 PM
How exciting! I too hope that my DD7 will think that it is cool and want to check it out. I hope she still likes the whole princess theme as much as she does now.

linda23p
09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
:party: cant wait

pbhall13
09-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Really looking forward to the new additions! Thanks for sharing!

Pamela

m 'n c
09-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I think they are finally making that Little Mermaid ride which will be really cool. I just wish they would announce what else they are doing. While I love Meet & Greets I just hope the whole expansion is't just meet & greets but some new rides too. I also read that there will be a new restaurant - Be Our Guest - which will be cool.

LuvMyBoys
09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, I hope that doesn't mean that they are getting rid of Goofy's Barnstormer?? :( The article makes it sound like only Mickey and Minnie's houses are going to be retained from the Toon Town area??

I wish there would be some more focus on things for boys, I know that the princesses and fairies are what sells, but it makes it hard to keep boys interested when Disney seems to focus 99% on girls! :headache:

SunshineGirl
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, I hope that doesn't mean that they are getting rid of Goofy's Barnstormer?? :( The article makes it sound like only Mickey and Minnie's houses are going to be retained from the Toon Town area??

I wish there would be some more focus on things for boys, I know that the princesses and fairies are what sells, but it makes it hard to keep boys interested when Disney seems to focus 99% on girls! :headache:

I read somewhere that they are re-theming Barnstormer to fit with the new "circus" area that Dumbo is being moved to.

I also read that they are trying to make the "princess" area appeal to more people by adding a lot of stuff for the villains as well.

LuvMyBoys
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I read somewhere that they are re-theming Barnstormer to fit with the new "circus" area that Dumbo is being moved to.

I also read that they are trying to make the "princess" area appeal to more people by adding a lot of stuff for the villains as well.

I really hope they do keep it. My DS5 loves that ride, there are a lot of memories for us on that ride too, it is the first coaster for all of my boys :(

I am interested to see how they balance out the boy/girl aspects of the new area. I am so glad we went again this year to have another trip before the changes, it's hard to see it change - even if it is for the better :)

m 'n c
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Adding the Villians would be a fun addition and one that would appeal to a larger group of people. I'll be interested to see what other information starts to come out on the new expansion.

gpp2001
09-14-2009, 06:12 PM

The reason they are focusing on the princesses is because most of WDW is focused on boys. Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland - those are mainly for boys or gender neutral and they felt they needed more for girls.

fanofree
09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
For all that are worried that your little princess will out grow the princesses... Wait until they are 21, take them to a wine luncheon during Food and Wine Festival and you'll both go hug a princess! :blush:

Seriously, this is so exciting. I love to see new ideas, even though I get sad to see changes in old favorites.

LuvMyBoys
09-15-2009, 09:38 AM
The reason they are focusing on the princesses is because most of WDW is focused on boys. Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland - those are mainly for boys or gender neutral and they felt they needed more for girls.

I read similar comments on the Dis and I respectfully disagree. :angel:

Adventureland has Pirates - how many girls don't like pirates? How many ladies out there don't enjoy the POC ride? Not many. There were just as many girls and women at the Captain Jack's pirate tutorial when we were there as boys. Other than that you have the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse - all gender neutral in my opinion, not focused on boys.

Same with Frontierland - it's western themed but I don't see a cowboy camp, cowboy makeover boutique, cowboy meet and greets, gunshooting lessons, a saloon with special character meal with Woody and Friends, etc.

Instead it is thrill rides (BTMRR and Splash) and shows (Country Bear, etc), very gender neutral.

Same with Tomorrowland - Stitch, Buzz, COP, Space Mountain, Indy Speedway - all things that are enjoyed by everyone and gender neutral.

Seriously, does anyone have a daughter that doesn't like to do certain parts of MK because they are too "boyish"?? :confused:

Disney Princesses and Fairies sell, I get that. I'm sure my boys will like to see the new land once it opens, especially if Disney gets some pretty princesses. But the constant focus on princesses/fairies/Hannah Montana/etc is getting a little overwhelming :)

AlternateEgo
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Ohh i really cant wait fot the expansion :) I love princesses

It doesn't help that I have three daughters either ;)

MouseUnlimited
10-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry to dredge up a thread from a few weeks back, but I thought I'd share some info on the upcoming FL expansion.

The expansion is going to engulf what is currently Pooh's Playful Spot, the area that used to be 20K Leagues, and all of Toon Town. Construction will have very little impact on daily operations and should not cause any current rides to close.

There is going to be a new Castle Courtyard Wall that separates the current Fantasyland from the new Fantasyland. All of the current rides and shows will remain.

There will be a handful of Princess areas. For example, Aurora will get a cottage and will celebrate her 16th Birthday with guests in an interactive meet-n-greet, and Belle will have a little town square area.

They will build the Beast's castle back behind the carousel, near Pinocchio's Village House, with a new Quick Service and a new Table Service restaurant.

The one exception to "no rides being disrupted" will be Dumbo. They are moving Dumbo to the new circus area where Toon Town is now, and they will replicate the Dumbo spinner so that they essentially double capacity. There will be a tent where guests play interactive games and wait their turn to get on the ride.

Between Fantasyland and the new Circus area will be a Pixie area. It will be similar to the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS in that guests shrink as they walk into the area to meet the Pixies.

The biggest endeavor will be the new Little Mermaid ride. They're building it first out at Disneyland, and WDW's should be done in 2012. It will be a dark ride (like Haunted Mansion), but you ride in clamshells that face sideways (like the Nemo ride in Epcot). It will use similar technology as Nemo, where you see beautiful full-size sets with animated characters and animatronics superimposed. It will be a full-sensory experience with actual movie soundtracks playing.

