PDA

View Full Version : New here & Disney Visa question

Arky
05-18-2007, 01:40 PM
This is my first post, but I've been lurking. I just discovered this site within the last 2 weeks and I'm already hooked.

Thank you to all that put the info out there to help us all. I much appreciate it. Tricia, thanks for all the info and help.

I'm a SAHM. We homeschool our 3 kids. We are on a limited budget, and I think this will help with our DL trip.

Here's my question - Do you recommend the Disney Visa? I'm very interested in doing it. Anyone who wants to refer me?

Amy

SunshineGirl
05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
We used it and had terrible luck with it. They raised our rates all of sudden on the basis of the fact that we had OTHER credit cards with high limits. They told us that we were "high risk" because we could go run up all of our cards and file bankruptcy. But we had never missed a payment, always paid more than the minimums, etc. I talked to Chase at length because I do all of my banking with them (including my business banking) and they basically just told me that the credit card division sucks.

I think it is really great for earning for Disney if you use the card the right way. That is, don't carry much of a balance. If you do, you run the risk of them increasing your rate and then you are stuck. But I think that if you can pay it off each month or not carry too much of a balance, you can get some good rewards out of it. I would love to have one again, but Chase just hasn't been good to us. We get much better rates through other companies.

wilsonfamily4
05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I like them but we pay it off every month so I don't have to worry about interest rates. It is nice knowing whatever we put on there gets us something extra for Disney. And then cashiers are like "are you saving for Disney?" Starts conversations.

PSL1013
05-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm a charter member with the Disney Visa...have had it since Day 1 and have never had a problem with it what so ever. That being said, we have never carried a balance on it and pay it off every month, maybe that's the key as Tricia stated? We pay for our WDW Annual passes every year using the rewards points we accumulate on the card...we pay for absolutely everything we can with this card and the points add up very quick. I love our Disney Visa, hey they pay for our tickets to get into WDW, what's not to love!!! :love:

SunshineGirl
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm a charter member with the Disney Visa...have had it since Day 1...

You're going to break SunshineGuy's heart when he reads this. We were charter members, too, with the "Day 1" on the card. When we cancelled it, it was almost like a parent saying "This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you." LOL! We didn't want to give up the card because we love all things Disney. They were just so darn unreasonable about the rate once we started carrying the balance!

Maybe we will do it again some day and pay it off every month.

OhMari
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
The Disney VISA gives you $1.00 for every $100 you spend. I did have $135 on a rewards card when I got to WDW.

Plus you can make a reservation with your Disney VISA and have 6 months of free financing to pay it off. I started out by making my downpayment for my trip. Paid that off and got $8.00 in rewards. Then I charged the rest and received another $20 in rewards. My dh made some charges and we paid those off to right away. I have 3 more months to pay off $150 interest free. I had to pay for the dining our last 4 days, cause we rent points from a DVC owner.

I just received a letter from Disney VISA and it said my points will expire in 2011. I think I want to go back in Sept. 08. I have 15 points already. You can use your points in return to pay for your trip too.

PSL1013
05-18-2007, 04:09 PM
You're going to break SunshineGuy's heart when he reads this. We were charter members, too, with the "Day 1" on the card. When we cancelled it, it was almost like a parent saying "This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you." LOL! We didn't want to give up the card because we love all things Disney. They were just so darn unreasonable about the rate once we started carrying the balance!

Maybe we will do it again some day and pay it off every month.

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! :heart: I love looking at mine and seeing "Member Since Day 1" printed on it. I also have my card with the 50th celebration Cinderella Castle on it and I can't tell you all the comments I get when people see it at the cash registers!! It does start conversations all the time! :minnie: :mickey:

missymagic
05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Another charter member day 1 here!! I haven't had any problems either but I always pay off every month. If you have the money to purchase something put it aside use the card and then pay it off immediately. You said you homeschooled...supplies and books can add up pretty good on the rewards points. My points paid for my annual pass renewal.

Good luck.

Alice28
05-18-2007, 10:42 PM
I like it OK for when I only can use a Visa somewhere. I have the tinkerbell design. I'd be happy to refer you- let me know if you still need a referral- i'd love the $25 refer a friend gift card!:sunshine:

Arky
05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I appreciate your advice and info!! Thank you!

I did get a referral - thanks! I applied and I'll have to form my own opinions when it comes.

Amy