To read more about the Fantasyland expansion, and view renderings, check out this entry (http://www.mouseunlimited.com/blog/archives/72-Fantasyland-to-Double-in-Size%21.html) on my blog.

To read more about the Little Mermaid ride, and see pictures and renderings of it, check out this blog entry (http://www.mouseunlimited.com/blog/archives/73-Little-Mermaid-E-Ticket-Ride-Coming%21.html).

Enjoy!

-tom

m 'n c
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for adding the information. I am interested in seeing how it all shapes up.

Have you heard any updates on the plans for Mickey and Minnie's respective homes? I heard they were relocating but not much else. :(

m 'n c
10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Disney Princesses and Fairies sell, I get that. I'm sure my boys will like to see the new land once it opens, especially if Disney gets some pretty princesses. But the constant focus on princesses/fairies/Hannah Montana/etc is getting a little overwhelming :)

Up until now I'd say well everything goes in cycles over there. I mean a few years back Stitch was all over and now he's fading out but building all these cottages for princesses is a little more permanent so I can see why there is some feeling of overwhelment on the "girlie" front. My only hope is that we will start seeing some comic book characters soon.

gpp2001
10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for adding the information. I am interested in seeing how it all shapes up.

Have you heard any updates on the plans for Mickey and Minnie's respective homes? I heard they were relocating but not much else. :(

That's top secret - DH won't even share this info with me!!

m 'n c
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
That's top secret - DH won't even share this info with me!!

Ugh. Can you at least assure me that they won't be homeless and I can go visit?

gpp2001
10-08-2009, 08:44 PM

They are going somewhere - they will not be homeless!!! They are not replacing Mickey and Minnie with the princesses - they are just relocating them!!

MouseUnlimited
10-08-2009, 10:25 PM

The bad news is that Mickey's and Minnie's actual houses are more than likely going to be demolished, since they're in the way of new construction (according to current plans).

The official word from Disney is that M&M will find new homes "near the front of the park". The fairly reliable inside word on this is that they'll be back in the Exposition Hall on Main Street, like they were many years ago - before Birthdayland/Toon Town. They won't have new houses (since they wouldn't fit in on MSUSA), but they'll have a dedicated meet area, likely with some interior remodeling and theming.

Some speculated that they might be moved to DHS and have their homes re-built, but that would be sacrilegious because we all know M&M live in the Magic Kingdom!

fanofree
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
The bad news is that Mickey's and Minnie's actual houses are more than likely going to be demolished, since they're in the way of new construction (according to current plans).

The official word from Disney is that M&M will find new homes "near the front of the park". The fairly reliable inside word on this is that they'll be back in the Exposition Hall on Main Street, like they were many years ago - before Birthdayland/Toon Town. They won't have new houses (since they wouldn't fit in on MSUSA), but they'll have a dedicated meet area, likely with some interior remodeling and theming.

Some speculated that they might be moved to DHS and have their homes re-built, but that would be sacrilegious because we all know M&M live in the Magic Kingdom!

:cry: I LOVE THEIR HOUSES! :cry:

fauntleroyfan
03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
has anyone been there recently to see if any work has started?

spring
03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I was there the beginning of February and, although I didn't specifically go there, I didn't notice anything different from the train.

PSL1013
03-12-2010, 01:41 PM
has anyone been there recently to see if any work has started?

Not been there recently but got this Disney email with some info:

Fantasyland Expansion Updates
The Walt Disney World blog reported on March 3 that the park has officially broken ground on the Fantasyland Expansion in the Magic Kingdom. Recently revealed details include names and information about individual princess areas. At Dreams Come True with Cinderella, guests can meet Cinderella in her country home or train to be one of her Royal Knights. Briar Rose Cottage will be home of the Sweet 16 party thrown by the three good fairies for Aurora. Guests can also be transported from Belle's father's cottage to Beast's castle via a magic mirror. The new area will also include Be Our Guest Restaurant inside Beasts's castle. Also in Belle's village will be Gaston's tavern. Ariel & friends will be stars of a new ride-through attraction featuring songs from the movie. Construction on the expansion is planned to take three years, with the new Fantasyland opening in 2013.

Also announced at the D23 event held over the weekend: Mickey and Minnie's houses, currently found in Toontown, will not be demolished, but will be a part of the update.

fauntleroyfan
03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Not been there recently but got this Disney email with some info:

Fantasyland Expansion Updates
The Walt Disney World blog reported on March 3 that the park has officially broken ground on the Fantasyland Expansion in the Magic Kingdom. Recently revealed details include names and information about individual princess areas. At Dreams Come True with Cinderella, guests can meet Cinderella in her country home or train to be one of her Royal Knights. Briar Rose Cottage will be home of the Sweet 16 party thrown by the three good fairies for Aurora. Guests can also be transported from Belle's father's cottage to Beast's castle via a magic mirror. The new area will also include Be Our Guest Restaurant inside Beasts's castle. Also in Belle's village will be Gaston's tavern. Ariel & friends will be stars of a new ride-through attraction featuring songs from the movie. Construction on the expansion is planned to take three years, with the new Fantasyland opening in 2013.

Also announced at the D23 event held over the weekend: Mickey and Minnie's houses, currently found in Toontown, will not be demolished, but will be a part of the update.

thanks for the info, i am thinkig they will do as much as they can to the parts that dont have stuff right now before they close anything done to work on it.

LuvMyBoys
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
We were there just over a week ago and we didn't notice anything starting. The boys were sure to ride Goofy's Barnstormer a few times, it was a big favorite for all of them when there were little :cry:

I hope the changes are good, I hope they make that area have more of a "flow" too instead of feeling like a dead end.

Blessing and Miracle
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I hope they add Princess Tiana and the Frog somewhere in the mix.

Can't wait to see all of the new additions.